Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: My first kydex iwb holster, is it a proper build?

Quote Originally Posted by 1dude1dog1gun View Post
    It is absolutely a knock off rmr. I’m not trying to hide anything 😄. I’ve never owned an optic before and am not about to spend several hundred dollars on my first one while learning the dos and donts of the optic world. I’ll most likely break it inadvertently by bumping into something. Hence the boot cover on it. You don’t buy a Ferrari as your first car now do ya
    No offense intended or taken. As someone else mentioned, some folks have unknowingly bought fakes, and I noticed it and pointed it out. I am making some assumptions, but you seemed like a "noob" to this stuff, and it seemed like a good thing to point out in the interest of maybe saving an unfamiliar person from trying to sort out shit gear, thinking its GTG. I am sorry it has derailed your thread.

As for the holster, I'd return it if you can, and buy from a more well known holster maker specializing in RMR compatible holsters. I really like JM Custom Kydex myself, but there are many other makers that are good too (Dark Star Gear, Keepers Concealment etc). Kydex is pretty easy to modify, but its also easy to screw it up, so if you DIY you may end up with a poor plastic pistol shaped paperweight.

ETA: Two things strike me about the holster you have: The belt clip and mounting holes place the lens of the optic right at the belt line, which isn't ideal... Or BELOW the belt line, if you use the upper hole in the front to cant the holster. This is a sign of a poorly thought out design, when it comes to optic compatible holsters, IMHO. It looks like a normal holster designed around a gun with no optic, that had the top hacked down to fit the optic, with no thought to where the optic would end up, particularly if you used the holes that gave the holster a forward cant.
    Last edited by WDR; 05-18-2021 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    There is no conspiracy, we wanted you to know what you had so that when it doesn’t hold zero or just stops working you wouldn’t be surprised and so you won’t put it on a firearm meant for defensive purposes. I’d rather a friend use stock glock sights that put one of those on a gun they might have to use as life saving equipment.
    Oh, well then that’s much appreciated man! You know how messaging/texts can be without any context behind it, soul-less words in binary format can certainly get lost in translation. I guess I’m used to seein’ honest people posting threads while trying to learn from pros just to get ther ba**s sledgehammered usually from some dude with a chip on his shoulder. But I digress...ya know what’s funny about that knock off optic I bought....I swear, the common standard gripe/bitch is people can’t get zero because they are crap and apparently the vertical won’t extend far enuf down but I must’ve gotten the only working unit...kinda funny

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    No offense intended or taken. As someone else mentioned, some folks have unknowingly bought fakes, and I noticed it and pointed it out. I am making some assumptions, but you seemed like a "noob" to this stuff, and it seemed like a good thing to point out in the interest of maybe saving an unfamiliar person from trying to sort out shit gear, thinking its GTG. I am sorry it has derailed your thread.

As for the holster, I'd return it if you can, and buy from a more well known holster maker specializing in RMR compatible holsters. I really like JM Custom Kydex myself, but there are many other makers that are good too (Dark Star Gear, Keepers Concealment etc). Kydex is pretty easy to modify, but its also easy to screw it up, so if you DIY you may end up with a poor plastic pistol shaped paperweight.

ETA: Two things strike me about the holster you have: The belt clip and mounting holes place the lens of the optic right at the belt line, which isn't ideal... Or BELOW the belt line, if you use the upper hole in the front to cant the holster. This is a sign of a poorly thought out design, when it comes to optic compatible holsters, IMHO. It looks like a normal holster designed around a gun with no optic, that had the top hacked down to fit the optic, with no thought to where the optic would end up, particularly if you used the holes that gave the holster a forward cant.
    You guys are pros. I really appreciate the input. I completely agree. In fact part of my email stated that the optic clearance is more of a one size fits all generic cut. I took screenshots of there gallery photos of the same model of holster and that’d what I based my decision on. So this whole thing sucks a bit. I mean, for $140, all I got was a tiny cardboard box juuuuuust big enuf for said holster to fit in and a cheesy sticker...THATS IT , no bubble wrap and no means of gear protection. Literally a box and the holster. Extremely anti-climatic. I received the holster Wednesday, I emailed them late Wednesday night and there website says allow for 3 days for a response and I haven’t heard a thing...and they are currently working 6-7 day weeks....I’ve emailed 3 times and three no phone number listed on there website. Oh and a closer inspection of the holster revealed imperfections that are impacting my pistols health, beauty and overall well being...now, we can’t be havin that...mr over priced holster...you get an F- and are confined to solitary confinement to the drawer of no return ....maybe

Who did you buy it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Who did you buy it from?
    I’m super duper close to divulging the manufacturer at this point. I was waiting for a response in hopes of working something out and to not prematurely dirty any manufacturers name, but 5emails later and not a word back is REALLY starting to test my patience. To me, This $140 holster does it’s job like trash fitting into a garbage sack. After you all pointed out certain flaws..I really dissected it for what it is and in its current condition....F- on the report card

I’m super duper close to divulging the manufacturer at this point. I was waiting for a response in hopes of working something out and to not prematurely dirty any manufacturers name, but 5emails later and not a word back is REALLY starting to test my patience. To me, This $140 holster does it’s job like trash fitting into a garbage sack. After you all pointed out certain flaws..I really dissected it for what it is and in its current condition....F- on the report card

There's a lot more wrong with this than what's been listed, but it is possible that your emails aren't getting through. If people knew just how often emails go to spam, don't send, or aren't received they'd shit themselves. It can be a nightmare sometimes. Doesn't mean they don't have your money and are happy to let you be, but there are members here that will have to use alternate addresses sometimes to get my emails. We run ours through Gmail.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    There's a lot more wrong with this than what's been listed, but it is possible that your emails aren't getting through. If people knew just how often emails go to spam, don't send, or aren't received they'd shit themselves. It can be a nightmare sometimes. Doesn't mean they don't have your money and are happy to let you be, but there are members here that will have to use alternate addresses sometimes to get my emails. We run ours through Gmail.
    Could you give me some insight as to what you mean by more wrong then listed? PM if you feel privacy matters

Could you give me some insight as to what you mean by more wrong then listed? PM if you feel privacy matters
    That material is trash, it will crack. It comes and goes every few years.

The clip is right above a sharp line formed into the shell. The way that clip is pulled on and off the belt is tough on shells to begin with, but forming a sharp(er) line right where it's at, while not maximizing the material in bending, is a bad start.

Rubber washers under the clip is also a bad idea. Folks do this because they think it helps prevent the shell from breaking, but all it does is prevent the screws from reaching full torque. If you do get a good torque, use a chart for 8-32, you smash the piss outta the washers anyway.

On a positive note, they do actually use the correct screws inside the finish washers, but I suspect there's a little bit of wiggle on the clip and wing. Not a glaring issue, and more so, if you dig the look it's cool. I'd drop the rubber, but you're still gonna have shell issues.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    That material is trash, it will crack. It comes and goes every few years.

The clip is right above a sharp line formed into the shell. The way that clip is pulled on and off the belt is tough on shells to begin with, but forming a sharp(er) line right where it's at, while not maximizing the material in bending, is a bad start.

Rubber washers under the clip is also a bad idea. Folks do this because they think it helps prevent the shell from breaking, but all it does is prevent the screws from reaching full torque. If you do get a good torque, use a chart for 8-32, you smash the piss outta the washers anyway.

On a positive note, they do actually use the correct screws inside the finish washers, but I suspect there's a little bit of wiggle on the clip and wing. Not a glaring issue, and more so, if you dig the look it's cool. I'd drop the rubber, but you're still gonna have shell issues.
    Wow, yeah, now that you mention it there is wiggle and the clip does seem to “ghost” every time I tried a different cant angle...the company FINALLY responded and basically played the “hmmm, I gotta talk to my holster guys to find out the problem is” type response but did make an offer for me to return holster but I’m not sure if I want anything to do with there design now that you and everyone else pointed out key issues...here’s the killer...this is the file for there cnc machine design and I kinda doubt they have the know how to alter/create files..,so who knows

Wow, yeah, now that you mention it there is wiggle and the clip does seem to “ghost” every time I tried a different cant angle...the company FINALLY responded and basically played the “hmmm, I gotta talk to my holster guys to find out the problem is” type response but did make an offer for me to return holster but I’m not sure if I want anything to do with there design now that you and everyone else pointed out key issues...here’s the killer...this is the file for there cnc machine design and I kinda doubt they have the know how to alter/create files..,so who knows
    What do you mean this is the file for their CNC machine?

User Tag List