Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightening cuts on slides for RDS, yay, or nay? plus a breech face question

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Very interesting. Can you please expound on that a bit, which weight spring on which gun ? Thanks!
    Here’s a good article from Dave at CGW about recoil springs weight: https://cajungunworks.com/how-to-sel...recoil-spring/

Bottom line for me: over the last 27 years of competition shooting I’ve found that most factory weight springs tend to be heavier than they need to be. Which causes more slide “bounce” up and down than is optimal. Tuning the recoil spring (which usually means lowering the weight) reduces that “bounce” so that the sights track better (they don’t move up and down as much). I’ve consistently found 12-14 pound recoil springs to be the sweet spot for me. Consistent extraction, cycling and ejection through a wide variety of ammo in all shooting environments.

And just an FYI, for the last 10+ years my competition guns have been my carry and duty pistols for the most part. I know competition shooters w full blown race guns that are running sub 10 pound recoil springs. But I wouldn’t recommend that on a carry/duty pistol.

Hope that helps.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Here’s a good article from Dave at CGW about recoil springs weight: https://cajungunworks.com/how-to-sel...recoil-spring/

Bottom line for me: over the last 27 years of competition shooting I’ve found that most factory weight springs tend to be heavier than they need to be. Which causes more slide “bounce” up and down than is optimal. Tuning the recoil spring (which usually means lowering the weight) reduces that “bounce” so that the sights track better (they don’t move up and down as much). I’ve consistently found 12-14 pound recoil springs to be the sweet spot for me. Consistent extraction, cycling and ejection through a wide variety of ammo in all shooting environments.

And just an FYI, for the last 10+ years my competition guns have been my carry and duty pistols for the most part. I know competition shooters w full blown race guns that are running sub 10 pound recoil springs. But I wouldn’t recommend that on a carry/duty pistol.

Hope that helps.
    Most excellent info, thank you very much sir !

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    My vote is NO on excess slide cuts. Also, if you're just starting out, an easy route to figure out what you like and what's going to work for you would be a Glock gen5 MOS + FCD (Forward Controls Design) adapter plate for either an RMR or Acro. Quality parts, and you won't be locked into something you find you don't like.

For reference, here's a few item weights to put things in perspective:

Moral of the story, we're talking about a difference of possibly 1-2oz in weight over say a stock gen5 Glock with MOS cover plate. A lot of the slide cuts I've seen on the market, just my personal opinion, but I feel like they do little except potentially affect the long term integrity of the slide. If you want front slide serrations because you don't already have them, that's at least a functional improvement.
    Most excellent info, thank you very much sir! I’m shocked that the 509T is lighter than the 508T btw!

Y’all have convinced me to go optic cut only..I’ll most likely be trading up to a Gen5 19 and 17 with the forward serrations and sending them to Agency for the AOS cut only.

A 509T on my scale is 2.3 ounces.

One issue I have run into with lighter recoil springs is a possible reduction in reliability -- because some light pressure on the slide with your thumb might cause the slide to not go fully into battery.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I've run multiple 19 & 17 Suarez, Grey Ghost, KE Arms and Faxon slides without lightening/windows to seemingly no detriment. All with factory spring weights. I've also had a few with windows that didn't seem to do any worse, or better.

If you think they look cooler on Instagram, knock yourself out. The reduced mass/cycling speed argument is internet psychobabble*.

*Glock intentionally cut a hole in the 34 slide, but that's a different animal

I once got some impressive splits from a Glock 18, but didn't have a timer handy.
    Didn't get much accuracy either.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I once got some impressive splits from a Glock 18, but didn't have a timer handy.
    Didn't get much accuracy either.
    In slight thread drift, I once fired (OCONUS) a G17 converted, through one of those gizmos that replaced the slide end plate, to have a full auto capability and it happily fed 124gr through 60gr loads without a hiccup.

As to lightening cuts, I'm loath to create entrances for stuff to get inside my gun if that gun is meant for serious social purposes. I don't see reputed personal defense instructors with loads of experience with red dots have such cuts on their instruction and/or carry guns, so I see no reason to do it.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-męme, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

My CO match CZ slide is all cut with windows and stuff; it weighs 16.5 oz with a steel guide rod/spring and SRO attached. I've shot it with recoil springs from 8 to 12 lbs and have had no malfunctions.
    A stock irons-only CZ slide with a steel guide rod is 18.4 oz, at least mine is, and I've shot it with 9-12 lbs recoil springs and have had no malfunctions.
    That have made me to conclude that CZs, n=3 study size, don't care if slides are lightened or not.

I've heard an opinion that Glock slides should not be excessively lightened so my aren't and are running fine.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My CO match CZ slide is all cut with windows and stuff; it weighs 16.5 oz with a steel guide rod/spring and SRO attached. I've shot it with recoil springs from 8 to 12 lbs and have had no malfunctions.
    A stock irons-only CZ slide with a steel guide rod is 18.4 oz, at least mine is, and I've shot it with 9-12 lbs recoil springs and have had no malfunctions.
    That have made me to conclude that CZs, n=3 study size, don't care if slides are lightened or not.

I've heard an opinion that Glock slides should not be excessively lightened so my aren't and are running fine.
    I have run light recoil springs in Shadows without issue. I have run lighter than OEM recoil springs in Glock and M&P pistols with issues, that after returning to a stock RSA went away.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks to all for the great input. It was very helpful and enlightening...forgive the pun ;D.

I went and got me a Gen5 G19 and 17 yesterday and will be sending them for optic cuts only. Well...maybe I'll succumb and have a pair of Lighting Bolts cut on each side of the slide ...just kidding.

User Tag List