Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for degrading grip strength

Site Supporter

Suggestions for degrading grip strength

Asking for a friend. No, really. One of my best friends is losing grip strength in his right hand, and is at about 65% currently. He's also lost some dexterity. If I understood correctly, it's from nerve damage when he shattered some metacarpals about 15 years ago. Other than that, he's a relatively healthy 43 year old male. He's always had a pretty good grip, so I'd guess that even with the degradation it's still stronger than most top level female shooters who could easily wipe the floor with most guys, though at this point I don't know if it's expected to get worse.

He currently carries a P07 with RMR, but has been looking at striker fired pistols because he's worried the DA pull might become an issue in the future. He's also considering a pre-emptive switch to lefty. I broke my arm a couple years ago, and I had no choice but to go that route for a couple months.

These are the options I'm thinking of:

- get a G19 and cross that bridge if strength is further impaired
    - go ahead and switch to lefty with the G19
    - get an S&W M&P EZ 9/380 or a metal framed pistol (to mitigate limp-wristing) if things get really bad

I'd love to get some input from fellow P-Fers. Thanks in advance!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    Asking for a friend. No, really. One of my best friends is losing grip strength in his right hand, and is at about 65% currently. He's also lost some dexterity. If I understood correctly, it's from nerve damage when he shattered some metacarpals about 15 years ago. Other than that, he's a relatively healthy 43 year old male. He's always had a pretty good grip, so I'd guess that even with the degradation it's still stronger than most top level female shooters who could easily wipe the floor with most guys, though at this point I don't know if it's expected to get worse.

He currently carries a P07 with RMR, but has been looking at striker fired pistols because he's worried the DA pull might become an issue in the future. He's also considering a pre-emptive switch to lefty. I broke my arm a couple years ago, and I had no choice but to go that route for a couple months.

- get an S&W M&P EZ 9/380 or a metal framed pistol (to mitigate limp-wristing) if things get really bad

If he likes CZ he might want to try out a p10. My understanding is he might have to switcharoo some base pads, but mags should be compatible. Our CZ cognoscenti should have the low down.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

If he likes DA, have him try an HK P30 V1 LEM. The interchangeable grip options may help him with getting more grip contact with his hand.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Asking for a friend. No, really. One of my best friends is losing grip strength in his right hand, and is at about 65% currently. He's also lost some dexterity. If I understood correctly, it's from nerve damage when he shattered some metacarpals about 15 years ago.
    Your friend should see a doctor. If he has only recently lost grip strength, it is probably not from a 15-year-old injury. Also determine exactly where/how the problem is occurring. I injured the ulnar nerve in my shooting arm and lost grip strength in less than 12 hours, but it had no noticeable effect on trigger pull or limpwristing.

Loss of grip strength is most often associated with problems racking a pistol's slide. It is generally easier to rack the slide of a hammer-fired pistol than one that is striker fired.

I hurt my right wrist this winter and made a dedicated month of left handed work.

My recommendations for him depending on his comfort level:
    1. Buy a left handed holster for what he has now and practice.
    2. Consider a reach reduction kit for his CZ that brings the double action stroke closer. Edit: just checked and this isn’t available as an option for the P07, sorry
    3. Consider a lighter hammer spring for his CZ that brings the DA trigger down a couple pounds but is still 100% reliable.
    4. Instead of a G19, consider a Shadow Systems MR920 so he can get the CZ grip angle in a Glock type platform.
    Last edited by JCN; 05-14-2021 at 10:49 AM.

I injured my right hand about ten years ago, now into my mid-40's, am experiencing noticeable grip strength degradation. I've found that smaller grips help, and subsequently moved away from carrying a Glock 19 to the P365 platform. I own and shoot the Glocks as my full-size option because I still don't trust the P320 (Sig), but generally carry/shoot the P365 (with XL frame).

Quote Originally Posted by gc70 View Post
    Your friend should see a doctor. If he has only recently lost grip strength, it is probably not from a 15-year-old injury. Also determine exactly where/how the problem is occurring. I injured the ulnar nerve in my shooting arm and lost grip strength in less than 12 hours, but it had no noticeable effect on trigger pull or limpwristing.

Loss of grip strength is most often associated with problems racking a pistol's slide. It is generally easier to rack the slide of a hammer-fired pistol than one that is striker fired.
    In addition to seeing a doctor is your friend doing any forearm and grip training? That may be an avenue to improve or at least slow down loss of grip strength. Doctor may suggest a good physical therapist which would be better and safer than self directed grip workouts.

10 years ago I severely injured my right hand in an accident and had to become lefty for a while. That experience prompted me to select only fully ambidextrous handguns for defensive use, get left handed holsters for my carry guns, and practice lefty even after I regained function on my right. It sucked but the human brain can make incredible transitions if forced into it over time.

I agree with the advice here on getting proper medical treatment, grip exercise, etc. But I would also start preparing for the possibility that going sinister is going to be a better option than struggling with an impaired right.

+1 million to all those suggesting he seek medical assessment ASAP. Sudden loss of function and strength in the extremities could be an indicator of things that are way scarier than an old orthopedic issue.

Having said that, the LAST pistol family I'd suggest for anyone with grip strength issues is the Glock family. Glocks need a FIRM grip to function properly, and a "crush" grip to avoid issues with low/left-itis for most shooters. As previously suggested, since he likes the P07, I'd look at the P10C for a platform change, or a trip to get the P07 Cajunized to minimize trigger pull weight. A good single action trigger is going to be way easier for most shooters with grip strength issues to handle than any striker fired solution.

If he's looking for a totally new platform, the M&P 2.0 might be a good choice, especially with some Apex goodies in the action. Or, he could look at the ultimate old guy with bad grip strength pistol - the 1911 (all bow down!). I'm struggling with decreasing grip strength myself, and have personally found that a switch from G19 to the 1911 has made a huge improvement not only in my shooting performance, but in post-training-session pain in my hands, wrists, and elbows.

Site Supporter
    I agree with the suggestion to see a doctor and to get physical therapy. Be sure that the doctor specializes in hand and upper extremity issues. Be sure that the physical therapist is one who works with college and professional level athletes.

User Tag List