Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 43C vs 317

Name:  4F7CE2E7-1CBB-4A1D-A251-BDD7A89C31B6.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  104.5 KB

Picked up these recently as 22LR trainers too.

The J frame has a blade rear and ramp front. Eats mini mags just fine.

@GJM maybe that model is an option for your J frame training?

Interestingly enough, I’ve had the opposite experience. My 43c has no issues with Mini Mags, Stingers, or Velocitors. My 317 however, would heat up and the cylinder face would drag on the forcing cone. That was reason enough to trade it off. The front sight on the 43c is adequate for making consistent head shots at 15 yards.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 05-13-2021 at 08:26 PM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    43Cs do not seem to like Mini mags for some reason. Yours makes 4/4 for the ones I know of.
    I thought mine had shot Mini Mags OK before. I usually thumb the cartridges to make sure they seat. One of the light strikes went off with a second hit and the other I ejected and turned it before I tried it again. Both fired the second hit.

I think the chambers have to be kept really clean on these.

Cylinder and Slide has black blanks that could be trimmed down to the correct height.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Interestingly enough, I’ve had the opposite experience. My 43c has no issues with Mini Mags, Stingers, or Velocitors. My 317 however, would heat up and the cylinder face would drag on the forcing cone. That was reason enough to trade it off. The front sight on the 43c is adequate for making consistent head shots at 15 yards.
    My 317 is an older, pre lock model, and it runs and runs. I try to remember to clean it quickly every 5 or 10 thousand rounds.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I recently bought a 43C, to get more J frame trigger time at low cost and with low recoil. Works as you would expect, other than, surprising to me, it doesn't like Mini Mags. An objective with a .22, for training and other uses, is to be able to accurately place those little pills. The sights on the 43C, while visible, are not ideal for my use in precisely placing shots, as the sight picture is not conventional, meaning lining up the top edge of the front sight in the rear notch.

Yesterday, I pulled out the 317 that I used to get better shooting one hand, and I instantly remembered how much I like it. With the adjustable rear and conventional front, that I painted orange, it is upper A zone accurate at 25 yards. The three inch barrel is obviously a disadvantage for pocket carry, but for everything else, I can shoot circles around the 43C with the 317.

Attachment 71372
    Dat 317 kit gun...yo! I need me one of those.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

That airsoft trainer... Please tell me more!
    Never seen a J Framey Airsoft gun. Is the trigger a good facsimile?

I have a love hate relationship with my 43c, some days I can shoot it fairly well, others not so much. I thought I had it figured out and assumed it was the big white globe of a front sight reflecting the sun at different angles causing my POI to shift. I had a 640-1 with the XS night sight in it and didn't have nearly the trouble sighting it, I might order another one and try it. Or see if Dawson has anything suitable...
    https://www.xssights.com/Standard_Do....aspx?CAT=8376
    Last edited by TWR; 05-13-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    That airsoft trainer... Please tell me more!
    Never seen a J Framey Airsoft gun. Is the trigger a good facsimile?

There was a phase when I was starting out with guns that I used Airsoft instead of dryfire.

I got Airsoft versions of most of my carry type guns including a G42.

Was helpful learning index in point shooting and awkward draw angles as I was greener.

At this point, I’m comfortable with my index and I have a good stock of frangible 38 special and 9mm for up close steel work so I haven’t used it in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My 317 is an older, pre lock model, and it runs and runs. I try to remember to clean it quickly every 5 or 10 thousand rounds.
    Your range log for it must be impressive.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Your range log for it must be impressive.
    I don't keep formal range logs. I bought it when the 317 was introduced, which I believe was 1997. It was a trainer and lightweight carry before Scandium revolvers were common. After I first went to the Rogers School, and realized how much I sucked shooting one hand, I shot it some nearly every range session for a few years. Since then, I have used it more conventionally as a kit gun, carrying it in a left hand AIWB holster in AK, to harvest game birds and plink.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List