Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Most reliable .22 pistol?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I believe Neos magazines can also be modded to work with the Browning Challenger I and Nomad. There's a writeup somewhere on RFC.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I believe Neos magazines can also be modded to work with the Browning Challenger I and Nomad. There's a writeup somewhere on RFC.
    They can. I have modified one. Basically lower the height of the follower button and remove some material from the rear of the baseplate to allow the latch to seat. I am trying to get the same magazine to work in my Belgian Browning and Colt Challenger/Huntsman pistols.

Site Supporter
    From my personal shooting (excluding Rugers) Buckmarks (NOT the prior Browning models like the Challenger), the old S&W 422/622/2206, Beretta 70S and S&W M&P Compact are basically perfectly reliable and trouble free with decent-to-good quality ammo. I would love to pick up another vintage Micro Buckmark and Beretta 70S. Several people that have shot my M&P Compact 22 ended up buying one. It has become one of my main introduction to shooing guns the last couple years because it is light, easy to get hits with the easy to see sights, pretty good trigger, perfectly reliable with CCI SV or MiniMags and has a manual of arms like a heavier caliber automatic because of the full length slide. The older S&Ws are cool as a suppressor host because of the high line of sight relative to the bore. A 6" 422 with a decent little can and CCI Quiet Auto is like old spy move quiet and makes everybody that shoots it grin.

If you go the vintage S&W route I highly recommend that you get a barrel nut wrench from EWK Arms https://ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?m...&products_id=9 . If the barrel nut at the muzzle isn't tight then accuracy goes first and then reliability next as it gets looser.

Never shot steel challenge, but I would probably look at one of the Buckmarks or one of the Ruger MkIV just because 1) they are very reliable and generally accurate and 2) there is a world of stuff that you can to to them if you decide to get serious about it at some point.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    I found my Advantage Arms Glock .22 Conversion slide to be very reliable; far more reliable then a 10/22. Maybe 3-4 jams or failures to fire in a 525rd Federal Bulk pack box.

It worked well with pretty much any ammo as well, even the absolute shittiest Armscor .22 that was really filthy.

It was also quite easy to clean.
    Wow, I have had two AA kits, one G19 and one G26, and neither would come close to that level of functioning. We used to joke that they were even better trainers due to all the malfunction clearance practice. i still have the G19 but haven't shot it in several years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    From my personal shooting (excluding Rugers) Buckmarks (NOT the prior Browning models like the Challenger), the old S&W 422/622/2206, Beretta 70S and S&W M&P Compact are basically perfectly reliable and trouble free with decent-to-good quality ammo. I would love to pick up another vintage Micro Buckmark and Beretta 70S. Several people that have shot my M&P Compact 22 ended up buying one. It has become one of my main introduction to shooing guns the last couple years because it is light, easy to get hits with the easy to see sights, pretty good trigger, perfectly reliable with CCI SV or MiniMags and has a manual of arms like a heavier caliber automatic because of the full length slide. The older S&Ws are cool as a suppressor host because of the high line of sight relative to the bore. A 6" 422 with a decent little can and CCI Quiet Auto is like old spy move quiet and makes everybody that shoots it grin.

If you go the vintage S&W route I highly recommend that you get a barrel nut wrench from EWK Arms https://ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?m...&products_id=9 . If the barrel nut at the muzzle isn't tight then accuracy goes first and then reliability next as it gets looser.

Never shot steel challenge, but I would probably look at one of the Buckmarks or one of the Ruger MkIV just because 1) they are very reliable and generally accurate and 2) there is a world of stuff that you can to to them if you decide to get serious about it at some point.
    Wow, I have had two AA kits, one G19 and one G26, and neither would come close to that level of functioning. We used to joke that they were even better trainers due to all the malfunction clearance practice. i still have the G19 but haven't shot it in several years.
    I was always interested in the AA and other conversion kits for the GLOCKs, but hesitated due to the reputation for finicky reliability.

The G44 has been very reliable, at or above the reliability of all other .22s I’ve used, unless I use the ProMag I bought to see if it would work because 17 rounds instead of 10.

If you're not into Glock ergonomics and want a duty pistol facsimile, I really like my Walther PPQ .22lr. It's been reliable for me with Federal bulk pack as well as CCI, Winchester, Blazer, and Aguila standard velocity. It choked occasionally on the bulk pack stuff but it was really nasty, waxy, old ammo so hard to fault the gun for that. The barrel is factory threaded and Taylor Tactical Supply makes extensions that take the factory mags from 10 to 15rnds. The extensions haven't given me any issues.

Alternatively, if you are into DA/SA and have a Beretta 92, their .22 conversion kit has also been reliable for me and I even put a Burris FF3 on it to train red dot presentation. I thought the extra weight of the dot might be a problem for a .22, but that hasn't been the case so far.
    Lacking Gravitas

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTom View Post
    If you're not into Glock ergonomics and want a duty pistol facsimile, I really like my Walther PPQ .22lr. It's been reliable for me with Federal bulk pack as well as CCI, Winchester, Blazer, and Aguila standard velocity. It choked occasionally on the bulk pack stuff but it was really nasty, waxy, old ammo so hard to fault the gun for that. The barrel is factory threaded and Taylor Tactical Supply makes extensions that take the factory mags from 10 to 15rnds. The extensions haven't given me any issues.

Alternatively, if you are into DA/SA and have a Beretta 92, their .22 conversion kit has also been reliable for me and I even put a Burris FF3 on it to train red dot presentation. I thought the extra weight of the dot might be a problem for a .22, but that hasn't been the case so far.
    Excellent suggestions on non glock duty pistol options.

Slightly less than 1000 rounds through my G44 thus far, with no malfunctions. I haven't cleaned it, but have kept it lubed and wiped off the feedramp a few times. It has only been fed 40gr Mini-Mags, as I work my way through a 5000-rd case.

Mine was for the G21 Gen 3, purchased ~15 years ago.

I had frequently heard complaints on reliability / ammo pickiness for AA, but mine has always been awesome.

Cleaned mine with baby wipes and a little CLP, so pretty minimal maintenance as well.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Not to negate anything I said earlier, but I probably should note that Ms. gata naranja's Ruger SR22 is only fed CCI Mini-Mags, and it is enviably reliable... right up to the point where firing residue starts sticking to things and building up. It takes a while, but it does happen. I laughed at - and roundly ridiculed - the thing when it came into the house, but with Mini-Mags, it has been a great little fun gun that is less fussy than lots of "better" .22 pistols.

In theory, I would avoid it like the plague, but I actually enjoy the hell out of it and appreciate the absolute lack of drama we have experienced with it.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List