Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC/light hiking Shoes for duck feet

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

EDC/light hiking Shoes for duck feet

I was wondering if any could recommend a brand of shoes for someone with wide feet. I generally wear a 12-12.5 in a 4-6E depending upon the brand.

I am looking for a shoe that is comfortable, waterproof, and durable. I am looking for something that is a low to mid cut and can handle light hiking in the mountains and deserts. I guess just general all-around good shoe.

I does anyone with a wide foot have a particular brand that prefer?

Thanks!

Similar boat (or shoes) here at a 12 4E. Used to be the OG Merrell Moabs in a 12 D or wide worked great, the Moab 2s seem to have changed the recipe. Keen Targhees have a wide toe box, and they even make a wide version now. The last couple years I've had good luck with low drop shoes such as Altras or Topos, which have a wide toe box for natural foot shape.

I have been pretty happy with Danner. I hike/walk in the dessert a few days a week.
    I don’t have any experience with their waterproof boots. I find them to hot most of the year.
    I have had issues getting wide enough boots. Danner’s fit me well. Of course ymmv.

I have had good luck with Lems boots and shoes. They have the biggest toe box of any shoe that I have bought.

If you're also interested in something sportier, in the direction of running shoes, try the Altra Lone Peak 5 or the mid-height version, the Lone Peak Hiker. They are popular with the truhiking crowd.

Just purchased a pair of these and they work. 12 (4X)

https://www.newbalance.com/pd/1300/M...300&quantity=1
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

+1 for Altra
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    +1 for Altra

Plus 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for Altra. My entire family has converted to them.

Going through this right now. My lightweight Keens finally got holes in them so I started shopping replacements, and really want(Ed) something more visually appealing.

Bought some Salomon Outlines because I love the way they look and the pics tricked me into thinking they were wide enough. Wore them around the house the morning before my flight to the SW to spend 10 days in campgrounds & national parks (basically, would be wearing these all day every day) and within an hour could tell they were wide, just not in the right part of the shoe for me (see pic below). Wound up wearing my old Keen boots (not to be confused with the worn out shoes) which worked fine but were bulkier, heavier, and dorkier than I’d have liked.

I really just want another pair of Keens, but they seem to have stayed frozen in their aesthetic, with the only design changes seemingly going the route of appealing to the nature hippie market that they’ve apparently decided to double-down on. Which seems to put them at this weird nexus of 20-something “influencers” that don’t wash and 50-somethings that have given up caring what they look like. Leaving this 40-something “thinks I’m still cool” left out in the cold.

Salomon vs Keen
    Name:  FDBD3F2E-A18D-44AB-9C66-8E0E676299DD.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  44.8 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

My 50 year battle to find a shoe to fit wide toe box, Keen is the answer.

User Tag List