Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 slide binding

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    What brand/model is it?

Take the disconnector out and see what it does.
    It's a Fusion Firearms govt model 38 Super I got for a fun gun. Nothing like this has ever happened with any of my Colts. But that's all beside the point. The gun ran great at the range, then started binding up during reassembly after cleaning.

I've removed the fire control parts and it's still binding. I can work the slide back and forth on the bare frame with a little pressure, but when I reassemble the gun, as soon as I insert the slide release lever it locks up tight -- no front to back motion is possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    If the ejector is not loose and the ejector pin has not walked out a bit, take a look at the firing pin stop to insure it has not started to drop from its place in the slide. Unusual but not unknown.

I would also look at the slide and frame rails where the binding starts. A small piece of powder or bullet jacket may be constricting slide travel.
    Checked all of those things, no issues there.

Site Supporter
    I think the link is not able to move within its range. Check the link self itself and that part of the barrel where it fits.

Is it under warranty? Sounds like the barrel or barrel link is not fitted properly.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Is it under warranty? Sounds like the barrel or barrel link is not fitted properly.
    I've started suspecting that as well. But it's strange that it operated perfectly during live fire earlier the same day. Also, before I fired it I had done a quick takedown to make sure it was lubed properly and the gun went back together with no issue.

An improperly fitted barrel or barrel link would explain why I can't reassemble the gun, but it doesn't explain why the slide doesn't move freely in the bare frame with no other components installed. Could be multiple issues of course.

Something weird happened, and it's a situation I haven't encountered before.

Site Supporter
    The only other factor I think of is that either the slide or the frame has a crack in it.

I would (if you haven't already) run a patch up and down on the frame rails and slide rail channels feeling for a bur or rough spot. Also make sure the ejector is properly positioned and not contacting the slide.

Site Supporter
    Okay I'm starting to relax about the slide/frame fitment. I've been moving the slide forward and back over the frame and it has smoothed out. I think the concern was a bit of paranoia on my part.

However, the issue with the gun seizing when I install the slide release still exists. I have checked the movement of the barrel link by installing just the barrel and slide release into the frame. The movement is just as it should be. So now I am focused on the geometry of the slide release itself. If I just insert the slide release pin, the slide is able to move freely. Once I fully install the slide release into the frame the slide is frozen in place. To me that indicates something is amiss with the slide release. So I will keep investigating.

I highly recommend (both of) Jerry Kuhnhausen's manuals. You can get them directly from Heritage Gun Books.

(volume 1) http://www.gunbooks.com/colt45.html

(volume 2) http://www.gunbooks.com/vol2.html

You can also get them from Brownells.

(volume 1) https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...%2bGUN%2bBOOKS

(volume 2) https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...%2bGUN%2bBOOKS

Site Supporter
    It turns out the slide release lever had a very slight bend in it that was not allowing the channel to be inserted as deeply into the frame as it needs to be. Hammer and a punch, problem solved.

User Tag List