Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid: CDC Says No Mask Necessary For Fully Vaccinated

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Naturally the one I got is not perfectly transparent, sort of like looking through the bottom of a tupperware container.
    I had a snowmobile helmet like that once. Sometime during the second season riding with it I figured out it had been shipped with a protective film on the lens..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I'm keeping my mask policy at my office while I try to figure out what to do. Things for me to mull over:

1) Not all of my staff are vaccinated. I cannot force them to get vaccinated.
    2) Since the mask/cleaning policy, none of them have called in sick (yay!) the whole year. Prior to the pandemic, they were out a lot for the flu and cold.
    3) There are worker's comp considerations to be addressed. If they get persistent ailments from a COVID infection that puts them out of work, it could be a worker's comp situation. I got COVID in December and I was out of work for 2 weeks!
    4) In Maricopa County, the vaccination rate is only about 29%. Far from herd immunity.
    We have something north of 90% of the people who work in my building vaccinated, but I predict that we will be masked up until the rate rises for the general public around us (currently less than 1%)

I have found mask wearing is a great 2A point of discussion too from some of my hoplophobic co-workers. Q: "Why do you always have your gun with you?" A: "Same reason I wear a mask, I am more than willing to deal with some personal discomfort wearing a piece of equipment in order to help protect the people around me" (also it's part of my job idiot, but I soft pedal that bit). One of my otherwise decent acquaintances had a damn near head exploding epiphany over this the other day.

Note: this argument does not work if you are one of those idiots who was all anti-masker during the pandemic - in that case, you have lost your 'sheepdog' (tm) cred with anyone that this argument would work on...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'm rotating at the childrens hospital now and we have to wear face shields into every patient room. Naturally the one I got is not perfectly transparent, sort of like looking through the bottom of a tupperware container. Would be love to be rid of that.
    As mentioned above, face shield lenses often have a protective sheet over both viewing surfaces for shipping protection. Some people don't know to remove that. They're also easily damaged by certain cleaning agents, and yours could be a victim of that practice. Most of the ones I've seen in public are pretty much the same that I wear on the job, and you should be able to buy your own lens for a few dollars at any industrial store, Tractor Supply, or anyplace that sells welding supplies. Assuming yours locks to the headgear with little rotating plastic clips.

They're a consumable that I replace pretty regularly, as they're soft and easily scratched.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    As mentioned above, face shield lenses often have a protective sheet over both viewing surfaces for shipping protection. Some people don't know to remove that. They're also easily damaged by certain cleaning agents, and yours could be a victim of that practice. Most of the ones I've seen in public are pretty much the same that I wear on the job, and you should be able to buy your own lens for a few dollars at any industrial store, Tractor Supply, or anyplace that sells welding supplies. Assuming yours locks to the headgear with little rotating plastic clips.

They're a consumable that I replace pretty regularly, as they're soft and easily scratched.
    These are cheap plastic disposable face shields - no protective film over the plastic. As far as I know mine is new form hospital supply, I just think they’re garbage by design ...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I'm keeping my mask policy at my office while I try to figure out what to do. Things for me to mull over:

1) Not all of my staff are vaccinated. I cannot force them to get vaccinated.
    2) Since the mask/cleaning policy, none of them have called in sick (yay!) the whole year. Prior to the pandemic, they were out a lot for the flu and cold.
    3) There are worker's comp considerations to be addressed. If they get persistent ailments from a COVID infection that puts them out of work, it could be a worker's comp situation. I got COVID in December and I was out of work for 2 weeks!
    4) In Maricopa County, the vaccination rate is only about 29%. Far from herd immunity.
    Re: worker’s comp—I would talk with your carrier. Unless it can be definitively proven that an employee contracted COVID at work, which is tough to do, they may well deny the claim. In the past five months, I’ve filed two different WC claims on behalf of employees who contracted COVID and who I could prove had contact with other employees who had tested positive for COVID just a few days earlier, and the claims were still denied. Granted, that’s a small sample size and only represents a single carrier. In this case, the carrier basically asked “in the past 14 days, have you had contact with ANYONE other than coworkers,” and in both cases, the answer was yes, so...

FWIW, a year ago we were frantically 3D printing face shield frames to give to local nurses. For the clear part we just used clear film, either the laminating film (just laminated the sheets without putting anything between them) or overhead transparency film. Both were available for a nickle a sheet or somesuch. We'd give several clear shields with each frame.

https://3dverkstan.se/protective-vis...isor-versions/

The clear part is easily made with a standard 3 hole punch, and trimming the bottom with scissors if you want. They are easy enough you could use them as disposables.

Some places required certification, and some US agency (NIOSH?? FDA??) issued approval for these back then (sorry, don't have the link handy). Dunno if that's still in force, we stopped printing them in mid summer when commercial supplies caught up.

Anyway, I mention this because:

1)You can use it to explain to your wife why you need a 3D printer, and...
    2)Even if you don't do that, you might be able to DIY a replacement clear part for your existing one (or not, depending on how it is built).

Home Depot or wherever also has assorted commercial ones, of course.

Site Supporter
    I was pleasantly surprised that Washington Governor Inslee announced the state would be following the CDC guidelines.

My gym announced no masks required for fully-vaccinated folks. It was quite nice to be able to lift with some oxygen.

The gym did not check anyone's status, so the honor system was in full effect.

I was surprised and somewhat impressed by the number of folks (mostly younger) who were wearing face coverings in the gym. I bet it was proportionate to our full vax rate in the community which is about 45 percent of the population 16 and up.

At work we are waiting for the Labor and Industries (state OSHA) guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised that Washington Governor Inslee announced the state would be following the CDC guidelines.

My gym announced no masks required for fully-vaccinated folks. It was quite nice to be able to lift with some oxygen.

The gym did not check anyone's status, so the honor system was in full effect.

I was surprised and somewhat impressed by the number of folks (mostly younger) who were wearing face coverings in the gym. I bet it was proportionate to our full vax rate in the community which is about 45 percent of the population 16 and up.

At work we are waiting for the Labor and Industries (state OSHA) guidelines.
    I went several places yesterday and ran a couple errands this morning and none of them over here on the west side are asking for papers...yet.

On Friday afternoon, the government agency I work for said that face masks would not be required in the building for vaccinated people. I was surprised at how quickly that decision was made.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    On Friday afternoon, the government agency I work for said that face masks would not be required in the building for vaccinated people. I was surprised at how quickly that decision was made.
    The gov't is the tip of the spear to get the message out to the masses.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List