Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There’s nothing special about this ammo, right?

There’s nothing special about this ammo, right?

I can just dump them
    In with the rest of my 147 and 55 grain range ammo, respectively?

Name:  915026B6-ACCE-4564-BF2E-D92E79C5EF01.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  85.0 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

We had a guy on here (... or was it the IDPA email list of the '90s... fuck I'm old) who relentlessly shilled for Freedom. TMK their reloads have a fair chance of sucking, and I would keep them segregated.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    We had a guy on here (... or was it the IDPA email list of the '90s... fuck I'm old) who relentlessly shilled for Freedom. TMK their reloads have a fair chance of sucking, and I would keep them segregated.
    Well, that’s annoying if true.

If other corroborate same, I’ll just bin them. Not worth the hassle at this point.

FWIW this stuff would be from probably 7-10 years ago.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I shot a fair amount (5-6k rounds) of their 115gr and 147gr reman. stuff 4-5 years ago and experienced one squib, and the occasional failure to fire, but nothing terrible. Can’t speak to the 55gr; I’ve shot at most 200 rounds of it. As I recall, it was surprisingly accurate at 50 yards. But again, this was 4-5 years ago.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Well, that’s annoying if true.

If other corroborate same, I’ll just bin them. Not worth the hassle at this point.

FWIW this stuff would be from probably 7-10 years ago.
    7-10 year old ammo in general should be just fine unless stored in very extreme conditions.

However, 7-10 years ago was the post Sandy hook panic and at that time Freedom Munitions was notorious for QC issues including squib loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I shot a fair amount (5-6k rounds) of their 115gr and 147gr reman. stuff 4-5 years ago and experienced one squib, and the occasional failure to fire, but nothing terrible. Can’t speak to the 55gr; I’ve shot at most 200 rounds of it. As I recall, it was surprisingly accurate at 50 yards. But again, this was 4-5 years ago.
    My experience is roughly the same; a couple thousand rounds, generally fine, did have 1 really weak round that caused me to stop and check for a (nonexistent) squib. Given their reputation, I stopped shooting their stuff and don't have recent experience with it.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

I have shot thousands of rounds of freedom and have never had issues with the reman pistol ammo. The only issues I ever had were with the rifle ammo. I had 1 (of thousands) where the casing separated in the chamber.

I would shoot it without worrying about it. Or feel free to send it to me and I’ll shoot it for ya.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    7-10 year old ammo in general should be just fine unless stored in very extreme conditions.

However, 7-10 years ago was the post Sandy hook panic and at that time Freedom Munitions was notorious for QC issues including squib loads.
    I know people who got cases of FM and their descriptions of it correlated with underloaded rounds. I also know there seemed to be a lot of recall notices emanating from FM.

On the other hand, variation is variation. The stuff you have might be fine. The label can't tell you. You'd have to investigate the product.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

FM marked 9mm cases have a bad rep among those of us who load our own because they have a ledge inside the case instead of a taper. This leads to the potential for cases separating at the ledge, especially if you load them up to 9mm major/Open gun pressures. Supposedly it's much less likely to be an issue at "normal" pressures, but I still wouldn't ever use them to load my own when there's so much good brass available. As far as just shooting them goes, I don't see a big problem with using them for practice, but if you're in a competition, I wouldn't take the risk.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I know people who got cases of FM and their descriptions of it correlated with underloaded rounds. I also know there seemed to be a lot of recall notices emanating from FM.

On the other hand, variation is variation. The stuff you have might be fine. The label can't tell you. You'd have to investigate the product.
    I haven’t messed with FM since the post sandy hook era but in 2014 I was in a pistol class in which two shooters had multiple squib loads from two separate lots of FM 9mm.

@JM Campbell also hasld issues with FM’s .300 Black out around the same time.

More recently I know a couple YouTube gun personalities dropped sponsorships from FM due to QC issues both they and their fans experienced.

User Tag List