Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Generation of Glock to convert to RDS

Which Generation of Glock to convert to RDS

Howdy..so I'm looking at going RDS.

I've got a 509T coming in. I'm considering getting a 508T too.

I've got a Gen3 G17 and a Gen4 G17. I also have two Gen3 G19's but they have nice Austrian proof marks, and call me sentimental, but I wouldn't mill those..I'd end up buying another slide for a G19. I also have a G26 but I don't think I'd go RDS with that at that point.

But, my question is:
    - should I be looking to go Gen3 for RDS, Gen4...or sell/trade my way into a Gen5 first, that I'll then RDS.

I'll also add that:
    - the Gen3 frames fit me very well, and I generally don't have any issues with the Gen3 guns.
    - I do have a Wilson drop in Match barrel in the Gen 3 G17 that shoots with good precision for me, so I think an RDS would be a good addition to this gun, unless I'm making a mistake sticking with Gen3 for some reason that I can't envisage.
    - I won a walk back competition/drill, in a John "Shrek" McPhee class, with the Gen4 G17, with the last winning shots out to about 105 yards so that Gen4 is a good shooter too (incidentally I beat two shooters that had RDS's on their Glocks, but this was around 4 years ago and my vision has taken a noticeable nose dive since then - hence my wanting to go RDS, partly).

I mention the last points regarding precision only because I am thinking of RDS'ing a gun that does have very good precision potential, and I wonder how much more precision potential a Gen 5 might have compared to my Gen3 and 4 G17's.

I also wonder about the Gen4 and Gen5's being flatter shooting, but I'm not sure I've noticed a difference between my Gen3 and Gen4 G17..

So overall, which platform would benefit most from the RDS treatment, do y'all think?

Gen 5 with the breach face cut so it bucks the brass so far they won't bounce off your optic and scratch the front lens.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Gen 5 with the breach face cut so it bucks the brass so far they won't bounce off your optic and scratch the front lens.
    Well there’s a consideration I hadn’t thought of. Do Gen3 and 4’s commonly eject into the glass ?

Which iteration of the Gen5 Glocks have the breech face cut in the correct fashion? Or is it an aftermarket mod?

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Well there’s a consideration I hadn’t thought of. Do Gen3 and 4’s commonly eject into the glass ?

Which iteration of the Gen5 Glocks have the breech face cut in the correct fashion? Or is it an aftermarket mod?
    Any GEN5 with front cocking serrations should also have the breech face cut. It was a rolling change from the factory.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

For a first RDS Glock, I’d definitely go Gen5 MOS for simplicity. In fact, I did!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I’m a firm believer that everyone needs to give the Gen 5 Glock a solid look, whether they’re looking for their pistol number one or one hundred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK! I'll consider selling my Gen4 G17 to get into a Gen5 G17...or maybe a G45, does the G45 have the correct breach face as well?

Thinking laterally for a sec., do any of you know if the SS MR920 have an optimized breach face? For that matter how about Primary Machine or Agency Arms slides for the Gen 3 or 4, do they have the correct breach face?

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    OK! I'll consider selling my Gen4 G17 to get into a Gen5 G17...or maybe a G45, does the G45 have the correct breach face as well?
    Current G45s have it, too. IMO a 45 MOS with your RDS of choice would be a great choice. I’ve actually considered getting one and using it with an ACRO.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

If sticking with Glock, another +1 for a Gen5 MOS. Is MOS better than a slide milled specifically for your optic? No. But it is a very good modular system for deciding if we're about That Dot Lyfe IMO, which is exactly what I've used it for.

• Gen5 MOS 19, 17, 45, whichever you prefer
    • Forward Controls Design or CHPWS (in my order of preference) plate to replace the factory Glock plate
    • Holosun 507/508 using the most common (RMR) footprint to get your feet wet with the RDS

I think you could do a lot worse than starting with that system. Then mill one of your guns for the 509 if you think you really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Current G45s have it, too. IMO a 45 MOS with your RDS of choice would be a great choice. I’ve actually considered getting one and using it with an ACRO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    If sticking with Glock, another +1 for a Gen5 MOS. Is MOS better than a slide milled specifically for your optic? No. But it is a very good modular system for deciding if we're about That Dot Lyfe IMO, which is exactly what I've used it for.

• Gen5 MOS 19, 17, 45, whichever you prefer
    • Forward Controls Design or CHPWS (in my order of preference) plate to replace the factory Glock plate
    • Holosun 507/508 using the most common (RMR) footprint to get your feet wet with the RDS

I think you could do a lot worse than starting with that system. Then mill one of your guns for the 509 if you think you really like it.
    Can one mill into the MOS cutout you make it more optimal/deeper? Or is the Glock cutout satisfactory and it’s only their plate that sucks ?

The way my vision is going I think I’ll pretty much have to make an RDS work and I hate to spin my wheels too much with a high mounted optic that makes me dislike the RDS or screw up make me start out with a presentation that needs to be tweaked later (although this latter concern may be OCD paranoia ).

I find myself wondering again if an aftermarket slide may be the better way to go, assuming that they too would alleviate brass to the optic.. which maybe they won’t. Or an MR920..

But great points everyone, thanks!

User Tag List