Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: S&W 43C vs 317

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Very nice S&W - have one of those on my short list. Unfortunately they have gotten a bit pricey.
    Details (vintage, etc.)?

Name:  CA229696-A0F9-4F6B-8FED-AA3338D08426.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  80.1 KB

Original box and papers

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    Got the XS sight on today and I didn’t know this thing had a lumen rating...

Seriously this is my running gun and I run in the dark of the early morning or the light of the moon and this tritium/luminescent painted sight is gonna be great. I hope to be able to shoot it tomorrow and see where it hits.
    Snap! That’s not the same one I ordered but totally wish it was. That looks awesome!

This is the standard dot, I think the big dot would blind a fellow!

I did shoot it today and when I don’t drop the dot to see where I hit, it hits close enough. Groups are better and there is no left or right hits. I totally believe that rounded globe that came on it made my POI shift as the light did. This one is flat faced. I would prefer a little shorter sight so I could use a 6:00 hold but I understand that’s not how we are supposed to do it now. Old habits...
    15 yards with Federal bulk pack

Did a walk back of sorts, small circle at 5 yards, medium circle at 10, large circle at 15

Switched ammo to Winchester Power Points and aimed at the C at 10 yards

I need to work on keeping the sight on the target and follow through.
    Last edited by TWR; 05-20-2021 at 09:35 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I found the shiny flat surface of the tritium vial in the Big Dot on the front of my M&P 340 can reflect a light that's behind me in the dimly lit indoor range and play hell with my use of the front sight if all the angles line up just wrong.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

FYI, I called XS today to inquire about a shorter sight but they do not make one. Said they knew of the problems with the rimfire J frames, ballistics and lack of recoil make them shoot low.

So probably a great option for a 357 but there are better options for a 22. I’ll mess with this a little more but may opt for something else later on.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you find an appropriate (fiber or other) front sight, that allows a conventional sight picture, please post the link!
    Name:  IMG_6282.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  37.6 KB Name:  IMG_6283.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  40.5 KB

The first picture is the 43c with a HIVIZ front sight that is .125" wide and .140" tall. It gives a pretty good sight picture with plenty of light on each side of the sight when down completely in the notch. I shot groups at distance from 5 yards to 25 yards and it hits low. I did the Dawson calculator and it needs a sight .110" tall. Dawson has a .110" tall by .100" wide fiber optic and I will probably get one. https://dawsonprecision.com/s-w-pinn...-front-sights/ Cylinder and Slide has a .112" tall with unknown width. https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0430F

I shot about 80 rounds of Velocitors, Mini Mags and Aguila with g easy ejection of all and no light strikes. I ran my thumb around the loaded rounds each time.

the last picture is a 342 with factory painted sight.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Name:  IMG_6282.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  37.6 KB Name:  IMG_6283.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  40.5 KB

The first picture is the 43c with a HIVIZ front sight that is .125" wide and .140" tall. It gives a pretty good sight picture with plenty of light on each side of the sight when down completely in the notch. I shot groups at distance from 5 yards to 25 yards and it hits low. I did the Dawson calculator and it needs a sight .110" tall. Dawson has a .110" tall by .100" wide fiber optic and I will probably get one. https://dawsonprecision.com/s-w-pinn...-front-sights/ Cylinder and Slide has a .112" tall with unknown width. https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0430F

I shot about 80 rounds of Velocitors, Mini Mags and Aguila with g easy ejection of all and no light strikes. I ran my thumb around the loaded rounds each time.

the last picture is a 342 with factory painted sight.

I have been wanting to do this to my my 43c, thanks for crunching the numbers!

I installed a Dawson .110" tall by .100" wide on my 43c and it shoots POA/POI with CCI Mini Mags and Velocitors out to 25 yards. Minor differences at closer distances, but very usable. I like the deep, wide rear notch on the 43c.

I have been running my thumb over the cartridges when I load and haven't had any light strikes. I get easy ejection with CCI. What is happening for the folks who had problems with Mini Mags. I tried SK Pistol Match and I had to push the ejector rod against something solid to eject.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I have been running my thumb over the cartridges when I load and haven't had any light strikes.
    This is one of those things that makes all the difference with the 43c.
    Mine uses a hammer spring that was a takeoff from a 442, and still sets off 99+% of all ammo loaded in this fashion. Stainless model 63 with same centerfire spring has been 100%.
    Hat tip to Claude Werner on the spring idea.

Tried similar with the 351c, that thing only likes the factory spring, was very unreliable with the Wolff reduced or any other options.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Attachment 71412

I bought these very recently and I think I paid in the low 500 range?

I figure if I’m carrying a small revolver it’ll be an LCR9 for ballistic and reloading reasons, so went for LCR type trainers.

@GJM Here is another option too. Airsoft. Great for contact practice and hip shooting.

Attachment 71411
    Having a tough time finding a source of a 442 airsoft. Saw an old listing of a Tanaka 442 airsoft on ebay that indicated the bidding was over $300. Wuuuuut?

Are these still a thing?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List