Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Current state of the 1911 industry?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don't follow.

it's been awhile and you don't remember the name or pretty common information and not that long ago?

you won't buy from either company but you don't know why?
    Internet search engines are a thing...just because he may not remember the specifics of which industry organization went out of their way to screw over your average gun store owner/manufacturer in IL, does not mean that it did not happen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    Pretty common info at the time and not that long ago, better question would be why do you not know about it?

If I remember correctly they wanted to fuel the anti gun scare to increase their sales. I also do not buy from either company.
    You do not remember correctly.

If you’re going to s**t talk them at least get your facts straight.

SAI and RRA were part of an industry group called the IFMA - Illinois Firearms Manufacturers Association.

For two years IFMA made donations to anti gun democrats in positions of power in the IL legislature via a third party lobbying firm. The IL Democrats subsequently introduced a state level Firearms Dealer licensing bill which would require a state license in addition to an FFL for gun dealers, gunsmiths etc.

IFMA initially opposed the bill then withdrew their opposition after IFMA manufacturers were exempted from the new requirements.

When this apparent quid pro quo became public IFMA members including SAI and RRA suddenly renewed their opposition to the state licensing bill.

I do not care enough to go back and dig for details but we all know they changed their "official" position on the matter after what they were doing became public knowledge.

It is not always possible to avoid buying from some companies in some industries that may be counter to our rights. In the firearms industry it is , there are more than enough pro 2nd companies making product that some others should not be supported.

I stopped buying Springfield products when they jacked prices on the M1-A after the passage of the '94 crime bill. I thought an extra $800 was a little high just to remove a bayonet lug.

If a company puts profits ahead of the people rights they deserve to be s**t talked.

At least three times in this thread, I thought “You should buy one of… wait, you have one.” Thanks for making me dissatisfied with all these 1911’s, PF. Even the ones I forgot I had.

I’d like briefly recognize and praise @vcdgrips for the Practioners that I recently purchased.

The grips on my beloved and crusty old Delta Elite were finally giving up the ghost and becoming beyond salvage, so I took the opportunity offered by the recent sale on black Practioners to get myself a set of grips that I had been curious about since the P-T Springfield endurance test.

VCD Grips were fast, polite, and have delivered an impressive product. The texture is reassuring, and the thumb scoop is generous. My holster of choice is a JMCK, and the degree to which members and businesses that participate in the forum exhibit skill and professionalism is enjoyable and encouraging.

Obligatory pic of an old and vanilla gun:

Name:  D5EFB8BA-CC38-4B3A-B0B7-658529743F53.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  39.7 KB

My nearby indoor range is closed on Mondays, so it’s dry fire only for me tonight, and live fire later in the week.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for the shout out. I originally made those as a one off for TLG for his Burton pistol. He was very please after being pleasantly surprised with an original set I gave him for T/E in 2012 IIRC.

From the pure "business" POV, I should put them on my website. Having said that, my IT guy is super busy with much more profitable work, I have a "day" job and it seems only fitting that to the extent the Practitioners are sold, they are done so in small, infrequent batches, primarily on PF.

Be safe and well. Know you have made my day with your kind words.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Anyone have experience with Fusion Firearms 1911s? They appear to be well appointed for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Anyone have experience with Fusion Firearms 1911s? They appear to be well appointed for the price.
    IIRC the owner was one of the Dan Wesson execs before CZ bought them; when he left DW, he went on to form Fusion.

I...would be hesitant with them, personally? I've read too many stories on the %100 factual and never in any way misleading internet, with issues about them. I've seen some really poorly fitted guns, supposedly directly from them as well...so ehhh.

On the flip side, I've also read some positive stories about positive customer service experiences and other things like that too. Though, if the guns are great, why would you be contacting CS...but, anyway.

I would probably want to deeply inspect anything I get from them, maybe have handy a list of major and critical dimensions to check, and be able to give it a good looking over before I accept anything and start working on a 4473? But, that is %100 just me, YMMV, my risk tolerance may be lower than yours, etc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I own one of their Freedom series pistols, the Reaction in 38 Super.

Pros:
    The gun shoots fine and hasn't malfunctioned yet over the 500 or so rounds I've fired. The frame, slide, and barrel seem to be well made of good materials.

Cons:
    The small parts like the thumb safety, slide release, etc... are made from lower quality steel -- castings I believe.

I also know that Fusion's custom guns use higher quality parts, but I have no experience with those.

I have a 5" Freedom Series Reaction in .45acp. Out of the box I was getting failures to extract, I adjusted the factory extractor and it ran for a few rounds and lost tension. I fitted a Wilson Combat extractor and it has run fine since.

I had to replace the front sight as it was too short and the gun shot high at 25 yards.

As @Robinson noted the frame, slide and barrel seem to be well made. The fire control parts are MIM. The gun has close to 4,000 rounds thru it and at an IDPA match a couple of weeks ago, the hammer fell to half cock a couple of times during slide lock reloads. The fire control parts will be getting replaced soon.

User Tag List