Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Long-term thoughts on my Langdon LTT RDO

“ Another issue I see with middle age and up shooters transitioning to the RDS is due to vision issues many of us get into the habit of presenting ting high to pick up the front sight and dropping it into the rear notch known as “casting” which wastes time and makes it harder /slower to find the dot.”

Bingo. That is my biggest issue.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Red dot screws and plates come in two flavors — those that have come loose and those that will come loose in the future. Imagine if every pistol was milled for an Acro style mount.
    I definitely think the future of mounting is more like that than screws and plates.

Good thread. I really appreciated the hardware quality and cool factor of the LTT RDO on my M9A1, but didn't click with the red dot concept like I wanted to to justify the cost ($900 with optic), and with the price of ammo, retraining myself to be proficient with the new setup was going to be cost and time prohibitive on my primary defensive weapon, so I ended up letting it go.
    I might circle back to it in the future, and I applaud Langdon for putting the time into the platform and getting it right.

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17 View Post
    I definitely think the future of mounting is more like that than screws and plates.
    The entire design utility of an open-emitter sight is it allows top-down screw mounting.

I would bet money that every major player in the optics game has an eye on low-profile, closed emitter designs. Non-traditional (not the bottom of the sight) battery, board, and emitter locations in rugged, enclosed housings definitely look like the next step in getting the lenses as low to the slide as possible, but the lack of a default footprint (509 v. ACRO) is going to be a headache until major pistol manufacturer(s) pick a side (and there may be potential IP issues to sort out).

It’s HDDVD v. Blu-Ray all over again, and we all know the driving factor behind Blu-Ray’s victory...
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    The entire design utility of an open-emitter sight is it allows top-down screw mounting.

I would bet money that every major player in the optics game has an eye on low-profile, closed emitter designs. Non-traditional (not the bottom of the sight) battery, board, and emitter locations in rugged, enclosed housings definitely look like the next step in getting the lenses as low to the slide as possible, but the lack of a default footprint (509 v. ACRO) is going to be a headache until major pistol manufacturer(s) pick a side (and there may be potential IP issues to sort out).

It’s HDDVD v. Blu-Ray all over again, and we all know the driving factor behind Blu-Ray’s victory...
    I thought that Sig / Big Green had pretty much settled that when the MHS program settled on the M17 / M18 with a cut for the RMR.
    Did I get that wrong?
    Not that it became the official industry standard, but it’s pretty easy to read the handwriting on the wall - and when the Army makes the first big handgun optic order, I think it will all but be the official standard.

Not trying to be a Cliff Clavin... if I’m way off base here, please tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I thought that Sig / Big Green had pretty much settled that when the MHS program settled on the M17 / M18 with a cut for the RMR.
    Did I get that wrong?
    Not that it became the official industry standard, but it’s pretty easy to read the handwriting on the wall - and when the Army makes the first big handgun optic order, I think it will all but be the official standard.

MHS is the DPP cut (as are, I believe, the 2011s adopted by the USMS). Other groups within the military have been using RMRs for the better part of a decade (usually on Glocks), but never in a standardized role.

The military is a big contract, but it's not the only contract. Some of the larger LE departments in the US could force a standardization of sorts at the OEM level by either direct adoption or approval of a particular footprint. Many have approved RMR footprint optics for duty use despite the MHS adoption. There are also foreign contracts for which a high-profile equipment trial could influence wider-spread adoption of a footprint at the OEM level.

There are still multiple dovetail cuts and screw mounts for iron sights across manufacturers, so I don't really see a standardized footprint in any capacity driving the market in one conclusive direction. There are still alternatives to the 1913 Picatinny rail in the long-gun world. I think it's more likely that the next gen of handguns will continue to use adapter plates, but the plates themselves will have dovetails or other means of protecting screws from shear stress or loss of integrity due to vibration. A horizontal dovetail with at least one anchoring screw, the head of which engages in a tapered recess in both the plate and the slide itself, and the top of which would be covered by the dot, seems like a pretty bombproof means of preventing a loose plate/loss of zero between battery changes.

Not-so-hot-take: the MOS "screws-on-screws" approach will go the way of New Coke and HDDVD.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I have to say I am coming around to enjoy these RDOs. I still don't trust them fully, and I am still faster with irons (under 30 feet). But you can't beat their ease of use at distance. I am coming around!

1.) Welcome to the club.
    2.) I second the opinion about RDOs being cool.
    3.) I'm having a hard time letting go of irons myself...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Did I get that wrong?

You are way off base here.

- SIG / Big Green defaulted to the Leupold Delta Point pro (DPP) footprint via the MHS, not the RMR. Of course the latest SIG optics (Romeo1Pro) has a DPP-ish footprint that is not 100% compatible with the DPP footprint and USSOCOM are using the RMR on Glock MOS pistols so clear as mud.

- The future of duty optics is closed emitter systems, which are not compatible with the common open emitter footprints due to their top mounted screws. Right now the two closed emitter footprints are the ACRO and Holosun 509. It's unknown what footprint SIG will use for the Romeo2 closed emitter optic. However, the closed emitter footprints could be used for open emitter sights - hence why long term the closed emitter footprints are the most likely contenders for "the standard."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    1.) Welcome to the club.
    2.) I second the opinion about RDOs being cool.
    3.) I'm having a hard time letting go of irons myself...
    Can you still see irons well ?

At some point irons will let go of you.....

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Can you still see irons well ?

At some point irons will let go of you.....
    Cheap way to see your front sight:
    Elvex RX-500C Full Magnifying Lens Safety Glasses with Diopter

https://www.fullsource.com/elvex-rx-...SABEgJpE_D_BwE

User Tag List