Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the 1911 industry?

The EDC X9 seemed like such a great concept to me. I wonder why it hasn’t gotten more attention…

Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    Although technically it's a 1911 derivative, Wilson finally produced the 1911 I've always wanted. And I think more manufacturers will follow suit. I started carrying Glocks even though I never shot them quite as well as my 1911's because until the EDC 9 no one made one with the features I wanted . Reliability in 9mm,high capacity, no grip safety,great 1911 trigger, reasonable weight for carry,and red dot ready from the factory.Plus it feels better in my hand than any 2011 ever has.I think you'll see a lot of manufacturers going in this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    The EDC X9 seemed like such a great concept to me. I wonder why it hasn’t gotten more attention…
    I'm guessing the price might keep a lot of people away. I couldn't be happier with mine.

I know I have mentioned it in a previous post but Staccato (STI) has got their shit together. Their manufacturing line is geared quality assurance and everything I saw on their line (as well as the people working there) tells me they care.
    I recently purchased a Staccato P Duo and have hot washed it with about 1k rounds to include some decrepit Federal/winchester ammo and 90/100gr frangible. It's been very reliable with the exception of one malf related to it being dirty, my 13 year old shooting and limp wristing it, and the ammo being corroded with a truncated FMJ type round. I did notice that the slide was slowing down around the 1k mark and that reminded me that unlike a Glock/HK it's a gun that I'm actually going to have to clean every once in a while. That's life with a 1911....

Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    I'm guessing the price might keep a lot of people away. I couldn't be happier with mine.
    Mine was super-reliable, and shot like a laser. But it's expensive, ugly as sin, and sight options suck, especially the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    I know I have mentioned it in a previous post but Staccato (STI) has got their shit together. Their manufacturing line is geared quality assurance and everything I saw on their line (as well as the people working there) tells me they care.
    I recently purchased a Staccato P Duo and have hot washed it with about 1k rounds to include some decrepit Federal/winchester ammo and 90/100gr frangible. It's been very reliable with the exception of one malf related to it being dirty, my 13 year old shooting and limp wristing it, and the ammo being corroded with a truncated FMJ type round. I did notice that the slide was slowing down around the 1k mark and that reminded me that unlike a Glock/HK it's a gun that I'm actually going to have to clean every once in a while. That's life with a 1911....
    am I recalling or understanding correctly that along with the name change came a doubling down on strictly double-stack guns?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

That makes a lot of sense. Support options and cost are probably big factors. I think they would have sold a bucketload of them at a 1.5k price point.

Seems like they have good magazine design. I still think the STI magazines just seem like a weak link and the size of STIs seem a bit to large.

Maybe that CZ gun will come out someday? lol

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Mine was super-reliable, and shot like a laser. But it's expensive, ugly as sin, and sight options suck, especially the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Staccato (STI) has done a phenomenal job of marketing themselves in the last couple years. They put their guns in the hands of all the cool kids that post on social media and into the hands of a couple big name LE units (so they can say they did).

Ken and Mas, Wilson's guys', both of whom I have great respect for and and love, don't get the clicks and therefore don't get the twenty-something's cash.

Doing a side-by-side comparison Wilson (and Nighthawk and some other manufacturers') guns feel a little more refined compared to the STI's, if that makes any sense.

There isn't anything wrong with either gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post

Well, we are heavily, heavily back-ordered on X9 family guns. We build as many as we can and are 8-12 months back ordered. In fact, since we launched it, the X9 has been in a continuous state of backorder.

If all we built were x9's, I would assume you would see more of them in the wild.

Sounds like you need the Experior "Double Stack" Commander. Can take standard fixed sights and it's a little more classic looking. Same great x9 reliability.
    https://www.wilsoncombat.com/experio...-double-stack/

And if you’re gonna buy a “production” gun, allow $250 for a pro review of the gun.

I just checked two legit smiths, Don Williams, and Jim Milks. They both charge $160 for their “Reliability Package”.
    I'm going to quote myself to emphasize my suggestion for novice 1911 owners. For the current price of a couple of range sessions, any of these packages would be money well spent.These are the packages I'm referring to:

Jim Milks was the gunsmith at EGW for a long time before opening his own shop. He's done several difficult jobs for me and they've turned out great. http://www.innovativecustomguns.com/...-services.html

Basic Reliability Package 160.00

Polish and throat barrel
    Polish feed ramp
    Polish bolt face
    EGW HD extractor
    Tune extractor
    Test fire for function

Don Williams is another long time smith that knows his way around a 1911 and Hipower. http://theactionworks.com/colt-1911/

C002 Reliability Package $160

includes throat barrel
    polish feed ramp
    new match polished and tuned extractor
    polish & adjust breech face
    adjust magazines as needed

Frank Glenn is an old-school smith and has done a ton of work for me. I haven't spoken to him in years, so I don't know how much work he's taking on. http://glenncustom.com/pricing_reliability.html

Reliability Package
    Polish, throat, tune extractor, polish breach face, check chamber $70.00
    Long ejector for .45 $45.00
    Long ejector for Commander, 38, 10mm $45.00
    Fit and tune spare extractor $40.00
    Lower Ejection Port and Flare $55.00
    EGW oversize firing pin stop fitted $30.00
    Install EGW Officers bushing, guide rod, reverse plug $85.00
    Test fire gun* $20.00

User Tag List