Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod help

Tripod help

I have a buddy that does cool military things for a living. I've known him, hung with him, each others' weddings, shot together, etc for 20 years now. He's got tons of cool gear he's picked up along the way, but isn't really a gear guy and just uses what he likes, but doesn't usually know where it came from, etc. Anyway, he's got this little table-top size tripod with a nylon saddle and I asked him about it. He gave me a spare saddle he had, but couldn't tell me anything about the tripod. This is where I need y'all's help. Ideally I'd like one tripod to do it all, but realize that may not be realistic and I may need two.

Goal 1: table-top tripod, somewhat height adjustable for shooting off bench or prone in the field, some for me (sighting in rifles), but also mostly for kids.
    Goal 2: in-blind hunting tripod, would work for supporting gun from seated position, see pics below from where I tried the concept with a cheap Amazon tripod I have. Love the concept, but the tripod isn't up to the task.

Whatcha got?

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Anything prosumer up from Manfrotto has worked very well for me. Bogen and Gitzo are other no-BS brands. I haven't shot guns off one, but have used a Manfrotto tripod under a Nikon on three continents for approaching 25 years.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This is the tripod I use - Feisol From Brownells. I find it to be easier to use (more important) and lighter than Shadowtech's tripod.
    It can also get relatively low to the ground - approximating a high prone.

For your purposes--and I'm assuming you're not concerned about achieving the lightest system possible--a used aluminum Gitzo or Bogen/Manfrotto would be a great choice. ]
    Last edited by oregon45; 05-18-2021 at 04:48 PM.

Site Supporter
    Here is a tripod solution that is worth considering.

http://www.shotassist.net/

https://www.amazon.com/Exempt-Shot-A...1393919&sr=8-1

Full disclosure: I have this client's permission to disclose that I am his patent attorney.

OP: Also study up on shooting techniques with tripods. You can do things like hold a backpack/shooting pillow under the crook of your shooting arm for more stability, combine monopod with a tripod, etc...
    You may want to get something like a Hog Saddle so the rifle is completely supported by the tripod.
    I have mixed feelings about the Shotassist. It looks somewhat flimsy and proprietary. I would suggest going with a regular tripod of your choosing.

Have a look at this and following posts:

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Chinesium leveling base inbound. I'll report on how it works
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0882KQL9W/
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Have a look at this and following posts:
    Can you link the thread?

I ended up buying the SLIK 700 pro dx tripod. I decided on it, bought it and then actually found it for sale on several PRS type sites, so that made me feel better. After handing it and installing my saddle, it’s going to do half of what I wanted (the field/hunting stuff) but it’s way too big for tabletop use, so I also picked up the SLIK Mini Pro for a tabletop tripod. Now I’m thinking of a proper ball head and saddle for the big tripod...we’ll see.

Name:  6E38EB4B-5FD2-458E-81D7-4CE215B94145.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  61.9 KB
    Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Can you link the thread?
    Sorry. I thought I had.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....40#post1152440
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Got the big tripod camo'd up with some of that gauze wrap stuff. Sorry about the foot pic...someone said I could make big money on the internet with it, but I'm not sure.

Also picked up a SLIK Mini Pro II to fill the tabletop spot I was wanting. Works a treat (as the Brits would say). I used it today to zero the new Vortex I put on one of my favorite rifles (that has been scopeless for too long): A 10/22T SS given to me as a Christmas Gift by my beautiful, amazing wife our 2nd Christmas together. It's been to Que (if you know, you know) for bolt work, and also had the barrel cut back to 16 and threaded. He was kind enough to make me a thread protector out of the cut piece of barrel and timed it so that the spiral forging marks line up. Still on the fence about the trigger, but probably just going to leave it alone, just like I did the last 10 times I thought about doing something with the trigger

Last edited by ASH556; 05-27-2021 at 12:50 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice

User Tag List