Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: There’s nothing special about this ammo, right?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I shot a fair amount (5-6k rounds) of their 115gr and 147gr reman. stuff 4-5 years ago and experienced one squib, and the occasional failure to fire, but nothing terrible. Can’t speak to the 55gr; I’ve shot at most 200 rounds of it. As I recall, it was surprisingly accurate at 50 yards. But again, this was 4-5 years ago.
    I can live with occasional FTF but squibs are bad juju. Even Wolf and Tula rarely have squibs.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I can live with occasional FTF but squibs are bad juju. Even Wolf and Tula rarely have squibs.
    That’s a fair point. I can recognize a squib, but if I’m shooting something like a Bill Drill at max speed, I may not be able to stop shooting fast enough.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    That’s a fair point. I can recognize a squib, but if I’m shooting something like a Bill Drill at max speed, I may not be able to stop shooting fast enough.
    Exactly my concern. The multiple 9mm squibs occurred in a Bruce Gray/Jerry Jones practical fundamentals class class, Jerry actually heard the squib and told the shooter to stop - the shooter didn’t recognize what happened. I think we were shooting at 1” squares but a Bill drill could have been ugly.

Personally, I NEVER “mix” ammo in a batch- I always keep the ammo box until depleted, for traceability in case of a *kB!*

I never shoot reloads I haven’t made myself, but I would definitely not toss the factory box on reloads until the associated ammo has been used.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I have shot thousands of rounds of freedom and have never had issues with the reman pistol ammo. The only issues I ever had were with the rifle ammo. I had 1 (of thousands) where the casing separated in the chamber.

I would shoot it without worrying about it. Or feel free to send it to me and I’ll shoot it for ya.
    Pretty much this, with regard to 9mm, .380, .38spec, and .45acp. All has worked fine. I cannot comment on the rifle lines.

That said, I still don’t like to mix brands in my ammo cans. If a problem were to ever develop, I’d want to know exactly who made what I was shooting. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Fwiw, it’s either get dumped in with the rest or dumped in the trash.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I'm one of those who stopped buying FM ammo back in 2016, due to their ongoing QC problems. That, and their pricing started getting ridiculous. That and their 147gr at least was horrifically temperature sensitive as the temp dropped; it would keyhole out of my 92G (but not out of my P30L) in indoor ambient temperatures 50F or below.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    FM marked 9mm cases have a bad rep among those of us who load our own because they have a ledge inside the case instead of a taper. This leads to the potential for cases separating at the ledge, especially if you load them up to 9mm major/Open gun pressures. Supposedly it's much less likely to be an issue at "normal" pressures, but I still wouldn't ever use them to load my own when there's so much good brass available. As far as just shooting them goes, I don't see a big problem with using them for practice, but if you're in a competition, I wouldn't take the risk.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I can just dump them
    In with the rest of my 147 and 55 grain range ammo, respectively?
    Experience from several years ago with ~10k rounds or so...

Majority of FM reman (9/223) was fine.
    Some case head separations in .223.
    A few case failures in 9mm.
    Some palpable charge differences in 9mm, I think that was confined to their lowest end range-ammo line.

Experience with CS varied. One was the gold standard of problem response. One was bad and I quit trying.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Fwiw, it’s either get dumped in with the rest or dumped in the trash.
    Is that pic the extent of the stash? You should just go shoot it all at once, and flex on the poors. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List