Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the 1911 industry?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    QUOTE=MandoWookie;1223483]But the low end of the market is something that hasn't been covered much in this thread, so I was curious.[/QUOTE]

I picked up an AO .45 before the insanity got going. It has an Ed Brown barrel, a parkerized frame and a blued slide that is not marked like an AO gun. The price was attractive. 200 hardball rounds through it and it hasn't bobbled.

I bought the gun so I could try things with it. If I do something wrong and mess it up, it'll be OK.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

What is the prevailing opinion aluminum frames? Perusing Dan Wessons site (man they have trimmed down their catalog, at least compared to what I recall in 2019), I see that their Vigil series is aluminum framed, according to the description, specifically for cost reduction. Still an attractive package though.
    What are the benefits and downsides of alloy frames?

I have a Vigil and like it a lot. Downside = more recoil and slower shot recovery. Benefit = lighter weight and much easier to carry all day.

I have heard the claim that the alloy 1911's "are not durable enough" for the last 40 years but never experienced a problem or seen a crack with Colt, S&W, or DW frames. No I am not going to put 50K rounds down range in this gun. I do most practice with a steel frame and only carry the polymer or alluminum frame guns. I am sure that will get me kiltindastreetz at some point.

If aluminum frame rails are concerning, but the weight reduction is appealing, then Accu-Rails on an aluminum frame gun appear to offer a turnkey sort of a solution.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    What is the prevailing opinion aluminum frames? Perusing Dan Wessons site (man they have trimmed down their catalog, at least compared to what I recall in 2019), I see that their Vigil series is aluminum framed, according to the description, specifically for cost reduction. Still an attractive package though.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have a Vigil and like it a lot. Downside = more recoil and slower shot recovery. Benefit = lighter weight and much easier to carry all day.

I have heard the claim that the alloy 1911's "are not durable enough" for the last 40 years but never experienced a problem or seen a crack with Colt, S&W, or DW frames. No I am not going to put 50K rounds down range in this gun. I do most practice with a steel frame and only carry the polymer or alluminum frame guns. I am sure that will get me kiltindastreetz at some point.
    Aluminum frames may be less durable but aluminum alloys have come a long way since the 1950s, if you are changing recoils springs like you should it should be fine.

My real concern is the more you deviate from the original formula if 5” steel gun in 45 the more chance of issues. The lighter weight frame can effect the timing and function of the gun.

I recall we had a member here (@JodyH) whose lightweight Govt had issues with 8 round mags which had worked in other guns. I believe Jason Burton recommend he return to 7 round mags (and recommend 7 round mags for KW guns in general. The lighter weight frame affected the operational or timing window of the gun just enough that it would work with seven round magazines but not with eight rounders.

It’s kind of like the discussion about the operating window of the Glock 48 and the other G 43 recoil spring assembly guns. They’re not bad guns but they have a narrower Operating window and the more you deviate from stock form the smaller that window gets. It doesn’t mean those guns can’t be made to work but you have to factor that in when deciding if you wanna make changes and you have to Re-vet the gun after those changes are made.

I'm looking very hard at a 5" Vigil in .45ACP. The only thing holding me back is that it has a ramped barrel and in .45ACP 1911s the feed ramp tends to be steeper than a traditional non-ramped barrel. That said, I have a buddy who has one and it has run 100% using Wilson Combat ETMs shooting a variety of ammo.

LAV says he prefers a ramped barrel in an aluminum frame pistol as it prevents the feed ramped getting chewed up and if the gun is set up right, it shouldn't be an issue.

I strongly prefer the lightweight commander format. I have lots, and have put lots of rounds through them, and have not seen a penalty in either reliability or longevity. They do make it a little harder to get the frame customized, if you start with a smooth frontstrap or a beavertail you don't like, as refinishing is less trivial. Still no big deal.

There is no more carry friendly service pistol than the lightweight commander in .45ACP. Frickin' love them.

With respect to split speeds and recoil, here's a sub six with a .38S LWC with my craptacular reload speed:

Here's the pistol.
    Name:  lwc esmerelda small (1).jpg
Views: 348
Size:  91.5 KB

I can't do a lot better with a G17.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Compact aluminum frame with 4.25" barrel is my favorite. I had a Kimber like that (MIM and all! gasp!) that I carried a LOT and shot enough to be confident in the reliability with the 230g Hyrdrashocks I was carrying in it.

I even carried a spare 8 round mag without any kind of stopper on it and never had an over-insertion stoppage that everyone on the internet at the time told me was inevitable.

Never lost one gunfight with that gun!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Does that give significant recoil compared to a steel govt? In 45.

Had a Springfield lightweight champion in 45acp, aluminum frame, keep it lubed, and it ran flawlessly.
    Now both of the Range Officers [9mm's] are the lightweight Champions, lubed and run without any problems as well.
    No signs of wear or galling.
    Last edited by CSW; 05-20-2021 at 02:49 PM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List