Thread: RFI pants for (summer) trail running

RFI pants for (summer) trail running

So I'm new to trail running (and running in general) and enjoying it so far, but where I run the grass & brush is often overgrown enough to hit my legs so I'd like to avoid picking up ticks, poison oak, & fox tails. It will be getting hot soon so I don't want anything meant to keep warm in the winter (which seems to be the category most running pants/leggings fall under). I also don't want to be replacing them every time they snag on manzanita.

Does anything like this exist and, if so, what should I be looking for?

Site Supporter
    Based on my direct and vicarious experience re scouting and training outside for Philmont and shooting classes-Mostly synthetic hiking/climbing pants are the ticket. Washing in Oxy Clean is needed to knock down the inevitable stink.

Proof of concept- sub 25.00 Synthetic hiking/climbing/outdoor pants from Wal-Mart/Target/Warehouse Store

Gold Standard-/ Prana Stretch Zion Pants 89.00 retail, can often be had for 20% off from major retailers to include REI/Moosejaw/Amazon/Prana Inc etc.
    This model has an integrated belt, gusseted and ventilated crotch and the cuff is both reinforced and can be rolled up and snapped in place. At the expense of stating the obvious, the lighter the cooler the cooler they will be to wear AND will provide the most color contrast to ticks.

I am sure that other reputable outdoor clothing makers have similar offerings-Sierra Trading Post is a place to start on name brand closeouts that will likely shoot the gap price wise. Eddie Bauer at 40% off or better as well.

Let us know what you do.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 05-18-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

My personal opinion - The only time I run in anything other than shorts is when it gets below freezing. Above 32F, and I'm in shorts. Every body has a different comfort zone, but all trail runners I know run in shorts when it's warm enough, and just deal with trail junk. Ticks back here are pretty bad in June and early July, but that just comes with the territory (along with man-eating deer flies). I've come home from runs and rides with over a dozen ticks on me. But the thing I dislike the most about running and riding in the summer is being the first on the trail in the morning and clearing the spider webs off the trail with my face.

Prana Zion shorts and pants work well.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have had great luck with these pants.

https://www.costco.com/weatherproof-...100703216.html

I picked them up in my local Costco for just a general knock around pant. They became my go to for all activities. I got soaked in a downpour and these pants were dry less than an hour later. They don't have a gusseted crotch but the stretch material and the stitching handle activities well.

For the price you can't go wrong.

I always wear pants when running biathlons. Knees get tore up otherwise from briars and crawling. I also find that sun exposure really kills me in an enduro race.

The best I've found for hot weather is Outdoor Research Ferrosi. Lighter than the Prana Zions with a better fit(for someone who actually runs). Cuffs have a cinch cord which can be nice for keeping the pant legs from catching on stuff. Also works well for rolling up the pant legs to knee height.

I've run ~125 miles in obstacle races with my current pair. Definitely covered in stains and shows pilling where Velcro and pouches are rubbing. Still completely serviceable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    My personal opinion - The only time I run in anything other than shorts is when it gets below freezing. Above 32F, and I'm in shorts. Every body has a different comfort zone, but all trail runners I know run in shorts when it's warm enough, and just deal with trail junk. Ticks back here are pretty bad in June and early July, but that just comes with the territory (along with man-eating deer flies). I've come home from runs and rides with over a dozen ticks on me. But the thing I dislike the most about running and riding in the summer is being the first on the trail in the morning and clearing the spider webs off the trail with my face.
    +1, especially the part about the spider webs. And blood offerings to the trail gods are part of the deal as well.

User Tag List