Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC/light hiking Shoes for duck feet

Altra Lone Peak (non Goretex). Preparing for a day of hiking today. Utah.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Asside from wide foot issues, you've described Salomon shoes fairly well. Mine aren't waterproof but are awesome for walk around and hiking stuff.
    Last edited by Cory; 05-15-2021 at 11:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    Altras are great. I've had a pair of their (non-waterproof) trail runners as hiking shoes for years, and they work well and are very durable. If they get a little wet, they dry quickly. I also use a pair of Altra road running shoes for that. Lems are great too. I have their Nine2Fives, which aren't waterproof but can handle a light rain. Lems now offers a waterproof version of their Boulder Boot. Both of these brands focus on zero drop and wide toe boxes, which IMO are great features in a shoe.

From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    A boot stretcher has really allowed me to purchase great shoes / boots that were too narrow, and widen them over the course of a couple of weeks to be a great fit.

https://www.amazon.com/HOUNDSBAY-Hea...-16&th=1&psc=1

Merrell Moab 2 non gore Tex. Works well for my squared-off 9-2es.

In positive news for those of us who are stability advantages, chuck taylors are now available in wide.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I mainly use wide Merrell Moab low and Moab Vetex mids, but recently got some wide Keen Targhees low and they are extra wide and really sturdy?

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Similar boat (or shoes) here at a 12 4E. Used to be the OG Merrell Moabs in a 12 D or wide worked great, the Moab 2s seem to have changed the recipe. Keen Targhees have a wide toe box, and they even make a wide version now. The last couple years I've had good luck with low drop shoes such as Altras or Topos, which have a wide toe box for natural foot shape.

Site Supporter
    Keen and New Balance are the default recommendation in my BSA community for wide footed folks for causal hiking shoes.

Edited to add: if you are wide footed, it is worth getting fitted by somebody who knows what they are doing and buying at least 2 pairs of shoes as alternating two pairs of shoes will make last much long the wearing one pair followed by another.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 05-15-2021 at 06:27 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I’ll second the Altra and Keen recommendation. I have 2 pair of Altra shoes and one pair of Keen leather boots.

I have weird feet I don’t measure wide but have to wear a wide to prevent blister and for general comfort. I have several pairs of Salomans, if I’m up and moving they are fine but once I stop moving I start to notice that they are too snug.

The boot I’m wearing these days for wet and dirty conditions around town is the first generation of this one:
    https://www.salewa.com/en-us/ultra-f...1387?c=1518275

I have been very happy with them and they seem wide enough not to bother me. I’m not sure how wide their distribution is but if you could find some they might be worth trying on.

Site Supporter
    Oboz is another good solution, especially if like me your heels are still on the narrow side.

User Tag List