Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod help

@ASH556, nice! Now get rid of that ballhead and get a leveling base.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @ASH556, nice! Now get rid of that ballhead and get a leveling base.
    Yep, working on it. That ballhead is the cheap garbage one that came on the Mini Pro. I just stuck it on there mostly so I wouldn't loose it in case I ever wanted to use it for a camera or something. Saddle and leveling base yet to be acquired.

Wondering about the BOG Deathgrip
    https://www.amazon.com/BOG-Arca-Swis...2141599&sr=8-1

or maybe even this super Chinesium unit:
    https://www.amazon.com/Saddle-Tripod...2141642&sr=8-3

Instead of a $135 Pig Saddle. I'll never have a 15 or 20lb precision rifle in this thing. Just hunting rifles and/or maybe a 14.5" 5.56 AR with something in the 10X or 14X top end for glass.

Any thoughts/experience there?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Any way to mount an Arca plate your rifles? That's a way better option. The Bog saddle looks ok.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Yep, working on it. That ballhead is the cheap garbage one that came on the Mini Pro. I just stuck it on there mostly so I wouldn't loose it in case I ever wanted to use it for a camera or something. Saddle and leveling base yet to be acquired.

Wondering about the BOG Deathgrip
    https://www.amazon.com/BOG-Arca-Swis...2141599&sr=8-1

or maybe even this super Chinesium unit:
    https://www.amazon.com/Saddle-Tripod...2141642&sr=8-3

Instead of a $135 Pig Saddle. I'll never have a 15 or 20lb precision rifle in this thing. Just hunting rifles and/or maybe a 14.5" 5.56 AR with something in the 10X or 14X top end for glass.

Any thoughts/experience there?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Update to the journey in hopes of helping others:

I got an Arca Swiss MLOK plate from the 'zon and and had this rifle set up on it

But I ended up ditching that entire upper and didn't want a plate dedicated on the upper I replaced it with. Furthermore, I wanted the opportunity to clamp other rifles in that don't have provision for plate mounting (hunting rifles, kids' .22's, etc). So I ended up picking up the BOG Clamp unit I linked earlier in the thread:

That thing is a sack of hot garbage! Their Arca Swiss plate was out of spec and the clamp would slide out of the Arca clamp. I added a strip of grip tape to each face of the plate and it solved that problem, but even so, the clamp just had too much play in it even with a rifle tightly clamped. Basically you couldn't move the rifle to the target and then lock the ball head. The clamp had enough movement in it that you'd have to basically over-shoot the target, lock the ball head, and then let the rifle settle back onto the target. PITA!

So I ditched that clamp and picked up this Sunwayfoto unit that appears to be a clone of the Really Right Stuff unit, but for the same price as the BOG unit. This thing is rock solid and makes me happy. This will do everything I need and want a rifle tripod to do for me. Not saying this is the go-to for a dedicated PRS rig or anything, but certainly much better than any of the tripods marketed at hunters and recreational shooters for a fraction of the price of a full RRS setup.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Update to the journey in hopes of helping others:

I got an Arca Swiss MLOK plate from the 'zon and and had this rifle set up on it

But I ended up ditching that entire upper and didn't want a plate dedicated on the upper I replaced it with. Furthermore, I wanted the opportunity to clamp other rifles in that don't have provision for plate mounting (hunting rifles, kids' .22's, etc). So I ended up picking up the BOG Clamp unit I linked earlier in the thread:

That thing is a sack of hot garbage! Their Arca Swiss plate was out of spec and the clamp would slide out of the Arca clamp. I added a strip of grip tape to each face of the plate and it solved that problem, but even so, the clamp just had too much play in it even with a rifle tightly clamped. Basically you couldn't move the rifle to the target and then lock the ball head. The clamp had enough movement in it that you'd have to basically over-shoot the target, lock the ball head, and then let the rifle settle back onto the target. PITA!

So I ditched that clamp and picked up this Sunwayfoto unit that appears to be a clone of the Really Right Stuff unit, but for the same price as the BOG unit. This thing is rock solid and makes me happy. This will do everything I need and want a rifle tripod to do for me. Not saying this is the go-to for a dedicated PRS rig or anything, but certainly much better than any of the tripods marketed at hunters and recreational shooters for a fraction of the price of a full RRS setup.

How do you like that Nightforce 1-8?

User Tag List