Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lightening cuts on slides for RDS, yay, or nay? plus a breech face question

Sig's idea of a pro cut optics slide for a P226, which is a darn shame as I would like one.

Name:  1D43E8A2-2485-49A3-B7F1-14AFC5AF15F3.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  25.9 KB

And, HK's idea of an optics slide.

Name:  DE1742F4-430D-4940-A78B-AED21457A570.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  19.4 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I would not dress one of my 229s in anything that tacky. That's like painting orange flames on the side of BMW M3.

Wow Sig.. please offer that slide in that rainbow trout finish you might still have and I won’t be able to resist myself... not.

That HK looks all business on the other hand.

What is that strange cut out in the very front of the Sig Slide, I’ve never seen that before. Bottle opener?

Henceforth, I declare nose cuts like that SIG slide to be referred to as "frontal slidebotomies".

Consumers and popular social media channels are to blame for products like that SIG slide. Current day SIG US is an ROI-focused business. They wouldn't produce products like that for long if people didn't buy them. I do, however, blame SIG for not clearly delineating between products that should probably be marketed as "recreational" vs. serious-use.

And hey, if someone wants to buy that because they think it looks cool, more power to them! I just wish people would ask more questions, such as @DacoRoman has, to better understand the implications of things like that on a defensive or competition gun.

As far as that weird nose cut on the SIG slide, near as I can tell there's no legitimate and functional reason for that. It's purely aesthetics, if a person even finds that attractive. I believe I've seen a few guns cut that way with matching compensators that have grooves that lock into the cuts. There are what I would consider far more robust methods of achieving that with a compensator though. For example, Parker Mountain Machine's comps for Gen5 Glocks take advantage of the bevel on the nose of the slide to keep the comp aligned. Aesthetic AND functional!

Name:  s977620473547721020_p393_i12_w705.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  32.1 KB Name:  s977620473547721020_p393_i5_w640.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  54.8 KB
    Pcis courtesy of Parker Mountain Machine. Not my pictures.

SIG could have easily achieved this with many of their P-series slides, albeit probably at a shallower angle. Alas, that would not be Gucci enough for some people...
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Henceforth, I declare nose cuts like that SIG slide to be referred to as "frontal slidebotomies".

Consumers and popular social media channels are to blame for products like that SIG slide. Current day SIG US is an ROI-focused business. They wouldn't produce products like that for long if people didn't buy them. I do, however, blame SIG for not clearly delineating between products that should probably be marketed as "recreational" vs. serious-use.

And hey, if someone wants to buy that because they think it looks cool, more power to them! I just wish people would ask more questions, such as @DacoRoman has, to better understand the implications of things like that on a defensive or competition gun.

As far as that weird nose cut on the SIG slide, near as I can tell there's no legitimate and functional reason for that. It's purely aesthetics, if a person even finds that attractive. I believe I've seen a few guns cut that way with matching compensators that have grooves that lock into the cuts. There are what I would consider far more robust methods of achieving that with a compensator though. For example, Parker Mountain Machine's comps for Gen5 Glocks take advantage of the bevel on the nose of the slide to keep the comp aligned. Aesthetic AND functional!

Name:  s977620473547721020_p393_i12_w705.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  32.1 KB Name:  s977620473547721020_p393_i5_w640.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  54.8 KB
    Pcis courtesy of Parker Mountain Machine. Not my pictures.

SIG could have easily achieved this with many of their P-series slides, albeit probably at a shallower angle. Alas, that would not be Gucci enough for some people...
    Sweet looking pistol. How does it run? I need to learn about comps/Roland specials at some point too!

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Sweet looking pistol. How does it run? I need to learn about comps/Roland specials at some point too!
    That's not mine. Those pics are from PMM (linked in the caption below the pics).

Glocks comps can work and can help improve performance. They can also narrow the window of operation such that ammo choice becomes even more critical and your options become less flexible. To some degree it's like experimenting with striker spring or recoil spring weights. For some shooters, there's certainly performance improvements to be had. However, the trade off is potentially reducing margin for error in ammo quality and reliability. Stuff like that is not even worth considering, IMO, until a person can perform at a high level on some of the popular standards tests and drills out there.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Name:  3199C003-62A9-4C33-B1BB-81F901EE274C.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  97.3 KB

This one is mine. It shoots high power ammo as soft as gamer ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    That's not mine. Those pics are from PMM (linked in the caption below the pics).

Glocks comps can work and can help improve performance. They can also narrow the window of operation such that ammo choice becomes even more critical and your options become less flexible. To some degree it's like experimenting with striker spring or recoil spring weights. For some shooters, there's certainly performance improvements to be had. However, the trade off is potentially reducing margin for error in ammo quality and reliability. Stuff like that is not even worth considering, IMO, until a person can perform at a high level on some of the popular standards tests and drills out there.
    I’m trying to get out of a 2 year hiatus from pistol shooting, and to start with I’d like to just get to a sub 1 sec draw from aiwb and .18 splits using a regular ol’ Glock. I wouldn’t want to complicate my life with delving down the rabbit hole of Roland specials but I have to admit that it’s a really cool concept.

User Tag List