Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick chainsaw question

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I still have Stihl 038 AV Super 1980s vintage. Runs well.
    Also 020T, 044, MS 200, MS 660.
    I like pro grade saws if you can afford it.
    If you ever don't need that 044, let me know.

I appreciate but I like my older Stihls.

In a fit of enthusiasm I picked up an 090 Super AV. Kind of like buying an elephant gun if you are not in Africa. I may sell this one, the 660 is enough.

A good friend owns the MS170 saw. Gotta tell ya, for a home owner saw, it runs!!!!!
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I've got a Stihl MS250 and a Husqvarna 562XP. I think I've had the Stihl for about 6 years, and the Husqvarna for about one year. I have never had any problems with either one--of course, I only run ethanol free gas in them, which seems to make a big difference. Or else it's a nice placebo for me. Either way, I'm sold on that move. The Stihl really handled everything I needed it to do. I took down one red oak tree that was maybe 24 inches or so, maybe more. I'm not great at estimating that kind of thing and I didn't measure. But it was a big tree. It took a pretty long time, but the saw managed it fine. Once I got the Husqvarna, I had to do another tree just about the same size, and it went through it in what seemed like ten seconds. There's a huge difference between them, and I love the new saw. But the truth is that I probably don't need the pro level saw and could manage everything I actually do with the Stihl.

I had a Poulan before the Stihl. Junky.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Usually the older Stihl's with the 0 prefix are the best saws. I have an 036 Pro and a few others that I forget the model #. The 036 is a bit of overkill for a home owner unless you live in the PNW and have large trees on your property. My neighbor just had a pro tree whacker cut down about a dozen trees and they were using Stihl saws. 044 is a beast, my neighbor has one that I've used. That's a manly mans saw.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Indeed, I had an 020 for 20 years till it was stolen from the bed of my truck.... 😡🤬😡
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I use the MS200 and the MS660 most. 200 for limbing and smaller stuff.
    660 for felling and cutting up firewood, it does not seem much heavier than the 038, 044. With a 25" bar and full chisel chain it cuts fast.
    I have 20" bars on o38 and 044

I use the MS200 and the MS660 most. 200 for limbing and smaller stuff.
    660 for felling and cutting up firewood, it does not seem much heavier than the 038, 044. With a 25" bar and full chisel chain it cuts fast.
    I have 20" bars on o38 and 044.

I run Non alcohol gas and Amsoil at 50 /1 . this has worked well for 30 years.

User Tag List