Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Group suggesting reintroduction of Jaguars into SouthWest US

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    On a couple of trips to Hawaii, I learned of the problem of feral goats vs native wildlife, mostly ground nesting birds, and vegetation. They were then fencing off large areas and watching the natives build back up. My idea was open season and publish BBQ recipes. I see now there is a good deal said in favor of shooting out the goats and pigs that was not PC in 1991 and 2001.
    A Hawaii bow hunting trip for goats is one of my dream hunts.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    T-Rex was just a big bird.

Whatever you'd use to hunt a Sesame Street character is probably ideal.

Of course the correct choice is an M1 Garand modified to accept BAR mags.
    But if he brings along his friend Mr. Snuffaluffagusaurus, you'll need your elephant gun. Fortunately, nobody but T-Rex has ever seen Mr. Snuffaluffagusaurus.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    On a couple of trips to Hawaii, I learned of the problem of feral goats vs native wildlife, mostly ground nesting birds, and vegetation. They were then fencing off large areas and watching the natives build back up. My idea was open season and publish BBQ recipes. I see now there is a good deal said in favor of shooting out the goats and pigs that was not PC in 1991 and 2001.
    So, apparently, on other islands they've had really good success using 'Judas Goats'. The trouble with feral goats is, you jump one and they scatter. But if you radio tag a male, he always returns to the herd. So you can track and systematically murder the whole herd. This is how they have eradicated the feral goat problem on smaller islands in the Pacific.

I have a colleague that has hundreds of jaws and skulls from these eradication efforts on a couple of islands in the South Pacific, really cool dataset overall.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Still a hipster.
    Ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Well, we're not too far off from accidentally releasing tigers and hippos.
    I see the hippos on those rare occasions I venture to the malls. Domesticated mall hippos seem to love soft furry clothing.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I see the hippos on those rare occasions I venture to the malls. Domesticated mall hippos seem to love soft furry clothing.
    Most of the mall hippos I've seen tend to go more for tight and brief clothing.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Most of the mall hippos I've seen tend to go more for tight and brief clothing.
    🤮
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Spray the Illegal Aliens with liquefied cat food and let the Jaguars do their thing.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Curiosity got me. Looks like these things could stand upwards of 13 feet on their hind legs and run between 30 and 40 mph.
    And some distant ancestors of yours and mine hunted them with a combination of spears, balls, and dirty tactics.

Puts the .357 vs .44 magnum for ‘bear defense’ debate into perspective.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List