Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first kydex iwb holster, is it a proper build?

My first kydex iwb holster, is it a proper build?

Name:  DE0EEE75-357A-4298-A656-707833B7247A.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  33.4 KBGreetings,
    I just got my first iwb holster and I feel that the ride height is low and that the red dot sits lower then the quick clip which will put additional wear on the optic. Anything I can do on my end to fix/adjust anything?

Name:  45E24BF6-9981-484F-A64C-01C45911134C.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  35.6 KBName:  45E24BF6-9981-484F-A64C-01C45911134C.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  35.6 KBName:  6226F011-2B99-4D0B-B11C-6651277F9725.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  45.9 KBName:  C4F92F1A-0E15-45F2-9266-8477F6E7CA8B.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  35.6 KBName:  929D9F2A-6795-4CD4-B28D-3660160D3DA0.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  38.6 KB
    Last edited by 1dude1dog1gun; 05-13-2021 at 01:37 PM.

No? No one can help me out with this?

I would suggest you start with reading these tips, there is some great information here.

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/the-...ent-mechanics/

Site Supporter
    How much contact is there between the optic and the belt when you are actually wearing the holster? I don't think wrapping your belt around the holster like that is a fair test. Get dressed, do a hundred draw strokes, then see what you think about ride height.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

The pic is just a reference so people understand what I’m talking about. Yes I have absolutely worn the holster and my belt will eventually ruin any optic in its current state. The main reason why I’m even making an issue out of this at all is the fact that this holster was pretty expensive. Well, I think so anyways. North of $125
    Last edited by 1dude1dog1gun; 05-14-2021 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1dude1dog1gun View Post

Greetings,

I just got my first iwb holster and I feel that the ride height is low and that the red dot sits lower then the quick clip which will put additional wear on the optic. Anything I can do on my end to fix/adjust anything?
    That's hard to say, but the dot looks quite a bit lower/closer to the belt line than I have mine set up (AIWB, Dark Star Gear Hitchhiker, Glock 48 milled for a 507k.)

Name:  IMG_8750.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  35.8 KB

Individual fit is highly personal, and it's not unusual to go through a number of different holster options until you settle on one that works. Unless you have some adjustment holes, either in the holster already, or can drill some through the kydex (is that kydex? I've never seen clear kydex, but if so, cool), it doesn't look like the ride height vis a vis clip to optic can be changed? Would it be possible to explore other attachment designs, such as Pull The Dot loops? Drilling the loop fabric to a new hole might be possible, and would affect the ride height slightly. Or steel DCC clips might work, it's hard to say. The mounting position/area might not work however, as the position of the chicago screws for the clip / PTD / DCC may be either up side or down side of the attachment, depending on which one you select.

If you carry strong side vs. AIWB, my comments may or may not apply (I carry AIWB).

Site Supporter
    Greetings,
    I just got my first iwb holster and I feel that the ride height is low and that the red dot sits lower then the quick clip which will put additional wear on the optic.
    This is why most of us don't still have our first IWB/AIWB holster, and why you see so many for sale in the various forum classifieds...finding the Goldilocks holster on the first try is rare.

Site Supporter
    The pic is just a reference so people understand what I’m talking about. Yes I have absolutely worn the holster and my belt will eventually ruin any optic in its current state. The main reason why I’m even making an issue out of this at all is the fact that this holster was pretty expensive. Well, I think so anyways. North of $125
    In that case, I'd be getting in touch with the holster maker. Hopefully he will send you a holster that works or refund your money. A good place to start looking for a holster is the supporting businesses sub-forum. Actually that's an even better place to finish looking for a holster!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    That's hard to say, but the dot looks quite a bit lower/closer to the belt line than I have mine set up (AIWB, Dark Star Gear Hitchhiker, Glock 48 milled for a 507k.)

Name:  IMG_8750.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  35.8 KB

Individual fit is highly personal, and it's not unusual to go through a number of different holster options until you settle on one that works. Unless you have some adjustment holes, either in the holster already, or can drill some through the kydex (is that kydex? I've never seen clear kydex, but if so, cool), it doesn't look like the ride height vis a vis clip to optic can be changed? Would it be possible to explore other attachment designs, such as Pull The Dot loops? Drilling the loop fabric to a new hole might be possible, and would affect the ride height slightly. Or steel DCC clips might work, it's hard to say. The mounting position/area might not work however, as the position of the chicago screws for the clip / PTD / DCC may be either up side or down side of the attachment, depending on which one you select.

If you carry strong side vs. AIWB, my comments may or may not apply (I carry AIWB).

Your def on the same page as me regarding the questions your asking and possible options for adjustment. Most def appreciated! My main concern is the belt line not clearing the optic. Yes sir! It’s called “Ghost Clear” kydex. I to am an instant fan the sec I laid me eyes on it. The holster all in was about $140 out the door to my door. I think it’s safe to say most people (myself included) would try and exhaust all reasonable options before having to do anything that takes a headache and turns it into a migraine. Again, you hit the nail on the head, no natives ride height adjustments to speak of and only 1 “cant” hole. Again, your on the same exact page regarding the decision to look at differing clips that may help ride height. Question, since I’m not planning on appendix carry, would there be an option to take the claw off and instead putting on some type of clip? If you inspect the holster body where the clips screw holes are, I’m not quite sure where an alternative area to drill potential holes. I’m sure there’s more ninjas like yourself that could help us combine our powers and spank the issue 🤘!!! Again, I’m new to iwb and recently shed’ the “ultra bright green noob” status And graduated to “dark green noob” status when it comes to firearms in general so I really REALLY appreciate everyone’s input!

Site Supporter
    I’ve spent probably 2k in holsters trying to get it all figured out.

Run it and see. Even at $140, some small garage Kydex dudes mess things up or don’t have it figured.

User Tag List