Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the 1911 industry?

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
    Well, we are heavily, heavily back-ordered on X9 family guns. We build as many as we can and are 8-12 months back ordered. In fact, since we launched it, the X9 has been in a continuous state of backorder.

If all we built were x9's, I would assume you would see more of them in the wild.
    I ordered a 9mm CQB back in January and am still waiting. I'm assuming you guys aren't hurting for business right now.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    am I recalling or understanding correctly that along with the name change came a doubling down on strictly double-stack guns?
    Yea, which in my opinion was wise (KISS principal) from a QC and reliability standpoint.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 05-17-2021 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I ordered a 9mm CQB back in January and am still waiting. I'm assuming you guys aren't hurting for business right now.
    It's a blessing and a curse. Our focus as a company is improving manufacturing time and quality at the same time. We are doing this by increasing the number of machines we have so we can focus on maximizing parts manufacturing efficiency to go into our guns.

The Wilson Combat internally produced product line is huge (check out www.shopwilsoncombat.com). If all we built were X9's all day every day they would be -everywhere-but we can't do that. We build a ton of AR's, 1911's and then parts and accessories for numerous other platforms. We load ammo, and build AR barrels in hundreds of configurations. We don't just build X9's.
    Last edited by WilsonCombatRep; 05-17-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Staccato (STI) has done a phenomenal job of marketing themselves in the last couple years. They put their guns in the hands of all the cool kids that post on social media and into the hands of a couple big name LE units (so they can say they did).

Ken and Mas, Wilson's guys', both of whom I have great respect for and and love, don't get the clicks and therefore don't get the twenty-something's cash.

Doing a side-by-side comparison Wilson (and Nighthawk and some other manufacturers') guns feel a little more refined compared to the STI's, if that makes any sense.

There isn't anything wrong with either gun.
    I would hope a Nighthawk 2011 would be more refined than a Stacatto as they are 2x the price.

Having done a factory tour of STI back around 2012/2013 and done another late last year I can say there is a night /day difference between the old STI and way the current company operates.

It’s still a 1911 ish platform so the cleaning/lube and PM are still greater than Glocks or M&P’s but so far seem similar to metal frame duty guns. That’s assuming it’s treated as a duty gun and not tinkered with.

Having seen the “Gepeto’s workshop” where STI mags used to be made, the redesign and outsourcing of the 2011 mags alone is a huge improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I would hope a Nighthawk 2011 would be more refined than a Stacatto as they are 2x the price.

Having done a factory tour of STI back around 2012/2013 and done another late last year I can say there is a night /day difference between the old STI and way the current company operates.

It’s still a 1911 ish platform so the cleaning/lube and PM are still greater than Glocks or M&P’s but so far seem similar to metal frame duty guns. That’s assuming it’s treated as a duty gun and not tinkered with.

Having seen the “Gepeto’s workshop” where STI mags used to be made, the redesign and outsourcing of the 2011 mags alone is a huge improvement.
    The newer magazines are definitely a plus. Mine are marked "G3" so I'm guessing they have had some previous revisions.

I've owned multiple Nighthawk pistols and they are nice but the fit and finish of my Stacatto is about the same....and you are right on with the price....with the LE discount a Staccato isn't much more than some of the boutique Glocks out there.

Cool. I’d be curious to know more about the differences between the x9 and eXperior, like the reason for the move back to the internal extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
    Well, we are heavily, heavily back-ordered on X9 family guns. We build as many as we can and are 8-12 months back ordered. In fact, since we launched it, the X9 has been in a continuous state of backorder.

If all we built were x9's, I would assume you would see more of them in the wild.

Are the double stack 9mms easier to get running than single stacks because of the magazines? It seems that I’ve read on this forum and others that the single stack 9mm 1911s just don’t seem to be worth the squeeze to get running right.
    Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Yea, which in my opinion was wise (KISS principal) from a QC and reliability standpoint.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    The newer magazines are definitely a plus. Mine are marked "G3" so I'm guessing they have had some previous revisions.

I've owned multiple Nighthawk pistols and they are nice but the fit and finish of my Stacatto is about the same....and you are right on with the price....with the LE discount a Staccato isn't much more than some of the boutique Glocks out there.
    My only complaint about my 2020 PDuo is the grip texture. It’s slicker than it looks and needs either Talon tape or stippling.

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    Cool. I’d be curious to know more about the differences between the x9 and eXperior, like the reason for the move back to the internal extractor.
    It's not a move back-it's just an option for folks who screamed loudly and wanted a more traditional-looking gun with standard 1911 front sight dovetails, and no X-pattern.
    The innate reliability of the X9/Experior is higher than any 1911 as the mag to barrel feed angle has been changed and the double column Mec gar magazines are unbeatable from a reliability standpoint even when compared to Gen X, Y, Z of any 2011 mag.

I prefer the user-replaceable extractor and front sight of the X9 vs the 1911 style of the Experior Commander. Limited front sight heights have forced us to use an elevation adjustable rear sight on the X9 that some folks don't like. An enterprising gunsmith can easily retrofit a Novak dovetail tall rear to work for most shooters.

Since the X9 has developed an enviable track record for reliability you will see more X9 models and variants in the future as we expand production. We simply cannot build them fast enough.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    Are the double stack 9mms easier to get running than single stacks because of the magazines? It seems that I’ve read on this forum and others that the single stack 9mm 1911s just don’t seem to be worth the squeeze to get running right.
    In general / historically the double stacks were harder.

While the new magazines can help older / STI / non stacatto guns, I think it’s important to stress the positive results seen with Stacatto 2011’s 1) don’t necessarily transfer to other/older 2011s and 2) are based on treating them like duty guns - meaning clean/lube/do factory recommended maintenance. That’s it. It’s a system set up by master 1911 gunsmiths including Dave Dawson and Shawn Armstrong (Formerly of Nighthawk). If you change the equation by tinkering with it and replacing parts with aftermarket etc you will get the same negative results similar tinkering produces on 1911s, Glocks etc.

User Tag List