Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Medium Power Variables on general use AR's

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    The Trijicon just feels like they got 80% of the way and stopped. The reticle I find is a little too fine for use below 4-5x, and so instead you end using the two horizontal and single vertical stadia. there are about 25 MRAD between the horizontal stadia, which is a fairly coarse sight picture. It works OK, I just feel they could've optimized the reticle design a bit more for the lower range mag.

Also really wish they had done 10 mil/rev for their turrents. No idea why they settled on 8 mil/rev.

Similarly, the objective at 36mm feels just a bit small... the GLx has a 40mm objective IIRC and comes in at the same weight just about.

Finally, I feel like the scope would benefit from parallax adjustment knob (parallax is fixed at 100yd iirc). The GLx has one for the same magnification range. Given that I can easily take the rifle out to 600yd or farther with heavy bullets and altitude on my side, it's a little frustrating they didn't include a parallax knob.

It's still the best option out there for $1k or less, though. I wouldn't take my purchase back at all. Also I'm pretty happy with the Arisaka mount and the Holosun, though I am thinking of replacing the 503c with a 507k. A slimmer MRDS seems like it would be less in the way.
    Well that's disappointing about the Trijicon. I hope more options come out soon. I am eagerly awaiting the Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18x with the new reticles coming out. It has seemed like the perfect scope for what I want except that it has never had a Christmas tree reticle, but it seems that's changing.

I had the same dilemma about which offset dot and decided that the 403/503 is much more durable and cheaper than the mini dots. I think I would be pissed at myself if I put one of my 508t's on an offset, dropped the rifle, and cracked the lens. The 509t has crossed my mind though, but the cost issue remains even if durability is getting closer to the 403/503.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    I went the other way. I started out with a 3.5-10 Leupold scope and kept that power range just tried the few available reticles. Mil dot, Boone and a Crocket and duplex were all I tried and I tried M1 knobs for dialing. Ran these setups for years hunting coyotes and critters. Then realized I never really used the high end except for very few longer shots.

Started with LPVO’s and evolved to the Trijicon Accupower 1-4 which I have on a couple of guns now. I did try the 3-9 Super Chicken from SWFA and it’s without a doubt the best 3-9 out there for a do it all scope. It was just that other than shooting plates at range, I didn’t use the dials or the extra power. And for the 223/556, I am less than impressed with that round past 500 yards. For that distance my 1-4’s work well enough but truth be told, I limit my hunting shots to 400 yards while 99% of my shots are under 100. Note that my AR’s are all carbines built as light as reasonably possible. In fact all my bolt guns but one are Kimber Montana’s. One is a 223 with a 2.5-8 Leupold, one is a 204 with a 3.5-10 and my long range gun is a 22-250AI wearing the 3-9 Super Chicken. The only heavy gun I have is an 18” SPR Bergara in 6.5 CM wearing a fixed 10x Super Chicken for the adjustable parallax and it only gets shot on my steel range.

I did try an offset red dot recently and I just can’t get used to it. So for now I’m thinking the LPVO is about perfect for me. I can remember to aim high easier than hunting a red dot while twisting my rifle. I didn’t put enough time trying the offset dot and may revisit the idea again but for now I’m good.
    I think over 10x isn't nearly as useful but since larger mag ranges are more common now, I see no problem with a 3-15x or 3-18x and using the high end for spotting. I think the trouble might come up if the reticle is designed for just the extreme high end.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    The most interesting scope I've seen released in this category category recently is the Athlon Helos Gen2 2-12
    https://athlonoptics.com/product/hel...x42-dmr-scope/

I just wish it weighed 6oz less.
    I wish they made a lower mag range, lighter, Cronus btr gen ii. I nearly bought that scope for this purpose but felt the weight and mag range were overkill.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I think the old answer was always a Nightforce but I am hoping more options become available over time.

I'm curious about what disappointed you with the Trijicon though
    NF is still the answer. The NXS is > $1k but you can get a 3-10x SHV for $1k and it is 20.8 ounces which is under the OP's 24 ounce spec.

Pressburg made a big argument about using a mid-power with a piggybacked mini-RDS for a do-everything rifle (which I'm not convinced is the same as a general purpose rifle, but semantics, I guess). His solution was a Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18×44 with an RDS on top (don't remember if it was an Aimpoint, DPP, or RMR). The MK5HD doesn't seem to have any real equals in its niche, as best I can think of off the top of my head, at 26 oz.

How's the eyebox on the NXS and the MK5HD?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    At $1750 for the NF - a nearly 20 y/o scope - I'd honestly just get the Vortex Razor 1-10 instead.

I’ve spent some time on Razor and Viper 1-6s and the Razor 1-10. The latter usually had an offset RDS to play with. I liked the mechanics of the offset rds but didn’t like the bulk or the one sidedness. I ditched the 1-10 to switch reticles but haven’t replaced it yet so this is more of a concept than a tested theory but I’m pretty convinced that the Razor 1-10 MRAD in a Badger C1 1.7 Mount with a top mounted RM06 is the final solution. It’s mucho $$$ but I justify it as a significant capability which should make up for a lack of skill and practice to some extent. Plus it is the standard for rule number one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Yes and frankly I was disappointed at my options for scopes.

I detailed this in the LPVO thread but I was looking for a 2-10ish FFP scope with a decent illuminated reticle <24oz of weight. I came down to basically two options in the $1k or less range: the Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 and the Primary arms GLx 2.5-10x40 something.
    Vudo/EOTech had a 2.5-10x up until just recently on thier website. I think it would have met your requirements. And it was available with a Horus reticle.

Even though it appears to have been discontinued it might be possible to find one NOS somewhere.

Site Supporter
    I've been trying a medium power variable as a lighter alternative to a Razor when using my general purpose 16" AR for hunting. I've tried a few more precision-oriented optics, but I'm now using the SWFA Ultralight BDC model in an Aero mount. https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x...e-scope-1.html

It doesn't have all the features of some other scopes, but it's tough to beat a 12.5 oz optic and mount weight. I also really like the reticle. I don't have any idea how durable it is, but it is made in Japan (not sure if SWFA uses LOW for all the SS line).

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I've been trying a medium power variable as a lighter alternative to a Razor when using my general purpose 16" AR for hunting. I've tried a few more precision-oriented optics, but I'm now using the SWFA Ultralight BDC model in an Aero mount. https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x...e-scope-1.html

It doesn't have all the features of some other scopes, but it's tough to beat a 12.5 oz optic and mount weight. I also really like the reticle. I don't have any idea how durable it is, but it is made in Japan (not sure if SWFA uses LOW for all the SS line).
    Vortex has some similar Razor models like that

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Vortex has some similar Razor models like that
    The LHT models? They're quite a bit more scope than the SWFA, but that comes at double the weight and triple the cost.

User Tag List