Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First RDS setup

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    If you are worried about not being able to see the dot correctly because of an Astigmatism I would try the vulcan reticle. It will also help you out to align the optic:

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-...t-acss-reticle
    Interesting idea that it might help with astigmatism. Have you seen or heard any evidence that it helps?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I thought I remembered that a shorter barrel was better but i couldn't remember for sure. What was the reasoning for the shorter barrel?
    Shorter barrel is easier to track in the recoil cycle when shooting multiple shots quickly. Main advantage to longer barrels is sight radius but that’s a moot issue with an RDS.

Holosun 407C if you can find one, if not I think it’s worth the extra $$ for a 507C just for the reticle option.

Put it on a CHPW or Forward Controls plate. Both are superior to the Glock factory plates.

Site Supporter
    If you are worried about not being able to see the dot correctly because of an Astigmatism I would try the vulcan reticle. It will also help you out to align the optic:

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    Interesting idea that it might help with astigmatism. Have you seen or heard any evidence that it helps?
    IME the issue with astigmatism is the LED, not the fact that it’s a dot.

I have and in point micro style Holosun optic with the AC SS Rifle reticle and without glasses it’s just as bad as a dot.

Scope shadow does help a little bit when learning alignment hence tube style optics and those that mimic them like the SRO are a little easier. I would need some hands-on time with the Vulcan reticle to say whether it would be equally effective.

I dont know if I read this here or somewhere else the recommendation was to use polarized glasses for people who have astigmatism. Anyone heard of that?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

I have and in point micro style Holosun optic with the AC SS Rifle reticle and without glasses it’s just as bad as a dot.
    I think I know what you meant to type, and agree. IME with the micro style 20mm sights, the ACSS reticle was worse than a plain dot when it comes to an astigmatism. A double Chevron looks a helluva lot worse than a bursty dot.

This is comparing a Holosun ACSS micro to the standard circle dot micro.

Site Supporter
    My astigmatism is pretty slight, but occasionally I I will see a blob vs a dot. I don't ever have this issue with the vulcan reticle. Maybe see if there is a local store where you can look at it first, or make sure the return policy is good from where you buy it....

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post

My astigmatism is pretty slight, but occasionally I I will see a blob vs a dot. I don't ever have this issue with the vulcan reticle. Maybe see if there is a local store where you can look at it first, or make sure the return policy is good from where you buy it....
    Ive personally given up on it due to extreme astigmatism. Ill be sure to pass on all the recommendations though.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

The astigmatism blob is still likely smaller MOA than your front iron sight. Just put the blob on the target and send it

It may be worth trying the circle dot or other reticles but I feel that in the end, shooting a dot only will be the best way to learn. Mainly because the single dot provides so much feedback to the shooter in terms of how the dot behaves, allowing the shooter to diagnose what they are doing incorrectly. The busier reticle doesn't provide as much feedback, in my subjective opinion. And it covers so much of the target at distance.

I would value GJM's opinion over mine on the benefits of the circle and circle dot. Having the bigger reticle can make it easier for non-technical shooting as he says.

The Vulcan reticle is very sharp to my eyes (my 2.5 SRO is not), however that is not enough to make me like it. I likely will not be leaving it on my main gun after a trial period. A dot beginner may see it differently.

User Tag List