Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired, optics ready?

No OR P-07, unfortunately. I do like the P-10 OR guns.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Since you're not in the USA, this is probably not of much interest to you, but the original optics-ready pistol was the FN FNX-45 Tactical.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    ... On the other hand, I keep hearing about how a Glock is not necessarily the best gun for someone like me, and the prices for the newer gen 4's are just ridiculous. I mean, a thousand dollars for a Glock, seriously?
    If I had to pay $1k for a Glock, I would do it. Reliability, modularity, and functionality are worth another $300.

Why is it not the best gun for someone like you?

That said, I’m carrying a P-07 at this moment.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If I had to pay $1k for a Glock, I would do it. Reliability, modularity, and functionality are worth another $300.

Why is it not the best gun for someone like you?
    When a Beretta M9A3 is available for $1500, I find the idea of spending something like $1100 on a Glock a bit silly. Of course optics mounting capability does change the equation around a bit, it's just that I keep thinking how the same or a bit more money would get a much nicer gun.

My elbows (amongst other things...) are a tad jacked up, so getting a really good crush grip on a pistol is not always possible. With something like my PX4, I just grip the way I can, accept a bit more muzzle flip and keep on keeping on, but I'm told Glocks really need a strong grip. The more acute grip angle of Glocks exagerbates the issue, I can grip a more upright grip of a PX4, 1911 etc. better. (Kind of a pity as I just played around with my dummy gen 4 and I otherwise like the grip. But I can definitely feel it in my elbows when I increase grip pressure, much more than with my PX4.)

Of course, without a SCD or at the very least a very ergonomic manual safety all this Glock talk is theoretical.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Why not get you PX4 slides cut with the new LTT system? It's modular. I ran a PX4c with the 1st gen LTT cut (used an MOS plate) with an RMR and a 407k. It carried and shot really well, but I didn't feel the mount system was very robust. I suspect that's been resolved with the second gen. It also lacked BUIS, which has been resolved.

I think the PX4c really would pair well with a micro RDS like the 407k/507k or Trij RMRcc, which I suspect is in development.

I'm very happy with my P-07/09 now, but I suspect if V2 was available two years ago, I'd still be shooting the PX4 series.
    David S.

What hammer fired pistols do you like now?

SIG just announced an optics ready P226 slide.

It has a bunch of holes in it that really turn me off but it has a modular plate system and could be a good solution for you if you like the P22X series and can order a slide.

I know you already decided against them in your first post, but the Arex look like a very good value and have everything you are looking for, if the addition of a manual safety is not a total dealbreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Why not get you PX4 slides cut with the new LTT system?
    How? If I have understood things correctly, the new LTT system is proprietary to them so the work would have to be done by LTT. Importing a slide into U.S. does not sound feasible.

I really would love to get an optics ready slide for my Beretta. Just not sure I'd trust a local gunsmith with the job, due to how the firing pin safety works in Berettas.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    What hammer fired pistols do you like now?
    I've grown to really like my PX4. I've liked, but have regretfully not owned, also the Beretta 92 series - especially the M9A3 - and Sig P226. Single action, 1911's and High Powers are neat, although they do have their own issues due to the age of the designs. (An FN MkIII is nonetheless high on the shopping list.)

Those are the ones that leap to my mind as really nice pistols. Which is not to say I'm limiting my options to those though.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I know you already decided against them in your first post, but the Arex look like a very good value and have everything you are looking for, if the addition of a manual safety is not a total dealbreaker.
    It's not a hard pass at this point and like you pointed out, it seems like a pretty good value for money. I just dislike a couple of the things they've done to the manual of arms. The safety is not my main concern, but moving the slide release to the decocking lever is something I'm less than sure about, and I'm concerned about how prone to accidental activations the ambidextrous magazine release is. (I used to have the magazine release on my PX4 on the left side of the gun so it would be consistent with my other pistols, but even with the small button I had accidental magazine releases several times after leaning against something or going prone on my gun side. With the PX4 correcting the issue took a paper clip and one minute of time, but with the Arex it might be a bigger problem.) Plus if I get a chance to grab a used P-series Sig that has a high probability of being reliable, I'd love to do so, thus the possibility of confusion between the manuals of arms between the two pistols exists.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I really would love to get an optics ready slide for my Beretta. Just not sure I'd trust a local gunsmith with the job, due to how the firing pin safety works in Berettas.

I've grown to really like my PX4. I've liked, but have regretfully not owned, also the Beretta 92 series - especially the M9A3 - and Sig P226. Single action, 1911's and High Powers are neat, although they do have their own issues due to the age of the designs. (An FN MkIII is nonetheless high on the shopping list.)

Those are the ones that leap to my mind as really nice pistols. Which is not to say I'm limiting my options to those though.
    I think this is probably it. A local gunsmith or machinist could probably mill for the red dot sight of your choice, but likely not on any Beretta, because of the firing pin block and maybe also the decocker. Importing a slide is probably a non-starter, because ITAR sucks and hates everyone.

Sig P22Xs, 1911s, possibly Hi Powers, and possibly HKs would be pretty doable if you brought the red dot along at the time of milling and didn't mind being locked into one optics footprint. Though, at that point, I'd probably look pretty hard at just buying a current production optics-ready Sig and having a gunsmith go over the innards. Might be easier to be confident in that, depending on what you think of gunsmiths near you.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    Though, at that point, I'd probably look pretty hard at just buying a current production optics-ready Sig and having a gunsmith go over the innards. Might be easier to be confident in that, depending on what you think of gunsmiths near you.
    Or just shooting the gun and seeing how it works? (Since if I can drop the gun off at a smith I already own it, hence I'm already committed to that particular firearm, regardless of how it turns out.) Yeah, you're probably right. I just don't like the idea of taking a chance with current QA Sig, nor giving money to post-p320-dropgate Sig. (And it might be that my concerns over the quality control are overblown. It's just... Bloody hell they made a gun that goes off when dropped and then decided that nah, it's fine, we don't need no recall. On the other hand the P-series is a very mature and reliable design but on the other...) But then again, if there was a single obvious best solution, I might have even thought of it on my own.

Good food for thought, at any rate.

User Tag List