Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired, optics ready?

Hammer fired, optics ready?

I'm not really in the market for a new pistol right at this moment, so this is more of a theoretical question or something for me to keep my eyes open for, for the time being. But it would be nice to know what my options are in the future.

So, the world is moving towards red dots mounted to pistols. This seems like an interesting development and I would like to try this myself sometime in the future. However, it seems like most of the optics ready pistols are of the striker fired type, and I just don't like those. I am much more comfortable with my hammer fired pistols, for various reasons. It seems to me that there aren't many options out there that combine hammer fired with optics mounting capability, especially when one is outside the U.S. and so one can't just buy a Beretta slide from Langdon Tactical. I suppose one route would be to send a pistol to a local gunsmith for modification, but what out-of-the-box or end user upgradable options are out there? Nothing really leaps to my mind as an obvious solution when one is not looking for an all-out race gun, suitable for nice weather flat range use only. One could use a dovetail mount that replaces the rear sight of a pistol - but many here have stated that these raise the red dot sight much too high. There is that one Slovakian sort-of-like-a-P226-except-not-quite pistol, but I'm not quite sure I would like the way they changed the manual of arms from the original Sig. Well there's the Sig P226 RX, I suppose, but only if one trusts the quality of new Sig pistols. After the debacle of the P320 firing when dropped and how Sig chose to handle that issue, I do not. And CZ Shadow is available as optics ready, but that seems like a bit too much of a race gun for me (AFAIK, the gun lacks a firing pin safety, which for me says everything one needs to say about the gun. YMM of course V.)

Are there options that I've neglected to consider? And yes, I realize I might sound a bit picky - but since I have a few vetted iron sighted pistols I can afford to be, and if I am going to go through the bureaucratic rigamarole that getting a gun license is I'd rather be enthusiastic about the outcome of that process.

Name:  66AD303C-B901-4940-8DD9-7C83855468C5.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  26.5 KB

Yeah, lots of 1911, 2011, or 1911-esq things like the EDCX9 JCN posted. Staccato and Springfield come to mind as well. No idea what the availability of things like those is outside the US, and obviously it’s probably not saving any money compared to milling a CZ 75 or P series or something similar.

Do you want hammer fired for DA/SA or for safety reholstering?
    #RESIST

Sig has p-series guns that come optics ready.

Edit - oops missed your mention of that when skimming.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Do you want hammer fired for DA/SA or for safety reholstering?
    Preferably, yes. I suppose if I had to choose just one, the latter would take precedence.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Preferably, yes. I suppose if I had to choose just one, the latter would take precedence.
    What are the shipping regulations in your country regarding slides? Could you have someone get one milled for you and ship it over legally?

That would open up a lot more options like the CZ P-01. I have one that was milled and quite like it.

Hammer fired, optics ready?

Glock with a SCD seems like the default option. I don’t carry a RDS equipped gun, but would have a hard time passing up a optic-ready P-07.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-15-2021 at 07:20 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I don't think there are common quality issues with Sig P22x series guns other than some pissing and moaning over finish on some Legions. I have a pair of 229 Legions, one is a factory RX slide with a Romeo 1T and the other I had milled for an RMR that I subsequently swapped out for a 507c. I haven't been following current events so I don't know what RDS the current RX models will accommodate.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Name:  66AD303C-B901-4940-8DD9-7C83855468C5.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  26.5 KB
    While I'm spending future me's money here and it's easy to be generous with those funds because fuck that guy... A Wilson Combat might just be pushing it a tad. I mean, I did mention the option to my girlfriend but the look I got in return... Yeah, perhaps not a feasible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    What are the shipping regulations in your country regarding slides? Could you have someone get one milled for you and ship it over legally?
    Importing parts to an existing firearm is not a huge deal, legally. The main issue is that a lot of shipping companies refuse to ship firearms or parts thereof, so shipping costs become significant. If going the custom route it would probably be cheaper to go with someone in country, if I can find someone to trust to do the work right.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Glock with a SCD seems like the default option. I don’t carry a RDS equipped gun, but would have a hard time passing up a optic-ready P-07.
    Is the SCD available outside the U.S. these days? Last I heard, ITAR prevented international sales. Having access to a SCD would make life easier in some ways... On the other hand, I keep hearing about how a Glock is not necessarily the best gun for someone like me, and the prices for the newer gen 4's are just ridiculous. I mean, a thousand dollars for a Glock, seriously?! Come on... The gen 3's used to be almost half the price. (Of course, those ones don't fit my hands.)

Does CZ make the P-07 in an optics ready version? I didn't see any mention of that on CZ's website (I mean czub.cz, not the U.S. site). I don't recall being very enthusiastic about the pistol when I tried it, but then again I can't recall any show stopper issues with it either. I might just be biased against CZ's after seeing a bunch of old school IPSC CZ-75's barf on stages over the years. If P-07 or P-09 are options I might have to examine my biases a bit closer.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List