Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Generation of Glock to convert to RDS

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Can one mill into the MOS cutout you make it more optimal/deeper? Or is the Glock cutout satisfactory and it’s only their plate that sucks ?

The way my vision is going I think I’ll pretty much have to make an RDS work and I hate to spin my wheels too much with a high mounted optic that makes me dislike the RDS or screw up make me start out with a presentation that needs to be tweaked later (although this latter concern may be OCD paranoia ).

I find myself wondering again if an aftermarket slide may be the better way to go, assuming that they too would alleviate brass to the optic.. which maybe they won’t. Or an MR920..

But great points everyone, thanks!
    An aftermarket slide is definitely an option. I don’t believe MOS can be milled deeper (not sure, though), I would start with a non-MOS slide to get maximum flexibility. Maybe one of the premilled Brownells slides?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Which Generation of Glock to convert to RDS

Can one mill into the MOS cutout you make it more optimal/deeper? Or is the Glock cutout satisfactory and it’s only their plate that sucks ?

The way my vision is going I think I’ll pretty much have to make an RDS work and I hate to spin my wheels too much with a high mounted optic that makes me dislike the RDS or screw up make me start out with a presentation that needs to be tweaked later (although this latter concern may be OCD paranoia ).

I find myself wondering again if an aftermarket slide may be the better way to go, assuming that they too would alleviate brass to the optic.. which maybe they won’t. Or an MR920..

But great points everyone, thanks!
    With your 509T, a milled slide is a much better setup in my opinion. No, you can’t mill a MOS gun for a 509T. And the 509T would be the only slide that fits that pattern.

This is the 509T on a MOS gun using the Glock MOS plate and Holosun adapter.

The gun on the left is using a C&H 509T to MOS adapter. (The one on the right has a Forward control designs RMR to MOS adapter) This is a better option than the factory MOS/Holosun adapter. But the direct mill would be a better choice. I have one at Jagerwerks to be milled now.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    An aftermarket slide is definitely an option. I don’t believe MOS can be milled deeper (not sure, though), I would start with a non-MOS slide to get maximum flexibility. Maybe one of the premilled Brownells slides?
    I am even prepared to go more Gucci and was thinking of Agency Arms or maybe Primary Machine but the Brownells Route seems like a solid and more economical choice so I am considering that too potentially.

The issue of brass ejected into the optic doesn’t seem to come up during aftermarket slide discussions which is interesting. Could it be that they are less susceptible to this compared to stock Gen3 and Gen4 Glocks? I don’t know. I may start another thread asking people with aftermarket slides if they have such an issue at all.

I am also considering the fact that if I just wanted front serrations, getting a whole Gen5 Glock and sending it in for a simple mill job will be around a similar price for merely getting a stripped slide from Agency, albeit a pretty posh one with the cool serrations and lightening cuts. I’m not even sure how necessary lightening cuts are in fact.

Lots to learn about and consider apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by professor View Post
    With your 509T, a milled slide is a much better setup in my opinion. No, you can’t mill a MOS gun for a 509T. And the 509T would be the only slide that fits that pattern.

This is the 509T on a MOS gun using the Glock MOS plate and Holosun adapter.

The gun on the left is using a C&H 509T to MOS adapter. (The one on the right has a Forward control designs RMR to MOS adapter) This is a better option than the factory MOS/Holosun adapter. But the direct mill would be a better choice. I have one at Jagerwerks to be milled now.

What a difference.. thanks for those very informative photos! Is the top left 509T mil done by jagerwerks ?

What a difference.. thanks for those very informative photos! Is the top left 509T mil done by jagerwerks ?
    Yes, it was a picture that I snapped off Jagerwerks Facebook page.

Can one mill into the MOS cutout you make it more optimal/deeper? !
    I haven’t done it myself so I can’t say for sure, but MOS milling appears as an option in the Jagerwerks drop down list for models.

https://jagerwerks.com/holosun-509t-for-glock/

I am also considering the fact that if I just wanted front serrations, getting a whole Gen5 Glock and sending it in for a simple mill job will be around a similar price for merely getting a stripped slide from Agency, albeit a pretty posh one with the cool serrations and lightening cuts.

Loaded OEM slides are going for crazy numbers right now. I originally was just going to pick up a non-MOS slide for my 45 MOS.
    Instead I picked up new blue label (with a GSSF coupon) gun for less than slides were on eBay. I grabbed a 19 so I’d have a frame to swap it with if I felt I needed a bit less grip to conceal. Or I could just sell the frame on gunbroker.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    I haven’t done it myself so I can’t say for sure, but MOS milling appears as an option in the Jagerwerks drop down list for models.

https://jagerwerks.com/holosun-509t-for-glock/
    Yeah I see it in the options! Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by professor View Post
    Loaded OEM slides are going for crazy numbers right now. I originally was just going to pick up a non-MOS slide for my 45 MOS.
    Instead I picked up new blue label (with a GSSF coupon) gun for less than slides were on eBay. I grabbed a 19 so I’d have a frame to swap it with if I felt I needed a bit less grip to conceal. Or I could just sell the frame on gunbroker.
    That’s wild! And that’s a good set up. Will you get the 19 rds’ed too?

I fell off the pistol shooting bandwagon several years ago and I find myself with older Gen Glocks: two gen3 19’s, one for carry and one for high round counts, a Gen3G17 w Wilson barrel for competition, and a gen4 g17 w green OD frame just for fun. I have an OD G26 too that I ended up carrying a lot. Surprisingly because of the breech face issue, the significance of which I’m not ultimately sure of, but it makes sense to want ejection that clears the optic, I find myself disinclined to send a gen3 or 4 for milling.

So it looks like I’ll have to trade into a pair of Gen 5’s maybe... and then send them for slide work.. or go for a wanton act of consumerism and get an already converted Agency Gen5 Glock for like $2500, but I’d be afraid it’s one with the old breech face cut !

I may in fact just wait, this is getting too complicated .. or just send one of my Gen3s in for milling and take a chance on brass to the optic... I mean it’ll only be a Holosun .. or is there a gunsmith that will reprofile my breech? Maybe even Glock? Just thinking out loud ova here.

User Tag List