Thread: Astigmatism and Red Dots video

Astigmatism and Red Dots video

This video is from 2019 but I've never seen it posted here, IME the smaller (~2 MOA) red dots tend to have less distortion than a comparable larger (~4+ MOA) red dot.

I've spent enough time around here and some other forums to know that sadly there is no universal astigmastism experience for red dots. It's one of these shitty click bait website but the graphic on this page is a good representation of how different the dots can look to people's eyes:
    https://scopesfield.com/best-red-dot...r-astigmatism/

Most of the dots I use look like the graphic right in the middle but I've also found that not only does it vary from eye to eye but it varies from maker and even model of red dot. I've found almost Aimpoints look like the starburst. I've found RMRs in 3.25MOA look like that graphic on the right but MROs look like a starburst again.

For me big dots look better and more like a dot. This is great for pistols because on a pistol there is no disadvantage to a 6 or even an 8 MOA dot. Maybe if I was doing bullseye style pistol shooting where I was shooting a tiny target at 50 yards but that's not my thing. Most of my pistol shooting is USPSA or at the range and for me the larger dot has zero disadvantages. The bad thing is my options for big dot that is reliable is basically RMR. Holosun makes the 8 MOA ring which is what I have on most as it's the best compromise I can find in the sub $300 price range.

The issue is on rifles I can't really use a 6 MOA dot. I mean I can but it gets harder to use at longer distances. Plus no one makes red dots intended for rifles in anything other than 2 MOA anyway and those tend to look like a starburst or micky mouse to me.

I've tried using a magnifier and that does make the 2 MOA dots seem crisper to my eyes but at that point what I've done is make a bulkier, less rugged ACOG with more points of failure with no way to compensate for bullet drop at longer ranges. Other than cost if I *must* use a magnifier with a red dot to make it useful I might as well stick with the ACOG even if it is considering out dated.

Primary Arms has a 1x prism on the way that is supposed to be 7oz that might not suck for people like me looking for close to red dot utility on a rifle however the reticle is questionable as I often find their graphics to be misleading; they usually show you a giant zoomed in picture when in reality it isn't as big so it's actually not as useful as you'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I've spent enough time around here and some other forums to know that sadly there is no universal astigmastism experience for red dots. It's one of these shitty click bait website but the graphic on this page is a good representation of how different the dots can look to people's eyes:
    https://scopesfield.com/best-red-dot...r-astigmatism/

Most of the dots I use look like the graphic right in the middle but I've also found that not only does it vary from eye to eye but it varies from maker and even model of red dot. I've found almost Aimpoints look like the starburst. I've found RMRs in 3.25MOA look like that graphic on the right but MROs look like a starburst again.

For me big dots look better and more like a dot. This is great for pistols because on a pistol there is no disadvantage to a 6 or even an 8 MOA dot. Maybe if I was doing bullseye style pistol shooting where I was shooting a tiny target at 50 yards but that's not my thing. Most of my pistol shooting is USPSA or at the range and for me the larger dot has zero disadvantages. The bad thing is my options for big dot that is reliable is basically RMR. Holosun makes the 8 MOA ring which is what I have on most as it's the best compromise I can find in the sub $300 price range.

The issue is on rifles I can't really use a 6 MOA dot. I mean I can but it gets harder to use at longer distances. Plus no one makes red dots intended for rifles in anything other than 2 MOA anyway and those tend to look like a starburst or micky mouse to me.

I've tried using a magnifier and that does make the 2 MOA dots seem crisper to my eyes but at that point what I've done is make a bulkier, less rugged ACOG with more points of failure with no way to compensate for bullet drop at longer ranges. Other than cost if I *must* use a magnifier with a red dot to make it useful I might as well stick with the ACOG even if it is considering out dated.

Primary Arms has a 1x prism on the way that is supposed to be 7oz that might not suck for people like me looking for close to red dot utility on a rifle however the reticle is questionable as I often find their graphics to be misleading; they usually show you a giant zoomed in picture when in reality it isn't as big so it's actually not as useful as you'd think.
    I use a Vortex Spitfire 1x prism scope on my rifles. They also make a 3x version.

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    I use a Vortex Spitfire 1x prism scope on my rifles. They also make a 3x version.
    Sure but they are bigger and heavier generally than any red dot. It's a bit annoying there is no true LW option out there.

Primary Arms is making a 1X that is compact but they always misrepresent their reticles online so I'm not going to try one to see if it works for me or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    Sure but they are bigger and heavier generally than any red dot. It's a bit annoying there is no true LW option out there.

Primary Arms is making a 1X that is compact but they always misrepresent their reticles online so I'm not going to try one to see if it works for me or not.
    I wouldn't think it would be any heavier than a red dot plus a magnifier like you tried.

Well good news for me I was looking around Aimpoint's website and on their new releases page:
    https://aimpoint.us/shop-products/new-releases

I saw this item:
    https://aimpoint.us/micro-h-2-red-do...tandard-mount/

A H2 with a 6 MOA dot? Yes please.

I know people always want a smaller dot but for me a 6 MOA dot will generally look a lot more crisp than a 2 MOA dot with my eyes. Yes the 2 MOA dot can "work" for me with my eyes but the larger dot works easier; it requires less brain power on my part which results in quicker/easier aiming.

No the 6 MOA won't be as precise as the 2 MOA but it's still small enough to put to good use at most ranges where I would use a dot instead of a magnified optic and 6 MOA is still smaller than a front sight post so it's better than irons for almost every use case which is really all I can ask of a red dot.

And no the H2 isn't as water or temp resistant as the T2 but it has to be at least as good as the Holosuns and I trust those for the most part... so I am stoked.

User Tag List