Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the 1911 industry?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Wait, did CZ actually purchase Colt? I though that was just speculation that they could?
    And yes I will definitely not be purchasing anything for at least the next 6 months.
    Speculative upper budget is in the $1500 range, but honestly, anything above $900 gets progressively harder to sell myself on.

As I am not LE, duty use isn't my concern, but it might be for others.
    Yes: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/.../cz-buys-colt/

The deal was announced in February, but I believe wasn't fully closed then. Figure another 6-8 months before we see "CZolts". CZ says they won't be changing much at Colt. I believe that'll last for a bit, they'll be focused on Colt Canada and trying to procure the Canadian pistol contract. But the Czechs aren't likely to be really content to sit around without doing some audits of processes and investigation. We'll see what happens as things change, and they will change, in the near future.

This is why I thought it worthwhile to start a new thread and not just rely on older discussions.
    Personally I think it’s a great idea for a thread.

Not everything has to be a “what should I buy” thread, and if folks can’t see it any other way because they’re so fixated on offering up advice, they should skip the thread IMO.

Whatever happened to discussion forums being about... discussions?

On the topic of the thread, the 1911 market seems... odd to me these days. I’ve been watching the market for 35+ years and dipping in and out of it for 25-ish.

With my limited knowledge of how things are today, I’d also probably buy a Dan Wesson based on internet lore, not personal ownership.

I still dream about owning a 5” .45 with light rail for house, 4.25” aluminum frame .45 for carry, and 5” 9mm without rail for matches. All with otherwise identical (sights, levers, gription, etc.) Of course, then I’d want duplicates of each. With spare parts, mags, ammo, and holsters That should all cost just about....

Name:  7F6C8BAF-9818-4253-A444-3C4461F7A25F.png
Views: 757
Size:  41.5 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    The Centimeter has been a cartridge that has always spoke to me, but I can never figure out what its saying. I just cannot have it and 1911 fit together in my head. I don't know why.
    I know you are referring to 10mm here but the reason calling it “The Centimeter” is not common is the Centimeter was the name of a cut down 10mm wildcat round that later became the 40 S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I know you are referring to 10mm here but the reason calling it “The Centimeter” is not common is the Centimeter was the name of a cut down 10mm wildcat round that later became the 40 S&W.
    Oh, I wasn't aware. I think I recall first seeing centimeter used to describe the 10mm was a Jeff Cooper article about the cartridge, but I could be mistaken. It may very well have actually been referencing that wildcat and I just missed it.

I am no way proposing that the 10mm is a better choice, particularly for self-defense, over 9mm or .45 in a 1911. I have owned four over the years, and the one I still have left is a gun I'm not getting rid of.

I think 10mm makes sense if you're looking for something that can shoot a wide variety of loads, and are willing to handload. With access to bullets from 135 to 200 grains, you can do light Steel Challenge/plinking, medium self-defense, and heavy bowling pins/medium game hunting. You won't have the too short OAL problems of 9mm, and you get more capacity than .45. My next 1911 is still going to be a .45, however.

I'd really like to try a new Colt once CZ is firmly in the saddle. I have a Nighthawk Custom IOS slide, and I think it's super clever for both red dots and for shooting a variety of loads from a fixed sight gun. Everything else that I have is gunsmith-touched, and it's a real trick to find a good smith before their wait times go into years, and their prices become that of decent used cars.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I am no way proposing that the 10mm is a better choice, particularly for self-defense, over 9mm or .45 in a 1911. I have owned four over the years, and the one I still have left is a gun I'm not getting rid of.

I think 10mm makes sense if you're looking for something that can shoot a wide variety of loads, and are willing to handload. With access to bullets from 135 to 200 grains, you can do light Steel Challenge/plinking, medium self-defense, and heavy bowling pins/medium game hunting. You won't have the too short OAL problems of 9mm, and you get more capacity than .45. My next 1911 is still going to be a .45, however.
    That theoretical versatility is actually what I think turns me off of 10mm.
    If I need that capability, I will go to a revolver, where it's as simple as drop in cylinder and pull trigger. With an autoloader once you move out of the factory options, it seems you have to do a lot of fiddling to set up the gun to work with the higher end loads. At least that's my recollection of what's guys like GJM found out according to his experiences with it.

Well, yeah. I also prefer a lower high end on 10mm than most people. I don't want to swap out more than a recoil spring, so once you choose your firing pin stop and mainspring, there is an envelope that you will be staying inside of.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    For SWAT guys or firearms staff that shoot at least every couple weeks, blow through at least 500 rounds a month, and carry the gun on duty...you either need at least a Wilson quality gun or a gun that has been completely overhauled with quality parts and fit by someone that knows what they're doing. It's pay-to-play so you are in the $3k plus range.
    Which brings us back to perspective on why a Manurhin might not be unreasonably priced.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Which brings us back to perspective on why a Manurhin might not be unreasonably priced.
    Bruh, my $500 Glock will last 100,000 rounds...Unless I crack a breech face first.

Of course as we have talked about here a time or two. The Catch-22 of trying to buy and break a 100k round capable gun is that you spend ~10x on ammo than you do the gun if the gun costs 3-grand.

Site Supporter
    What is the consensus on the Colt Competition 1911s I have been seeing locally for around $900? Or current Colt production in general?
    The Competition model is a solid gun for the money if you happen to get a good one. I've had great luck with Colts in 45 and 38 Super. But the sad truth is that Colt's quality control could be better. They generally make good guns but their quality seems inconsistent.

Now on the other hand the Colt Custom Shop is making terrific guns. Their current models are hand built and fitted from all tool steel and bar stock parts. But Custom Shop guns cost significantly more than their production line guns.

User Tag List