Thread: Lowest Profile Mount for Compact MRDS?

Lowest Profile Mount for Compact MRDS?

I searched the forum already for options and experiences, but given how fast the optic market is rolling through iterations, I thought I’d start a thread.

The Problem: I love shooting my wheelguns. I am also rapidly losing visual acuity in my left eye (thanks, mom). As in, my prescription yeeted itself down another 1.75 points in a single year. My new contacts get me back to 20/20, but I can no longer focus my vision to points at an arm’s length. Iron sights are no longer an option; I cannot resolve sight picture or even the light bars around my front sight.

So, I’ve converted to shooting a MRDS pistol (M17 with R1P) only and am in the process of converting everything that can be converted to a dot. Shooting with a dot works great; being unable to focus on the dot even if I wanted to is an unexpected ancillary benefit.

I have a Model 19-9 that I miss shooting at matches and a 60-15 that has been my go-to hiking and fly-fishing gun for a couple years. No one is making (and I doubt the demand exists) a direct mount MRDS for K- or J-frame adjustable sight cuts, e.g. the Leupold DP Micro.

Who is making the lowest-profile, best quality mount for the Holosun 407K/507K footprint, and does anyone have any particular experience with those options? I am already familiar with people mounting Aimpoint mailboxes on Apex mounts, but my goal here is overall compactness.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

My 686 is at the smith right now getting D&T'd for an Allchin mount for a 507c. I tried it on my 629 MG that is already D&T'd and was surprised at how well it worked out. It's about as low as I could find.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    I searched the forum already for options and experiences, but given how fast the optic market is rolling through iterations, I thought I’d start a thread.

The Problem: I love shooting my wheelguns. I am also rapidly losing visual acuity in my left eye (thanks, mom). As in, my prescription yeeted itself down another 1.75 points in a single year. My new contacts get me back to 20/20, but I can no longer focus my vision to points at an arm’s length. Iron sights are no longer an option; I cannot resolve sight picture or even the light bars around my front sight.

So, I’ve converted to shooting a MRDS pistol (M17 with R1P) only and am in the process of converting everything that can be converted to a dot. Shooting with a dot works great; being unable to focus on the dot even if I wanted to is an unexpected ancillary benefit.

I have a Model 19-9 that I miss shooting at matches and a 60-15 that has been my go-to hiking and fly-fishing gun for a couple years. No one is making (and I doubt the demand exists) a direct mount MRDS for K- or J-frame adjustable sight cuts, e.g. the Leupold DP Micro.

Who is making the lowest-profile, best quality mount for the Holosun 407K/507K footprint, and does anyone have any particular experience with those options? I am already familiar with people mounting Aimpoint mailboxes on Apex mounts, but my goal here is overall compactness.
    Name:  B286D48F-5227-4DB7-B9EE-7747F300F4EF.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  64.6 KB

This is a 507k mounted on a J point adapter with nubs filed down. The adapter works on all modern adjustable rear sight Smith frames. I’ve had it mounted on a 686+ as well.

Next to it in silver is the Allchin mount for RMR/507c. It’s very similar in height.

How does it work?

Very well.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Name:  B286D48F-5227-4DB7-B9EE-7747F300F4EF.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  64.6 KB

This is a 507k mounted on a J point adapter with nubs filed down. The adapter works on all modern adjustable rear sight Smith frames. I’ve had it mounted on a 686+ as well.

Next to it in silver is the Allchin mount for RMR/507c. It’s very similar in height.
    That is exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    That is exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you.
    You’re welcome! There are a few in stock at Midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008936677

Let me know if you have any questions later with install. I think I took the Dremel grinding disc and shaved the rear nubs and trimmed the front nubs to fit the Holosun as the Jpoint/Shield has full height front and back while the Holosun only has shallow front ones IIRC. Footprint is the same.

User Tag List