Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My first kydex iwb holster, is it a proper build?

Your optic won’t be ruined by this holster and you probably need to just buy a holster more suited for your needs.
    #RESIST

The holster posted by 1dude looks sub-optimal in my opinion.

1) the lack of ride height adjustment is a major shortcoming. On this JMCK you see there's two sets of holes at the top, and four on the bottom for various ride heights.

Name:  20210514_131849.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  33.4 KB

Additionally, it looks like there's a lot of bulk under the light. I prefer holster's with minimal material adjacent to the dust cover or WML. The holster shown above is a nice example of the excess material under the dust cover removed.

The OP's belt clip is out dated too. There are much better options out there, including Discrete Carry Concept clips (as pictured above) or the spring steel clip offered by Dark Star Gear and JM Custom Kydex, as shown below. Pull the dot loops are popular with some folks, and there's a few other options that will provide better retention than that crappy clip.

Name:  20210514_131749.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  32.2 KB

The OP's sweat guard is huge, and would cause me significant issues on the draw. Shooters who flag their thumbs on the draw may not mind the sweat guard.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but the kydex edges of the OP's holster don't appear particularly well finished. If you look at my holsters, you'll see the edges are very rounded and superbly finished.

JM Custom Kydex and Dark Star Gear are very well regarded here. There are other good brands too. I recommend going with a manufacturer who carries and shots a lot. Their gear will usually reflect that.

Your mileage will almost certainly vary.
    Last edited by Mark D; 05-14-2021 at 03:46 PM.

OP: Don't sweat it, just continue your search.

Everybody has (or will have) a holster box, filled with all those that have come before. Some worked well, some didn't work at all, and some worked well until we found something better.

Finding the perfect holster is, I think, a never-ending quest.

It's about an inch low, but there are other reasons I'd pass on it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The holster posted by 1dude looks sub-optimal in my opinion.

1) the lack of ride height adjustment is a major shortcoming. On this JMCK you see there's two sets of holes at the top, and four on the bottom for various ride heights.

Name:  20210514_131849.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  33.4 KB

Additionally, it looks like there's a lot of bulk under the light. I prefer holster's with minimal material adjacent to the dust cover or WML. The holster shown above is a nice example of the excess material under the dust cover removed.

The OP's belt clip is out dated too. There are much better options out there, including Discrete Carry Concept clips (as pictured above) or the spring steel clip offered by Dark Star Gear and JM Custom Kydex, as shown below. Pull the dot loops are popular with some folks, and there's a few other options that will provide better retention than that crappy clip.

Name:  20210514_131749.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  32.2 KB

The OP's sweat guard is huge, and would cause me significant issues on the draw. Shooters who flag their thumbs on the draw may not mind the sweat guard.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but the kydex edges of the OP's holster don't appear particularly well finished. If you look at my holsters, you'll see the edges are very rounded and superbly finished.

JM Custom Kydex and Dark Star Gear are very well regarded here. There are other good brands too. I recommend going with a manufacturer who carries and shots a lot. Their gear will usually reflect that.

Your mileage will almost certainly vary.
    Very good points you bring up. The extra bulk you speak of is a bit of future proofing if I want to add a compensator. The finish is an option given to the customer given that they don’t care about the sexy finish or a few tool marks. (The way the order page made it sound was like JUST the edge finish. Me being a noob, I honestly thought just that....around the edges, not knowing the meant the entire finish) to save some money. The sweat guard is that way for my application. I walk a lot of miles almost daily (usually about 5-8miles) and the coming warm months ahead, I just want to protect my minimal Investment as much as possible. Regarding the “outdated” clip...I chose this option because I like the idea of quick on and off rather then belt looops. It just seemed like the right choice given my needs. I did my best window shopping to ensure I was getting what I needed and didn’t mind paying a few bucks extra...I’ll attach a few pics of there gallery regarding the same model of holster and the appearance of a non issue of a belt interfering with an opticName:  84F39E68-A544-46B1-A993-451581F30E8E.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  49.1 KBName:  5D8F00C4-86BF-4521-98F9-958E7733E573.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  34.6 KBName:  E03F8199-068E-4B30-8B9F-8929C48004F2.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  16.0 KB

Also I think I may have an idea that would fix this. I’m just spitballin’ here so don’t break my ba**s to hard if said idea is d.u.m.b. On the body of the holster directly under the clip, there’s a section that is slightly raised and if I’m not mistaken could clear the screws/hardware for a diff means of attaching to a belt which in theory could raise the height Name:  FB94D654-40A2-4585-A137-74FE1F2BCA55.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  32.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Can you send it back? Is there a 30 day warranty?
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Can you send it back? Is there a 30 day warranty?
    I’d like to think they do...I emailed my issues of concern to info/sales Thursday and have yet to hear back. There website does mention 3 days wait for a reply , so I’ll be a good human and wait for there response

Is there a reason you have the optic covered?

I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but that appears to be a fake RMR...

User Tag List