Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New reloader has some questions

Site Supporter
    I urge you to buy a hand priming tool and not use the Lee Loader to install primers. You will most likely pop one off from time to time, It's scary but not dangerous.

When whacking cases with the hammer, you must use a very firm surface. The floor beats a table top unless this table is a sturdy work bench. The 44 case is thick and somewhat difficult to size. You must use a good lube applied generously. Do you have a drill press? If so, you can use it to force the case into the size die. Harbor Freight has cheap presses that will do this easily. They are not reloading presses but will work for this task. Much less banging.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick from Nebraska View Post
    any idea what a 265 grain fp over 19.8 grains of 296 would feel like?
    There is no .44 mag load using WW296/H110 that is low recoil. That said, I have done no permanent damage to myself shooting a lot of similarly loaded .44s and .45s over the years. Some square back trigger frames like yours wrap the knuckle of my middle finger pretty hard, and that gets old pretty fast. Using the Lee Loader I don't think you're going to want to load enough rounds to hurt yourself. That brings me to another point. I can't recall how durable those European built magnums were. You may want to take it easy with magnums for the revolver's sake as much as your own.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I second the suggestion of 2400 powder. I would also caution to not go below the minimum charge of 296/H110.

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    Mostly OOS as I expected.
    Keep working the problem.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Keep working the problem.

Okie John
    Correct. You can't just wait for it, you have to actively look for it, and you need to stock up when the panic is over. The best time to get into reloading and stock up on components was yesterday. I figured that out after Sandy Hook and that's when I started stockpiling and got a Dillon.
    #RESIST

I get awful nervous loading anything w/o a scale on hand to check my work. Lee and Ohaus make fairly cheap mechanical scales that will serve you well.

If nothing else, a scale can help you check your powder charge consistency as you develop your technique with the dipper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0733LX8V1...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

https://www.google.com/search?q=fran...71229323818650

Digital scales are faster than beam scales, although beam scales won't go out of adjustment and are more accurate. I keep a beam scale in case my digital breaks down, and they do break down.

I might have an old Pact scale I could give you. I'll check.

Looks like I don't have it anymore. Probably a good thing.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-18-2021 at 12:27 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Loading magnum cartridges with slow burning powders is not a very forgiving place to start a reloading career...especially without a scale.

I started handloading with 38 Special. If you can find it, powders like Unique, Bullseye, Winchester 231, and Red Dot (fast burning pistol/shotgun powders), are much more forgiving.

45 ACP and 44 Special are also very easy cartridges to learn to load on.

A kit, like this one: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013004049?pid=121744, will give you everything you need to start. The Lee Loader in 2021 is more of a novelty or thing to use in a pinch. I've always had good luck finding used RCBS stuff. Not only is it high quality, but the factory will generally help you fix it whether you are the original purchaser or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick from Nebraska View Post
    Alright I'll double check the the reloading manual and buy a grain scale. any idea what a 265 grain fp over 19.8 grains of 296 would feel like?

Thanks for all the help.

Nick
    I've owned 2 of these since starting to reload, both work perfect. $21 on Amazon:
    Smart Weigh GEM20 High Precision Digital Milligram Jewelry Scale, 20 x 0.001 Gram, Reloading, Jewelry and Gems Scale, Calibration Weights and Tweezers IncludedSmart Weigh GEM20 High Precision Digital Milligram Jewelry Scale, 20 x 0.001 Gram, Reloading, Jewelry and Gems Scale, Calibration Weights and Tweezers Included

User Tag List