Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paging Outpost75: 38 vs. 357 Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Ruger LCRx in .357 Magnum?

Lighter than a K-Frame. I'm not sure about long-term reliability with magnums @jetfire - but with wadcutters you aren't going to wear it out, with +P .38s you probably won't wear it out either. Downside it carries 5 instead of six. You have to decide if the reduction in weight is worth it.

Polymer sub-frame and good grip design make them more comfortable to shoot than any J or K, unless you're running Hogues on them. Better trigger than any Smith or all steel Ruger currently produced.
    It's a well known fact that I love the LCR series, but the LCRx in 357 doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Sure, it's a little heavier than the 38 version, which supposably helps recoil mitigation, but we're only ever going to shoot 38s out of it anyway, so I'd just stick with the 38 version and be happy. Of course, what I really want is Ruger to make a 3 inch LCR in 327 Federal, but that's never going to happen.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    It's a well known fact that I love the LCR series, but the LCRx in 357 doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Sure, it's a little heavier than the 38 version, which supposably helps recoil mitigation, but we're only ever going to shoot 38s out of it anyway, so I'd just stick with the 38 version and be happy. Of course, what I really want is Ruger to make a 3 inch LCR in 327 Federal, but that's never going to happen.
    Agreed. For me, the point of the gun is the lightness, and with the larger grip and .38 SPL loadings, the LCRx is fine for recoil. Go with the .38 and take the lightness.

Also, build a six-shot .327 Fed. I'd even take it in H&R, especially with a 4-inch barrel.

I'd also really like it if the SP101 and/or GP100 trigger mechanisms were redesigned to benefit from the thinking behind the LCR trigger. It's pretty straightforward geometry, not magic.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'd also really like it if the SP101 and/or GP100 trigger mechanisms were redesigned to benefit from the thinking behind the LCR trigger. It's pretty straightforward geometry, not magic.
    I have this wonderful dream that Ruger will build a scaled up LCR, called the Lightweight Medium Revolver, that holds six shots and uses the same cylinder geometry as the K-frame so speed loaders will interchange. They'd sell literally dozens to degenerate revolver nerds, and I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of the sales would come from this forum.

They'd sell literally dozens to degenerate revolver nerds, and I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of the sales would come from this forum.
    I dunno, bro... there are a lot of desiccated old farts hanging around places like The High Road and the Ruger forums to give us a serious run for the money on a cheap new medium frame 3” six-shooter. Just saying.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new m66. Counting the empty boxes from rimrock Ive shot over 20k magnums and 5-7k +p specials in my 66-8.

For the OPs purposes a .38 k frame would be fine too. 1000fps with a 158gr bullet is an easy load to achieve and BuffaloBore makes a 158 @ 1250fps if you needed it.

Site Supporter
    I have this wonderful dream that Ruger will build a scaled up LCR, called the Lightweight Medium Revolver, that holds six shots and uses the same cylinder geometry as the K-frame so speed loaders will interchange. They'd sell literally dozens to degenerate revolver nerds, and I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of the sales would come from this forum.
    If they make it a 3" I'd buy one of those and I don't need or want any more guns...said the busted up old phart.

Dave

User Tag List