Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Current state of the 1911 industry?

A friend purchased one of the Hardball match guns back in the mid 90s.
    The damn thing is like a laser beam.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Anyone know when they got back in?

Iirc the original founders were former Les Baer gunsmiths?
    this LGS has had a very slow trickle of new ones since last summer, they indicated they put in orders for a bunch and a few show up every couple of months....

My understanding is that those guys who started it were brothers who worked at Springfield custom shop and then Les Baer for a while before they started their own. I think one of the two founders passed away a short time ago, but I don't know the details.

My two poly's are surprisingly accurate, although I have had extractor tuning problems and replaced both factory extractors with Wilsons and some fitting, then no further issues.

I am planning another 1911 full size steel frame before the end of the year but simply don't have the appetite for Wilson, Nighthawk, Alchemy, but DW or maybe these guys are in the ballpark of what I am willing to go for.

My application for it is practice gun, and annoying millenials at USPSA matches by being the boomer with the single stack. Accuracy is important in the later context.

Site Supporter
    My Poly has been very impressive to me. I'd be interested to try one of the steel frame guns just because the accuracy of the Poly has been extraordinary. I tuned the extractor basically before even firing a shot and it's been reliable ever since.

My use for it is likely to be the millennial who annoys the boomers by shooting a plastic framed 1911 in USPSA matches [emoji28]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I’m really stoked to see RRA back in the 1911 game! I thought they had bailed out in favor of ARs. Anyone know when they got back in?

Iirc the original founders were former Les Baer gunsmiths?

Great to see that they appear to have pretty much resurrected all of their old models.
    https://www.rockriverarms.com/index....category_ID=24
    RRA was founded by the Larson brothers who worked for Springfield Armory Inc and then were partners / co-founders of Les Baer Customs (Apparently worked with Les in the early SACS). The parted ways with Les in the mid 90s. Their original 1911’s seemed to use the slides/frames sourced from the same source as LB. They also had some affiliation with Eagle Arms /Armalite. Basically Illinois gun mafia.

Their rep as 1911 builders got them traction when they added AR’s to the line up. After getting a DOJ contract to supply FBI, DEA and other agencies with M4s and the sunset of the AWB their AR business took off such that they dropped 1911s.

They re-introduced semi custom 1911s including the poly a couple years back during the AR market saturation post 2016 election.

RRA was also involved with and giving money to an anti gun organization along with SA , it has been a while and do not remember the name of the outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    RRA was also involved with and giving money to an anti gun organization along with SA , it has been a while and do not remember the name of the outfit.
    Ayre it would be good to know the name, and have sources you can cite, before posting things like that.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter

SA/RRA

Ayre it would be good to know the name, and have sources you can cite, before posting things like that.
    There was quite a bit of coverage on the gunternet a few years ago. As such, I will no longer buy from either company.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=springfiel...onation&ia=web

First 2 results:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/sp...s-politicians/
    https://gunstoday.com/why-is-everyon...gfield-armory/

The Yankee Marshal had a long video that seemed well researched and basically called "BS" on their excuse/explanation.

Pretty common info at the time and not that long ago, better question would be why do you not know about it?

If I remember correctly they wanted to fuel the anti gun scare to increase their sales. I also do not buy from either company.

Pretty common info at the time and not that long ago, better question would be why do you not know about it?

If I remember correctly they wanted to fuel the anti gun scare to increase their sales. I also do not buy from either company.
    I don't follow.

it's been awhile and you don't remember the name or pretty common information and not that long ago?

you won't buy from either company but you don't know why?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I've got plenty of Rugers too...if we're talking about gun companies that have supported gun control in the past.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List