Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bottom-Feeding .32 Popguns

The LCP Max Elite looks interesting.
    Nitrided instead of blued slide, electroless nickel plated sear, stainless guide rod and an aluminum flat trigger. Looks like it retails about 50-60 more.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    The ones that work, work. Not too hard to find one that works.
    Putting better sights on it was one of the best things I ever did...

http://instagram.com/p/CgSeDAOu_dZ/
    I saw this earlier today and wondered if they still offer this sight service anymore. Turns out that when I checked my email I am finally eligible to get mine done.

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    I saw this earlier today and wondered if they still offer this sight service anymore. Turns out that when I checked my email I am finally eligible to get mine done.
    How long were you on the waiting list?
    Could any gunsmith with the ability to cut dovetails do this?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    How long were you on the waiting list?
    Could any gunsmith with the ability to cut dovetails do this?
    The wait time was roughly 5 months to get the email and 4-6 weeks for work is the current estimate. I don't think anyone that can cut dovetails can do it necessarily. In their words:

"What sights are used in the upgrade?

The front sight is a newly manufactured Trijicon night sight. The rear sight is a plain notch sight with cocking serrations that is manufactured by us, in house.

Are there any sight options?

No. The sights are not offered in any other configuration. There are no rear sights currently on the market that will accommodate the design of the slide. We manufacture the rear sight specifically for this sight upgrade and do not offer any other variation. There are no front sights currently on the market that will accommodate the slide except for the front night sight that we currently use.

Are the sights available for purchase without installation?

No. The sights are only offered as a complete upgrade to your slide."

Site Supporter
    Methods of attaching a front sight to a P-32 will certainly be limited based on the lack of thickness of the slide where it surrounds the muzzle, although the generation 2 pistols provide a tiny bit more material to work with.

Changing a tritium insert would also likely require a trip back to the original installer.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The cost of installing the sights was more than the cost of purchasing the gun, which is not surprising since milling the slide and refinishing would have been required.

On the subject of these pistols, both of mine (1st generation P-32 and 1nd generation P3AT) require recoil springs 2 lb. heavier than the factory standard springs for 100% reliable functioning. I use 11 lb. in my P-32 and 13 lb. in my P3AT. Extra power magazine springs can also help a small amount. In the case of the P-32, this is absolutely critical to avoid having the gun become a single shot pistol when it is loaded with 7+1.

yeah - the sight works isn't/wasn't cheap, but, meh... I've spent more on bar tabs so it gets done...

Keeping the P32 clean, lubed and swapping springs is a chore, but, it works... For true "neglect guns", the LCR is pretty much king...

Site Supporter
    Anyone have a NAA Guardian? I was always curious about one of those as an NPE option.
    Last edited by Up1911Fan; 03-25-2023 at 11:32 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Anyone have a NAA Guardian? I was always curious about one of those as an NPE option.
    I purchased one in 2002 when it was the best choice available for that purpose. I have the .380 version.

On the positive side, they are very reliable. They are designed to be carried a lot and shot a lot. They have a good level of intrinsic accuracy.

On the negative side, the trigger pull is heavy, and the recoil can be uncomfortable. The factory sights are barely usable.

My example has miniature Novak Trilliam sites which were installed by the North American arms custom shop. It also has a trigger job done by a gunsmith who is now retired. The sights are a huge improvement, but the gun does shoot a bit low with them. The trigger job was also helpful, but I do get light strikes with some ammunition. I prefer Federal or Winchester for this gun.

At one point, Crimson Trace made a Lasergrip for this gun, which I have.

I stopped carrying the gun after shooting it side-by-side with my Kel-Tec P3AT. Both guns have Crimson Trace lasers, but the shooting was done in bright sunlight, which negated both lasers. Despite the trigger job and improved sights on the Guardian, I was able to achieve faster, more accurate hits with the Kel-Tec. Because the North American Arms is a straight blow back, and the Ke-Tec is a tilt barrel, the recoil of the Kel-Tec is much more comfortable despite the additional weight of the North American Arms.

In the early 2000s, the Guardian made a great deal of sense as a way to have a completely reliable tiny .380 pocket pistol. It is clearly outclassed by some of the choices available today.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I purchased one in 2002 when it was the best choice available for that purpose. I have the .380 version.

On the positive side, they are very reliable. They are designed to be carried a lot and shot a lot. They have a good level of intrinsic accuracy.

On the negative side, the trigger pull is heavy, and the recoil can be uncomfortable. The factory sights are barely usable.

My example has miniature Novak Trilliam sites which were installed by the North American arms custom shop. It also has a trigger job done by a gunsmith who is now retired. The sights are a huge improvement, but the gun does shoot a bit low with them. The trigger job was also helpful, but I do get light strikes with some ammunition. I prefer Federal or Winchester for this gun.

At one point, Crimson Trace made a Lasergrip for this gun, which I have.

I stopped carrying the gun after shooting it side-by-side with my Kel-Tec P3AT. Both guns have Crimson Trace lasers, but the shooting was done in bright sunlight, which negated both lasers. Despite the trigger job and improved sights on the Guardian, I was able to achieve faster, more accurate hits with the Kel-Tec. Because the North American Arms is a straight blow back, and the Ke-Tec is a tilt barrel, the recoil of the Kel-Tec is much more comfortable despite the additional weight of the North American Arms.

In the early 2000s, the Guardian made a great deal of sense as a way to have a completely reliable tiny .380 pocket pistol. It is clearly outclassed by some of the choices available today.

Thanks for all the info. It appears the custom shop isn't taking work right now. I'm still curious about one of these or a Beretta 2032. I honestly don't know what I would use it for. I'm firmly in the snubbing camp for pocket guns.

User Tag List