Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50 Cal Kaboom

50 Cal Kaboom

I'm not sure if this is GD, Rifles and Carbines, or Ammunition so:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/viral-ken...175025775.html The link includes the video and interview.

Jeremy Chisenhall
    Mon, May 17, 2021, 10:50 AM
    A “freak accident” on camera nearly killed a former Kentucky State Police trooper who now runs a viral YouTube page with 1.83 million subscribers.

Scott DeShields was shooting a fire hydrant — which was set up at the end of his gun range — with a Serbu RN-50, a .50-caliber rifle, when the gun exploded. Pieces punctured his throat and hit him in the eye, he said.

DeShields is the owner of the Kentucky Ballistics YouTube page, an account that posts videos about guns and ammunition. It’s nearing 2 million subscribers. His other social media pages also have large followings.

“I shouldn’t be standing here, I should be 6-foot under,” DeShields said while explaining the April explosion and subsequent injuries in a recent YouTube video.

File it in the "If you buy the cheapest .50 cal rifle on the market, then stuff it with sketchy SLAP ammo of unknown origin bad things will happen" section.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    I'm not sure if this is GD, Rifles and Carbines, or Ammunition so:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/viral-ken...175025775.html The link includes the video and interview.

Jeremy Chisenhall
    Mon, May 17, 2021, 10:50 AM
    A “freak accident” on camera nearly killed a former Kentucky State Police trooper who now runs a viral YouTube page with 1.83 million subscribers.

Scott DeShields was shooting a fire hydrant — which was set up at the end of his gun range — with a Serbu RN-50, a .50-caliber rifle, when the gun exploded. Pieces punctured his throat and hit him in the eye, he said.

DeShields is the owner of the Kentucky Ballistics YouTube page, an account that posts videos about guns and ammunition. It’s nearing 2 million subscribers. His other social media pages also have large followings.

“I shouldn’t be standing here, I should be 6-foot under,” DeShields said while explaining the April explosion and subsequent injuries in a recent YouTube video.
    He had a vascular injury in a very bad and difficult to access place. I would love to know more details about his surgery. Looks like a full median sternotomy to get control.

He also has no clue calling it a jugular vein injury and then saying he had a stroke risk when they clamped it off. I suspect he had an arterial injury to the right carotid base. Very difficult to access.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    File it in the "If you buy the cheapest .50 cal rifle on the market, then stuff it with sketchy SLAP ammo of unknown origin bad things will happen" section.
    Quoted for truth.

"Designed by a Youtuber that makes silly videos about slam-fire shotguns" isn't exactly a selling point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    Quoted for truth.

"Designed by a Youtuber that makes silly videos about slam-fire shotguns" isn't exactly a selling point for me.
    I saw a Dumb Internet Argument about whether the rifle or the ammo was to blame, to which I would guess "yes."

Shooting that ammo was like having unprotected sex with a meth addict in a gas station bathroom with dirty needles all over the floor.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

If you choose to go with the Dollar General version of a .50 cal rifle and shoot scetchy ammo out of it this shouldn't surprise you.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    That rifle is a Pipebomb.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Just watched the entire video. 85000+ estimated PSI normal should be 55000 psi.
    I feel for the guy but I sure am not wearing a t shirt that says put a thumb in it.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    That rifle is a Pipebomb.
    That was my impression as well.

No way I’m shooting that with a damn threaded connection 2 inches from my face.

Buddy showed me the video the other day. I share the same criticisms already voiced here, but I admire the way they handled the severe medical emergency and it's worth listening to the story.

User Tag List