Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for degrading grip strength

My grip is not as good as it used to be; I find a G17-4 to be tough to operate.
    1911 and SW Plastic M&P are more manageable.

A shooter here has had arthritis on top of an old injury give him pain and weakness in his right hand. He is shooting IDPA in PCC but I don't know what he carries.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    If he likes DA, have him try an HK P30 V1 LEM. The interchangeable grip options may help him with getting more grip contact with his hand.
    This solution is best. If he can't operate a LEM trigger, then he is out of the game. The P30 has ambi controls and the interchangeable grip options as stated above. I base my opinion on having shot the P2000 LEM since 2006.I suggest that he start learning to shoot with the left hand. Because of right shoulder degeneration I have been training on left hand shooting for several years. As another said, he needs to see a competent doctor for a 2nd opinion.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I was down to about 30-35% grip strength in my left hand due to nerve damage. Find a sports medicine physical therapist if not already seeing one. The only thing better then starting now is inventing a time machine and starting before now. I have the strength back, although I lost sensation and get some real fun phantom sensations sometimes. That would likely have been avoidable had I not waited so long, per my PT.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Lots of options, with pros and cons with each recommendation.

With an autoloader, chamber the first round and the pistol reloads itself.....stating the obvious I know. I bring this up due to limpwristing being bought up in the initial post. Grip flexibility is tailoring the grip to the shooter's needs. Polymer pistols are now more user-friendly with multiple backstraps now standard on some pistols. With metal pistols, grip options may be limited to non-existent or as with the 1911, grip options abound. Caliber, as well as loading (target vs +P) influences recoil.

Revolvers can be a good choice, but the end-user gets the final say on that. No slide to pull back. A DA/SA revolver gives the option of pulling back the hammer if DA use becomes an issue. Reloading the cylinder can be a pain if not using a speedloader. If a speedloader is used, proficiency through practice will improve those abilities. Obviously caliber has influence on recoil.

Others here have posted suggestions as to what pistol to consider. That's a great starting point. Try out as many firearms as possible, select one to purchase, then practice to become proficient and remain proficient. Good luck on the final decision. So many choices!!

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Or, he could look at the ultimate old guy with bad grip strength pistol - the 1911 (all bow down!). I'm struggling with decreasing grip strength myself, and have personally found that a switch from G19 to the 1911 has made a huge improvement not only in my shooting performance, but in post-training-session pain in my hands, wrists, and elbows.
    That is a great point. My EDC X9 with a dot is basically G19 size but would be much easier to shoot from a decreased grip standpoint. If needed, can precock the hammer to make racking the slide earlier. But only if he’s a fan of manual safeties.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for all the replies! Yes, he saw his doctor and has been going to a physical therapist specializing in sports medicine. I can't believe I overlooked the M&P 2.0 even after suggesting an M&P EZ. If I remember correctly, it'll give him the option of going without a safety, or he can lighten the trigger and add a thumb safety afterwards. Now that I think of it, his P07 should also give the option to switch over to cocked and locked carry, if he decides to go that route.

I have an M&P 2.0 full-size in 45 acp. Got around 1100 rounds through and its been 100%. I like the grip angle and texture. For me, the trigger in the 2.0 needs no upgrade. It is just light enough to not upset one's sight picture at let-off, but not too light. I've got the 1.0 of the same version and I find the grip texture less grippy, so the 2.0 texture definitely works for me. Some folks replace the striker block with the Apex striker block. It is more polished and rounded than the stock part. It really does help smooth action by reducing friction between the striker block and the trigger bar. The 1.0 has the thumb safety and it adds a layer of protection for peace of mind.

A friend of mind bought his wife the .380 version of the Shield E-Z. She seems to enjoy that pistol and she is able to manipulate the controls just fine.

A smaller-volume grip can certainly be helpful, with some hand issues.

Grip length, which can also be expressed as height, can really matter. If grip strength is already compromised, the pinkie finger’s contribution may be important. The length along the back of the grip is also important, as is the shape of the grip. A relatively squared-off lower rear of the grip, that allows good, firm contact with the “heel bone” of the hand, can make ALL the difference. A Glock G19 is TOO SHORT to reach this important part of of my hand. The G17 is now my friend. A SIG P229 is tall/long enough, overall, but the grip is rounded, so that the weapon does not reach all the way to this important part of my hand.

The above-mentioned grip size and shape factors will affect different folks, in different ways.

I have arthritis, and nerve issues, in my right hand. In my case, switching to lefty primary carry is an option, as I am actually left-handed, with detailed tasks, such as writing, and am left-eye-dominant, so switching would be a matter of conditioning my brain for a reflexive lefty draw.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List