Thread: “ In Georgia agency, police train to shoot, not kill”

“ In Georgia agency, police train to shoot, not kill”

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime/in-ge...KPFHLEXQ672YI/

Does the officer shoot or not? If an officer must shoot, is there a way to lessen the chance of death? These questions hung over the training that played out days ago at LaGrange Police Department’s gun range. But some version of these scenarios unfolds for real across America daily as police engage with individuals who are sometimes armed and erratic, posing a threat to officers or the public.

The training is part of a new program launched by the West Georgia agency meant to address some of these questions. The program, called “Shoot to Incapacitate,” is challenging decades of police orthodoxy around use of deadly force. Instead of teaching officers to always aim for available center mass of the body — usually the chest, upper torso and head — the training is giving them another option if they must fire their weapons in the line of duty.
    #RESIST

"It teaches officers that in some instances where they are authorized to use deadly force, they have the option to aim for the pelvic region, abdomen, legs and arms of a person posing a threat. The idea is that a gunshot to these areas, while still potentially deadly, could stop the threat while increasing the chance that the wounds will not be fatal."
    This is not a well thought out concept from an anatomic and physiological perspective, as well as from an interventional/surgical standpoint.

Legally it also seems fraught with peril for multiple reasons.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

There's ten pages about this story just a few threads down.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    In a world where wanting the job in the first place could be considered grounds for failing the psych eval, nothing says "apply here" like a public demonstration that the brass doesn't care about officer safety and doesn't know anything about fighting. I'm glad I most likely will never have to rely on the LaGrange PD for anything.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    The statement in the title could apply to every Law Enforcement agency in the United States. Though we'd say "Stop". That Chief is a Cotton-headed Ninnymuggins. Excuse my language.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    There's ten pages about this story just a few threads down.
    You coulda linked me or reported it, but I found it.
    #RESIST

User Tag List