Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First RDS setup

First RDS setup

Recently having a convo with a buddy who is interested in dipping into the RDS scene and was looking for input as to as first time setup.
    Glocks are the only thing under consideration but the question is which one?
    17 or 45 MOS not anything custom cut. Probably wont even put sights on it at least initially.
    RDS again which one and dot size. Its almost impossible around here to find a red dot to look through. I have only seen a few Trijicon’s maybe a Houlson and never a Leupold. Of course I really havent been looking for them either.
    One concern is astigmatism.
    This is just a trial run nothing serious no concealed carry. Mostly range time maybe for classes or matches possibly bedside at some point and if it ever was pressed into that use it would be with a WML.

Thanks in advance for the input.
    Oh and the other benefit the sooner we get him into a gun the sooner I will get to try this 😎
    Last edited by UNK; 05-18-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Recently having a convo with a buddy who is interested in dipping into the RDS scene and was looking for input as to as first time setup.
    Glocks are the only thing under consideration but the question is which one?
    17 or 45 MOS not anything custom cut. Probably wont even put sights on it at least initially.
    RDS again which one and dot size. Its almost impossible around here to find a red dot to look through. I have only seen a few Trijicon’s maybe a Houlson and never a Leupold. Of course I really havent been looking for them either.
    One concern is astigmatism.
    This is just a trial run nothing serious no concealed carry. Mostly range time maybe for classes or matches possibly bedside at some point and if it ever was pressed into that use it would be with a WML.

Thanks in advance for the input.
    Oh and the other benefit the sooner we get him into a gun the sooner I will get to try this 😎
    No real advantage to the 17 unless he already has one for parts portability. That aside, 45 all day.

Holosun 407c at $210-$240 new, under $200 used.

Done.

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17 View Post
    No real advantage to the 17 unless he already has one for parts portability. That aside, 45 all day.

Holosun 407c at $210-$240 new, under $200 used.

Done.
    I thought I remembered that a shorter barrel was better but i couldn't remember for sure. What was the reasoning for the shorter barrel?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I don’t think there’s much of a measurable difference in performance characteristics.

Which makes it subjectively different based on preferences. You can put a 45 slide on a 19 frame giving you a second configuration option. I feel the balance is better with a shorter slide (not a big deal), I like the recoil impulse of the shorter slide (not a big deal).

From ground zero?

I’d get a G45 MOS plus a HS 507c and a Forward Controls OPF-G,RMR plate.

Even though I’ve never shot one, a G45 scratches my itch for a ‘do all’ Glock. The 507c has switchable Circle, dot, and circle dot reticle, side loading battery, solar augmented power, auto mode, 12 brightness levels, shake awake and is affordable. The FC plate is nitride Steel, very robust and far superior to the MOS plate.

The Red Dot Sights folder might be the place for this.

No comment on 17 v 45. I agree with 507c
    David S.

The Red Dot Sights folder might be the place for this.
    Forwarded to admin
    David S.

I went with a Glock 17 mos with cphws v4 plate and holosun 407c v2 and Dawson precision mos black sights. Literally just finished putting it together Saturday. Never looked through a holosun before and I have an astigmatism too. Just doing some dry fire work with it the red dot is totally worth it.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Site Supporter
    If you are worried about not being able to see the dot correctly because of an Astigmatism I would try the vulcan reticle. It will also help you out to align the optic:

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-...t-acss-reticle

User Tag List