Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 43C vs 317

S&W 43C vs 317

I recently bought a 43C, to get more J frame trigger time at low cost and with low recoil. Works as you would expect, other than, surprising to me, it doesn't like Mini Mags. An objective with a .22, for training and other uses, is to be able to accurately place those little pills. The sights on the 43C, while visible, are not ideal for my use in precisely placing shots, as the sight picture is not conventional, meaning lining up the top edge of the front sight in the rear notch.

Yesterday, I pulled out the 317 that I used to get better shooting one hand, and I instantly remembered how much I like it. With the adjustable rear and conventional front, that I painted orange, it is upper A zone accurate at 25 yards. The three inch barrel is obviously a disadvantage for pocket carry, but for everything else, I can shoot circles around the 43C with the 317.

Name:  5B707F1D-0A4A-4CA8-BCAC-A5E39F5D610D.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  87.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This is why I want one of those 3" LCRx .22s
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Me too. They came back in stock at Grabagun recently and I was a little surprised, over $600.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Me too. They came back in stock at Grabagun recently and I was a little surprised, over $600.
    Great googly moogly!

That's easily a 33% mark up. Scalpers...
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I agree that the 43c sights are lacking for precision. So, after reading this thread I switched out the dot for a ramp sight that I had taken off a 342. The pin hole didn't exactly line up but it looks like it wouldn't be hard to make a proper front sight or use one of the aftermarket sights. I'll probably try to find a fiber optic with a flat top.

Name:  IMG_6230.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6232.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  40.3 KB

I decided to see how the 43c shot with the ramp sight. The front sight is .125" wide by .125" tall. The rear U notch is .140" wide and .090" deep. It gives a pretty good sight picture in good light. It was originally a red ramp that I had painted green. I'll probably try to find a fiber optic sight the correct size. The original dot sight is .140" wide and .145" tall so it pretty much filled the rear notch and was hard to get a definite sight picture.

I held top of the front sight even with the top of the rear notch. I shot 5 each of Mini Mags and Velocitors at 10 yards. I shot 8 of each from 25 yards. Circled shots with a connecting line are Velocitors from 25. Stars are Mini Mags from 25. The other circles are Mini Mags from 10 and the squares are Velocitors from 10 yards.

I had 2 light strikes with the Mini Mags, but the Velocitors have worked very well. I try to keep the chambers brushed out pretty often. I have good ejection with most ammo till the chambers get dirty, then I get sticky extraction but a good push always ejects.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post

I had 2 light strikes with the Mini Mags, but the Velocitors have worked very well.
    43Cs do not seem to like Mini mags for some reason. Yours makes 4/4 for the ones I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Name:  IMG_6232.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  40.3 KB

I decided to see how the 43c shot with the ramp sight. The front sight is .125" wide by .125" tall. The rear U notch is .140" wide and .090" deep. It gives a pretty good sight picture in good light. It was originally a red ramp that I had painted green. I'll probably try to find a fiber optic sight the correct size. The original dot sight is .140" wide and .145" tall so it pretty much filled the rear notch and was hard to get a definite sight picture.

I held top of the front sight even with the top of the rear notch. I shot 5 each of Mini Mags and Velocitors at 10 yards. I shot 8 of each from 25 yards. Circled shots with a connecting line are Velocitors from 25. Stars are Mini Mags from 25. The other circles are Mini Mags from 10 and the squares are Velocitors from 10 yards.

I had 2 light strikes with the Mini Mags, but the Velocitors have worked very well. I try to keep the chambers brushed out pretty often. I have good ejection with most ammo till the chambers get dirty, then I get sticky extraction but a good push always ejects.
    If you find an appropriate (fiber or other) front sight, that allows a conventional sight picture, please post the link!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you find an appropriate (fiber or other) front sight, that allows a conventional sight picture, please post the link!
    Dawson has .110" or .145 tall by .100" wide. Cylinder and Slide has .112" or .149" tall, unknown width and HIVIZ has .150" tall by .125" wide. I will keep looking to see if I can find .125" tall. I might try a green HIVIZ. I've been using drive the dot on my Glocks??

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Name:  32631E85-59BB-4971-A0F8-46080CA4A87C.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  65.7 KB

I bought these very recently and I think I paid in the low 500 range?

I figure if I’m carrying a small revolver it’ll be an LCR9 for ballistic and reloading reasons, so went for LCR type trainers.

@GJM Here is another option too. Airsoft. Great for contact practice and hip shooting.

Name:  0DB37D2F-430F-4073-9A67-24F48303AA13.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  25.3 KB

User Tag List