Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC/light hiking Shoes for duck feet

Merrell Bare Access XTR came and are already in the box to ship back.

Fit was very tight, and uncomfortable at the tongue. As well, the eyelet hardware was cheap and flimsy.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Merrell Bare Access XTR came and are already in the box to ship back.

Fit was very tight, and uncomfortable at the tongue. As well, the eyelet hardware was cheap and flimsy.
    Merrell has gone down in quality(both design and fit/finish) in the last 15 years. Really sad to see.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    I am a fan of the Lone Peaks; have both the 4.5 & non Gortex mids. Damn comfortable. As mentioned in another thread, I ruck a lot, like 30 miles a week, with 60-180 pound loads. Plus I'm 190#. So I'm hard on shoes.

But there are downsides;
    - I get less than 300 miles on the soles before the tread is worn smooth. Current pair is at ~120 miles, and tread is half gone.
    - Minimal cushion means that concrete and hard surfaces are brutal on the feet over longer (15+ miles) distances.
    - Off concrete on rocky trails, they allow rocks to bruise your feet.
    - Easy to stub a toe or have cactus penetrate from all angles.
    Trying out the Olympus 4 now for the additional cushion and stability (really rigid). Only downside is they're not even close to zero drop. I run 10-15 miles/week at 200 lbs so zero drop helps a lot with reducing heel striking and injury prevention. I also lift and drink beer so I'm unremarkable at all athletic feats these days. We do have a beer mile coming up in August that I didn't even know I was training for.

https://www.zappos.com/p/altra-footw...5921/color/151

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    I am a fan of the Lone Peaks; have both the 4.5 & non Gortex mids. Damn comfortable. As mentioned in another thread, I ruck a lot, like 30 miles a week, with 60-180 pound loads. Plus I'm 190#. So I'm hard on shoes.

But there are downsides;
    - I get less than 300 miles on the soles before the tread is worn smooth. Current pair is at ~120 miles, and tread is half gone.
    - Minimal cushion means that concrete and hard surfaces are brutal on the feet over longer (15+ miles) distances.
    - Off concrete on rocky trails, they allow rocks to bruise your feet.
    - Easy to stub a toe or have cactus penetrate from all angles.
    that is not encouraging. thanks for the input!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Inbound from Zappos:

• Merrell Bare Access XTR
    • Altra Escalante 2.5
    • Xero HFS

I sure hope one of these works out...
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Inbound from Zappos:

those both look like "possibles" for me too.

I was thinking about this on my drive to work this morning, and it occurred to me that what I really want is just "shoe". it's almost like the fragmentation of the shoe market has conspired against us, along with the weird trend toward any outdoors-related shoe going corrective-footwear.

I do, on occasion, "hike" but the truth is what I want is a shoe to wear to disney world, rv trips, music festivals, etc. I'm not climbing the Eiger, and I'm not running an ultramarathon. I need some traction, some protection, a good life, and a fat toe.

I'm close to grabbing up a pair of these
    https://www.zappos.com/p/keen-austin...tail-1-sims_cv

Name:  71asoiU-svL._AC_SR700,525_.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  32.8 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Inbound from Zappos:

• Merrell Bare Access XTR
    • Altra Escalante 2.5
    • Xero HFS

I have a pair of the Xero Z Trail sandals that I love. In the summer it's all I wear when not at work or the range. I've been thinking about giving their shoes a shot.

Site Supporter
    I recently purchased these Oboz Sypes. They are “waterproof Nubuck Leather”. They are fine for “SoCal beach city hot” , would be wearable but not ideal for “SoCal inland summer desert hot”. They are marketed as “an around-towner with the chops of a performance light hiker” which seems pretty accurate. The soles are too flexible to do any kind of edging along steep slopes etc., but they are super comfortable and have good traction. I got them a full size bigger than my standard dress shoe size. The side of the sole is grey, it is much less white looking in person than in this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Trying out the Olympus 4 now for the additional cushion and stability (really rigid). Only downside is they're not even close to zero drop. I run 10-15 miles/week at 200 lbs so zero drop helps a lot with reducing heel striking and injury prevention. I also lift and drink beer so I'm unremarkable at all athletic feats these days. We do have a beer mile coming up in August that I didn't even know I was training for.

https://www.zappos.com/p/altra-footw...5921/color/151
    I have a couple rucking buddies who wear those and swear by them. Been eyeing a pair myself, since I have a 50mi ruck coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    that is not encouraging. thanks for the input!
    Eh, take my input with a grain of salt. Lone Peaks are designed more for trail running, whereas 95% of my usage was on concrete. This will be my 3rd pair I've worn smooth before 300 miles.

Site Supporter
    I've been wearing Merrill Moab Ventilators in Walnut for at least ten years. I purchased a new pair last year but in a different color. They just didn't seem to be as comfortable or as sturdy as the one's I've worn in years past. I figured that perhaps because it was a different color that was the reason why. So last week I was shopping for another pair to replace the grey ones I had purchased last year when I saw the Keen's. I figured why not. So I bought a pair and all I can say is HOLY SMOKES! It's like wearing your favorite slippers outside. Man are they comfortable. Which I'd bought them years ago.

User Tag List