Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Group suggesting reintroduction of Jaguars into SouthWest US

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Unfortunately, it turns out dire wolves are not closely related to any of our extant wolves or canines. Ancient DNA analyses have actually revealed that they are a distinct, extinct, lineage. So alas, we have no organism to manipulate to make one.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...als-180976765/

This is actually a very recent development. I learned of it last fall, before the paper was published from one of the authors. I had the privilege of serving as a discussion moderator at a (digital) meeting where this was work presented. Very cool stuff.
    Although you crushed a little bit of my soul with your post, thank you for the learning, it was actually quite fascinating to read.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Someone likes to ask the question whether you would support cloning T-Rex or not. I vote no. The way I see it working out is, if you had just one, and it got out, it would do some damage, but we can handle one or a small number. We're pretty good at hunting stuff. However, some a-hole would catch a little one, and instead of killing it, would take it somewhere and turn it loose, then charge people to come hunt it. Rinse, repeat. Before you know it, there would be a breeding population, and people all over would be releasing them here and there to charge people to come hunt them. We'd be overrun because of dumbass "capitalists."
    Yes, but if there's wild T-rexes out there, then that fact would be the ultimate answer to the "bUt yOu CaNt hUnt WiTh ThaT!!11" objections to over-the-counter sales of anti-tank rockets.

The bull pup semi auto Barret comes to mind, out of production, recoil spring housing sat over your shoulder like a bazooka tube.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Yes, but if there's wild T-rexes out there, then that fact would be the ultimate answer to the "bUt yOu CaNt hUnt WiTh ThaT!!11" objections to over-the-counter sales of anti-tank rockets.
    I reckon a technical with Big Mama mounted would handle a T-rex reasonably well. But I'd want the real thing, for sure. None of that weak Barrett sauce.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

*Sasha Siemel liked this post*

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

T-Rex was just a big bird.

Whatever you'd use to hunt a Sesame Street character is probably ideal.

Of course the correct choice is an M1 Garand modified to accept BAR mags.

Site Supporter
    T-Rex was just a big bird.

Whatever you'd use to hunt a Sesame Street character is probably ideal.

Of course the correct choice is an M1 Garand modified to accept BAR mags.
    Still a hipster.

Site Supporter
    Unfortunately, it turns out dire wolves are not closely related to any of our extant wolves or canines. Ancient DNA analyses have actually revealed that they are a distinct, extinct, lineage. So alas, we have no organism to manipulate to make one.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...als-180976765/

This is actually a very recent development. I learned of it last fall, before the paper was published from one of the authors. I had the privilege of serving as a discussion moderator at a (digital) meeting where this was work presented. Very cool stuff.
    Dire wolves in the modern wilderness would probably not compete well with grey wolves anyway. Grey wolves are probably smarter, are better runners, and therefore more efficient predators. I think both species existed at one time, and grey wolves are still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Back when my wife would take me to parties at Berkeley I would often tell people at them how I was strongly in favor in the idea of reintroducing the Grizzly to California. They thought I was a good dude until I suggested we start in downtown San Francisco as it would help with the homeless problem.
    https://komonews.com/news/local/grow...yees-residents
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

On a couple of trips to Hawaii, I learned of the problem of feral goats vs native wildlife, mostly ground nesting birds, and vegetation. They were then fencing off large areas and watching the natives build back up. My idea was open season and publish BBQ recipes. I see now there is a good deal said in favor of shooting out the goats and pigs that was not PC in 1991 and 2001.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List