Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 slide binding

Site Supporter

1911 slide binding

I know there are members here who have more knowledge than I do about 1911s so here's one:

A brand new pistol, 38 Super, went to the range for the first time recently. It shot just fine, no malfunctions of any kind. Later I decided to clean and lube the gun and when reassembling it the slide started to bind in the frame. After a few attempts it got to the point where it was impossible to get the gun back together.

So I disassembled it again, removed the barrel, recoil spring and rod, main spring housing, thumb safety, grip safety, and sear spring. The slide is still binding in the frame -- as if the rails were cut wrong. But the slide moved freely earlier in the day.

Any ideas what would cause this? I would suspect the disconnect, ejector, or firing pin stop -- but I don't see anything obvious with any of those parts.

My next step is to remove the fire control parts and see if that makes a difference. If it does, it almost has to be something with the disconnect.

TIA

Where is it binding? When it is close to being in battery?

Series 80 or 70?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Where is it binding? When it is close to being in battery?

Series 80 or 70?
    S70 so no plunger or other related parts to cause the problem. It binds as the slide moves backward on the frame toward its last half or third of maximum rearward travel. It also binds moving forward in that same location.

The disconnect doesn't seem to be protruding more than it should.

Have you tried to assemble the slid on without the barrel and recoil spring?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Is both the frame and the slide made of stainless steel? (It sounds like it could be 'galling'.) I'd clean it again, and lubricate it with a quality gun lubricant, and try it again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Have you tried to assemble the slid on without the barrel and recoil spring?
    Yep, the barrel and RSA are not in the slide.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Is both the frame and the slide made of stainless steel? (It sounds like it could be 'galling'.) I'd clean it again, and lubricate it with a quality gun lubricant, and try it again.
    Blued carbon steel, properly lubed.

Check the ejector and ejector pin and make sure they are not loose and flush. If they look ok then disassemble the fire control parts.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

If the ejector is not loose and the ejector pin has not walked out a bit, take a look at the firing pin stop to insure it has not started to drop from its place in the slide. Unusual but not unknown.

I would also look at the slide and frame rails where the binding starts. A small piece of powder or bullet jacket may be constricting slide travel.

What brand/model is it?

Take the disconnector out and see what it does.

User Tag List