Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pachmayr converted Model 14?

Pachmayr converted Model 14?

I saw this in an out of the way (for me) shop last weekend. Model 14 converted to DAO, 6" long roughly 7/8"-1" diameter Pachmayr barrel with built in comp, a rail mounted on top like I've never seen before and an early red dot. It balanced MUCH better than I expected and had the sweetest DA I believe I've ever experienced. Shop manager said the work was done at Pachmayr and based on his knowledge of the owner/consignor there's an above average chance Frank Pachmayr himself did at least some of the work (and based on the reputation of the shop I'd say they did what due diligence they could to verify as much as they could). It appeared to be in extremely good condition, tagged at $1300 IIRC and there might be some wiggle room.

My questions are: is the asking price anywhere near sane and what kind of game was it built for?

DAO so I'd say Bullseye is out and all the PPC revolvers I've seen are iron sighted. Maybe an early example of a USPSA or ICORE revolver?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    It might be a former PPC gun converted to a Bianchi Cup gun. Regardless, it sounds pretty sweet.

Bianchi cup?

I don't think the price is out of line. How much would it cost to recreate it? If the setup works for you, I'd buy it. IMHO post war custom revolvers like this will only go up in price, soon to command premiums like the pre-war King customs do now.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    Sounds sweet. Whatever it was built for, I’d probably give it a serious look.

Pictures not loading.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I saw this in an out of the way (for me) shop last weekend. Model 14 converted to DAO, 6" long roughly 7/8"-1" diameter Pachmayr barrel with built in comp, a rail mounted on top like I've never seen before and an early red dot. It balanced MUCH better than I expected and had the sweetest DA I believe I've ever experienced. Shop manager said the work was done at Pachmayr and based on his knowledge of the owner/consignor there's an above average chance Frank Pachmayr himself did at least some of the work (and based on the reputation of the shop I'd say they did what due diligence they could to verify as much as they could). It appeared to be in extremely good condition, tagged at $1300 IIRC and there might be some wiggle room.

My questions are: is the asking price anywhere near sane and what kind of game was it built for?

DAO so I'd say Bullseye is out and all the PPC revolvers I've seen are iron sighted. Maybe an early example of a USPSA or ICORE revolver?
    Assuming it's the same gun I looked at a few days ago, in my opinion, based on the the fact it's a Pachmayr gun (let's assume Frank was NOT the actual gunsmith who built it), it's worth every penny of the asking price. Anyone seriously interested in that gun knows exactly what they are and what they are buying (i.e. a Pachmayr custom). Bonus points if you can get it for less than the asking price.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by tango-papa; 05-16-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Pictures not loading.
    Assuming we are talking about the same gun, see post #6...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Assuming we are talking about the same gun, see post #6...
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Bianchi cup?
    After seeing the pictures, that's my guess. They have a barricade hold where they wrap their finger around the barrel and brace the revolver against the side of the barricade.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I don't think the price is out of line. How much would it cost to recreate it? If the setup works for you, I'd buy it. IMHO post war custom revolvers like this will only go up in price, soon to command premiums like the pre-war King customs do now.
    Good point on post-war customs. I've seen so many recently built "custom" (a little putty, a little paint makes the old girl what she ain't) and competition guns sell for pennies on the dollar that I forget there's a period where the same level of effort that was put into the pre-war builds also went into the post-war revolvers. The cost to recreate is why I've been trying to figure out what it was built for and it does look like it was built for Bianchi or a similar action pistol game.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Pictures not loading.
    Yeeaaah, about that...the fun fund is reloading from the Trooper MKIII that's inbound so it may be a bit before I can move on this.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    After seeing the pictures, that's my guess. They have a barricade hold where they wrap their finger around the barrel and brace the revolver against the side of the barricade.
    I didn't know about that but it explains the rail shape. To be honest, the Bianchi Cup is something I've heard of for years but never looked into. I probably saw a segment on Shooting USA back in the late 90s-early 00s but that's it AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Assuming it's the same gun I looked at a few days ago, in my opinion, based on the the fact it's a Pachmayr gun (let's assume Frank was NOT the actual gunsmith who built it), it's worth every penny of the asking price. Anyone seriously interested in that gun knows exactly what they are and what they are buying (i.e. a Pachmayr custom). Bonus points if you can get it for less than the asking price.
    That sure looks like it. If it was in that shop Bolke is known to frequent, that's it.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List