Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC/light hiking Shoes for duck feet

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Oboz is another good solution, especially if like me your heels are still on the narrow side.
    Their (new?) Bozeman line is particularly appealing.

Thanks!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

EDC/light hiking Shoes for duck feet

We hiked a rugged slickrock trail yesterday, with a several thousand vertical feet of climbing and descent.

The Altra boots were comfortable and had good heel stability. The sole is excellent. However, the wide toebox did not provide as much torsional support as I’m used to. My feet got seriously tired and sore.

These are the only boots I have on this trip, so I’ll just have to suck it up and hope those muscles adapt.

On the plus side, no hot spots, and my feet were not hot or sweaty despite the heat and activity.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Their (new?) Bozeman line is particularly appealing.

Thanks!
    I’ve been eyeing that one too. I have the sawtooth low which is great for light hiking, but too “hiking boot” looking to wear at work if people are coming in, or to slightly nicer restaurants, etc.

I’ve been eyeing that one too. I have the sawtooth low which is great for light hiking, but too “hiking boot” looking to wear at work if people are coming in, or to slightly nicer restaurants, etc.
    One of my favorite things about our trip to Southern Utah was that everywhere we went, hiking boots and shoes seemed an acceptable part of fancy dress.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    We hiked a rugged slickrock trail yesterday, with a several thousand vertical feet of climbing and descent.

The Altra boots were comfortable and had good heel stability. The sole is excellent. However, the wide toebox did not provide as much torsional support as I’m used to. My feet got seriously tired and sore.

These are the only boots I have on this trip, so I’ll just have to suck it up and hope those muscles adapt.

On the plus side, no hot spots, and my feet were not hot or sweaty despite the heat and activity.
    Lone peak 4s definitely don't have good lateral stability but are otherwise a great boot.

I recommend experimenting with lacing. There are a few patterns you can use to lock down tight in certain areas and relieve pressure over others. I bypassed the small piece of webbing on my LP4 mids to allow me to tie the laces tighter without creating a hot spot.

Supposedly the LP5 has a more dialed in fit and because of that Altra is now offering wide sizing.

For regular old trail runners I highly recommend Nike Terra Kigers. Unlike any other Nike out there, had a much more generous fit but IMO is better contracted than the Altra LPs.

EDC/light hiking Shoes for duck feet

Definitely feeling some DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), but I’m still happy with the Altra LP4 boots after three hikes in the last three days.

BTW, I do not have duck feet. My feet are average width.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-17-2021 at 09:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

CF, what did you wear before these?

CF, what did you wear before these?
    My last pair of summer boots were Salomon XA Forces mid (non Goretex). I put a ton of miles on them, but the cloth heel cup wore out (as happens with most of my boots.)

I also recently bought some Keen Explore waterproof boots that I like a lot.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm also of the wide toe/narrow heel build. Me left foot is also slightly larger than the right. Hoka is my new go to for shoes, Keens has been my old standby for boots. New Balance used to make some real nice boots under the "Dunham" brand but I think they shut that down as I haven't seen them in years. The soles were a little soft and wore out quickly, but the boots were very comfortable. I've tried Oboz on at the store but they seem heavier then Keens, or at least the ones I tried.

With the Hoka trail runners I lace the left shoe "normally" and then lace the right shoe with the little loops through the top two holes and then the shoe strings ran through the little loops, as that tightens up the heel area a bit more. I've found this to make both shoes fit with no heel slop.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Just purchased a pair of these and they work. 12 (4X)

https://www.newbalance.com/pd/1300/M...300&quantity=1
    I have had a pair of these in 13 4E since last August and like them. Wear them to work (office) 2-3 days a week.

User Tag List