Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the 1911 industry?

With the mention of Wilson's internal vs. external extractor, what is the opinions on other external extractor 1911s like the S&W and Sigs?

Gotta admit the basic S&W E-series looks attractive at it price-point, but I dont know anything about parts compatibility or availability for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I'm at 3:08.20 on the Podcast - interesting as heck.
    Well worth watching.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    See something like this would be up my alley, and is one of the few things that would make AIWB on option for me.
    Yet I’m paranoid that it will be beyond unreliable and I’m an idiot for not just going Glock.
    Well I can only speak about my own experience, but the gun in the picture has never malfunctioned once. Neither has its training analog, a steel XSE that has fired many thousands of rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    With the mention of Wilson's internal vs. external extractor, what is the opinions on other external extractor 1911s like the S&W and Sigs?

Gotta admit the basic S&W E-series looks attractive at it price-point, but I dont know anything about parts compatibility or availability for it.
    While I never had any operational issues with the OEM stainless steel external extractor on my 2006 prodction SIG GSR, when I agreed to be a beta tester for Bruce Gray's tool steel replacement, Bruce found that approximately 30% of my OEM hook had chipped off in use. The OEM SIG ones were a knoown weak point; Bruce's replacement, shortly followed by a re-materialed and redesigned one by SIG, and another similar replacement from EGW totally resolved the issues.

SIG, as did Beretta previously (on their stainless Inox version of the 92) discovered that stainless steel is not the best choice for an extractor.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Dan Wesson worked just fine for me for SWAT/firearms instructor duty. I will say, though, I’m not necessarily crazy about the direction the company is headed. I’m sure they still make good guns though.

There’s been several of us here that have had serious issues with Wilson Combat guns the last few years. If I was going to order one right now, Alchemy would get my money, or maybe Ed Brown.

Only Springfield I’d consider carrying on duty would be a Pro. I know of teams using the TRP that have issues keeping them running.
    I would add on the Dan Wessons their warranty is for 5 years. It is for the original owner only. I have the impression that in the past they would overlook if you weren’t the original owner but recent conversations with them lead me to believe thats not the case anymore.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    What about polymer-framed 1911s? Are they practical?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've heard some good things about the Rock River Arms poly. Wilson Combat used to make the Spec Ops 9, but I don't know much about it. I don't think it was in production for very long.

My understanding of the Spec-Ops 9 was that the process of bonding the polymer grip/frame to the metal frame was a very intensive process. The quote as recall it, from one of the Wilson Combat reps was that the gun could have also been called a "SuperGrade Spec-Ops 9" because the effort that went into that gun was the same as Wilson's most premier product. That's just not economically viable. So while I bet it would still be a neat, higher performing gun, it's not a gun I'd really pursue.

Poly 1911s could mean a variety of things- 2011s with plastic grips and aluminum or steel frames, the Rock River polymer guns, the Bul pattern, the Cosaint patter, and I'm sure I'm missing out on some other designs. I tend to be suspicious of the single stacks, but that's a feeling, not as the result of any experience.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    In the early days of 1911 ‘smithing nearly everyone bought a complete milspec gun and started re-shaping and throwing away parts. Kimber, when they first came on the scene and didn’t suck, changed everything because you bought the gun pre-shaped and with the parts you’d want. They essentially manufactured guns already pimped, which saved the buyer the cost of paying someone to shape and the double cost of buying almost every single part twice (once in the gun, and once for the go-fast parts). Why Kimber had to go and screw it all up, I’ll never understand.

Now everyone is paying $3-5k for Wilson’s and other high-end production guns that basically just do what Kimber did (have the slides and frames manufactured to their specs, and install the go-fast parts from the beginning). Why do they cost 3-5- what a new a kimber didn20 years ago? Inflation, “hand-fitting” and marketing. Even when they do make a $2500 1911 they bugger it up with daft aesthetics.

Kimbers never didn’t suck.

They were always built with drop-in MIM parts and their shorter than 5” guns were always a waste of time.

Their slides and frames were ok for a base gun, but that’s about it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The poly framed RRA that I bought new showed evidence that the extractor was fit by hand. The barrel and bushing appear to be a Nowlin match grade barrel and a Kart National Match bushing. It's lighter than a government model by a fair amount (sorry dont have a scale) and it's freakishly accurate. Far more so than a base model Kimber, Springfield, Colt and easily competitive with many more expensive brands. At the time I bought it you could buy it for around 900 bones...about what you'd expect to pay for an entry level gun from Springfield, Kimber, or Colt. It came with a steel bushing wrench (you're gonna need it) and the gun passed the 10-8 extractor test on my first range trip. More on that in a sec, but that's perhaps one of the stronger indicators that a 1911 is going to be reliable. Despite the significant difference in weight, the gun shoots very pleasantly. I prefer it in fact, and I am considering making it my single stack gun for USPSA just to mess with the boomers who still shoot single stack.

The downsides were as follows. Holster compatibility with standard 1911s was dodgy. The garrity invictus I bought from a member here works well, but most kydex holsters and even a few leather ones won't. You should be looking for a large framed pistol holster like a 2011 according to the rep from RRA that I reached via email. I did buy a belt holster from blade tech for a 2011 and it fit. Also, I did tension the extractor before I fired a single round, because I have trust issues. That said, the extractors geometry was ideal and it grips the cartridge as it should, in a way that puts no stress on the extractor hook. Also the thumb safety was immensely stiff and I dressed it with a file. Also I filed down the front sight because POI was a little low.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List