Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the 1911 industry?

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    I’m reading this thread and seeing the pros and cons of a 1911 in 9mm (low recoil and accurate) but the potential for slide action reliability since the driving force is lower (weaker springs) if the slide experiences increased friction. Also concerns over having the “right magazine” design to accommodate the more highly tapered 9 mm cartridge. What are the prevailing thoughts on a 10mm 1911 reliability? More driving force for the slide to the rear, higher powered recoil spring, and a cartridge with less taper than a 9mm (w.r.t. magazine design)?
    10mm is a good fit for the 1911 due to the ~25mm case length, ~0.1mm of case taper, and having enough recoil impulse to operate the pistol. My Yost-Bonitz Delta Elite is reliable with the limited 10mm I have put through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post

I agree that 5” guns with full weight slides probably aren’t ideal, and I’m not sure I’d buy one unless it was from a custom builder with a reputation for really making them work. I think I’d trust one from Chambers Custom. Otherwise I plan on sticking to 4” or 4.25” for 9mm and 5” for .45.
    I had a few 4.25” 9mms and several 5” 9mms and the 5” guns were always the most reliable.

IIRC a 5” 1911 slide is about the exact same weight as a Glock 17 slide.

I’ve had at least seven 4.25” 9mm’s and ran them hard for several years. Never had any trouble with them, except one of the Wilson Combats that had to go back twice (chamber ended up being out of spec, if I remember correctly).

I never found a magazine that would hold up to daily use, much less rough use.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Dude, you are just snakebit.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Not even...?

Name:  playboy1.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  55.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Dude, you are just snakebit.
    So if I can’t just go out and buy 7 off the shelf examples of one of the world’s least reliable pistols and have no issues with them for years of hard use, I’m snakebit?

Nah. I’m just not FOS.

So if I can’t just go out and buy 7 off the shelf examples of one of the world’s least reliable pistols and have no issues with them for years of hard use, I’m snakebit?

Nah. I’m just not FOS.

Keep training, keep learning, one of these days you’ll figure out how to operate these guns.

Hell yeah, then I could carry a compact 9mm 1911 like all the real opr8ers.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Not even...?

Name:  playboy1.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  55.9 KB
    How the fuck did I miss that Cindy Crawford did 14 pages of nudes in Playboy?

Oh.

It was 1998, when I was deployed and lucky to find water that wouldn't give me amoebic dysentery, much less stroke books.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List